Loki (Disney+)

While I didn't enjoy the ending of Season one, I liked it as a whole, and after watching "1893", I think Season two is improving.
Where can you possibly go on from there except to do more of the same, or to backtrack?
With "1893", what we are finally getting now, is an "origin" story for the TWA, and for 'He Who Remains’. I would have like to have had this earlier. It is a much better story to tell.
The Loki episode “1893” saw the return of the TVA’s mascot and everyone’s favorite sentient clock, Miss Minutes.. Though they are successful in inspiring this variant, Victor Timely ...to pursue the life’s work of his predecessor, Miss Minutes betrays Ravonna and convinces Timely to leave her behind... At first this betrayal seems like it may have been part of He Who Remains’ plan all along...
However, this variant of 'He Who Remains’ appears completely clueless and only following the instructions of his future self, without knowing why. I'm not sure who decided that Miss Minutes is "everyone’s favorite sentient clock" as I could do without that character, and I don't understand the motives of Ravonna Renslayer in this. "Love" for the future variant cannot stop her seeing that the chaos being caused in the timestreams is a bad idea for everyone including herself.

The earlier two episodes were just setting this up, but like @ctg I did have a few problems with the way some new characters were parachuted in from nowhere:
The magical part was that he'd been down there, in his office for not seeing Mobius for, "four hundred years,"... Nobody had been visiting him since.
He spent hundreds of years in a basement office like agent Fox Mulder, and now he is indispensable to fixing everything going wrong, and he seems to be running the whole TWA single handedly.

By the way, the first time we heard Brad's name was third of the episode in, which isn't good because the name should have been dropped earlier. Then it was even more unbelievable that the prisoner in question tried to outrank the interrogators, because Brad told Loki that all he'd ever done had made it worse.
I actually thought that I wasn't paying attention and we had been introduced to Brad already. I'm glad it wasn't only me thinking, "Who is Brad?" He did seem to be getting a lot of stick for only doing what everyone was told last season, namely that they could have real lives outside of the TWA.

AdODKpt.jpg

Apologies for those who waited for the post. Couldn't write it because of my mindset. It simply wasn't there.

Let's hope this one is a good one...
IlAf4uh.jpg

"He wasn't always alone," Ms Minutes said. That is the big secret? Man, by simply having Ms Minutes there with him defies that solitude. In the Marvel Lore, he has his companion, like Molok that the audience saw in the latest instalment of AntMan. So it's not like he was alone and brooding in it, it's the smoke and mirror tactics to make him appear as if he has been always alone.

Sure, Kang made his promises to Renslayer for them to be together in "utopia" for all eternity. But that was just that promises for his general. Ones he was never going to keep as he ordered Ms Minutes to wipe TVA's memories once that other Kang's had been removed from the path of He Who Remains.

Ms Minutes never revealed to Renslayer the why's because the woman didn't need to know everything. After all Ms Minutes was after everything. "We don't need him," she said. "Maybe we never did." Which most certainly is the truth. The universe doesn't need the gatekeeper of time.

In fantasy theory it's possible that Kang is the reason why there is multiverse in the first place, because MCU was going along the path it had chosen as it deviated from the comics' lore. It could have been a single string instead of driving forward the divination.

Renslayer didn't think about it.
o6hHMgq.jpg

Chicken or the egg? That is the question. At least in my mind, because I am wondering who was the first? Did Victor Timely destined to become He Who Remains, create TVA or was it some other Variant?

Those questions might have gone in his mind as well, because Victor was freaked out while wandering through the corridors. He could not really comprehend what he was seeing and it was right that Loki approached him like any other subjects brought in his realm. He knew exactly that Victor was on the verge of panicking and therefore cocking up everything, when they simply needed him to co-operate.

The best scene in this episode was OB meeting Victor and Loki realizing that they had the chicken-and-egg problem. "Which came first?" Loki asked.

"It's like a snake eating its own tail," Mobius answered just before OB and Victor tried to sign each other handbooks. Sylvie was the party pooper for remaining them that the Loom would still need fixing...
wDbf8Gf.jpg

OB's model is the best thing. It made me laugh so hard and also think what could possibly go wrong? The slight cockup in the scene is that OB already knew that Victor was in the possession of a Throughput Multiplier, even though it had not been brought up a solution for their Loom problem.

Another thing is that the writers invented another problem and even though a logical, the Loom simply wasn't big enough to handle all the strands. It needed expanding. And one to do the job wasn't going to be Mobius, especially after OB explained that the whole bridge had been swamped by "Temporal Radiation." That task of the repairman was going to be in Loki's hands, for being the one that caused the problem in the first place.

Then just as that was clear, Victor interrupted the planning meeting to only bring out his prototype in the play. Consequently also named as the same device. Can you see the confusion?

If that wasn't it, Sylvie pooped again in Mobius pie plan, by complaining that the man wasn't taking the matter seriously, because "the time branches were dying." She could not understand stress eating, instead it was as if she wanted everyone to be freaked out as she was instead of accepting that every plan has a waiting period.

Another woman who acted the same was General Cox. She wanted to sulk, while Brad wanted to get out and he had an idea of trying to find a solution from the idea pool. The general couldn't stomach it because she was too busy on pointing fingers. To everyone, including B-15 who came in to ask for her help instead of accepting that she was already their military leader.

Pentagon has thousands of generals, TVA only has one. Why?

It is an interesting dilemma to handle when they have such a small cast and the place is shown to be an endless place of futuristic houses and institutes. But all of that was robbed by the angry women. Sylvie even wanted to "...burn the place down and start from the scratch."

Oh, how far we have come to abandon the repair culture and accept 'buy a new thing if the old one isn't working,' as the only solution. Loki had to explain her, "Trying to fix things that are broken is hard. Hope is hard," without adding that there's no building material suppliers for the temporal agencies. And therefore starting from the scratch is the hardest thing.

Sylvie replied, "Okay, so Timely can save the TVA. Then, we hope that the TVA turns into something good. Then, we hope that Timely doesn't turn into He Who Remains or someone worse. That's a lot of hoping..."

"It's the best option we have," Loki replied.

The woman couldn't accept it, and Loki had to explain to her that by doing so they'd have a chance to interfere if something veered badly with Timely. It is a good plan instead of wrecking everything before the TVA replacement can even be manufactured.

Asgard is still in ruins at the MCU and nobody's fixing it. All they needed was to accept that they played after the part of gods.
3XqEL5K.jpg

The peg in the gears, Renslayer and Ms Minutes recruiting General Cox for the burn party. All they needed was to follow her "through the door" to bring back stability in the TVA, because clearly that is the problem. And in the return, the variants would have a chance for a life in their timeline.

Brad was the only one who accepted the choice. The rest was turned to bloody pulp. And the most delighted one was Ms Minutes. It was almost as if she got a psychopaths orgasm from the slaughter. Their next target was Mr Timely, which Brad captured pretty easily. And then the burning down the world could continue.

JbXJX1i.jpg

Because of it, Loki came to the most interesting dilemma. Killing himself. All while he was hunting down Ms Minutes taking over the facility and applying administration lock on everything while the TVA was crumbling. The only solution was turn off her servers.

Funnily enough, it was something OB could do from the control room. Doing so Ms Minutes went out and as she did, she told Victor, "You can never be him." Then it was Renslayer's turn to get pruned by the traitor Brad. All while he was under Sylvie's spell.

Two witches down, Timely was rescued, and the repair plan could carry on. Not only Kang opened TVA lockdown, he also volunteered to be the repair guy. After all he was the inventor. But as soon as he went out through the blast doors, he was spagettified.

There was nothing they could do before the Loom exploded. All thanks to the Angry Women.
IMDB score: 9.0 (5.1k votes) Runtime: 50 minutes

Loki as a reluctant Hero . Interesting

Good or bad you help but like him . He's such an interesting character.:cool:

And the most delighted one was Ms Minutes.
Does anyone else think it's strange, how during this series we have gone from the villain of the piece being the TVA (and its hierarchy and minutemen) itself, to He Who Remains/Victor Timely, to Ravonna Renslayer alone, and now to the Artificial Intelligence Ms Minutes?

But it is always the AI's fault in SF dramas now! If it ever was not...

TV Tropes said:
Whenever an Artificial Intelligence (A.I.) is introduced in a story, there is a very good chance that it will, for whatever reason, become evil and attempt to Turn Against Its Masters, Kill All Humans, and/or Take Over the World.

Reactions: ctg
Does anyone else think it's strange, how during this series we have gone from the villain of the piece being the TVA (and its hierarchy and minutemen) itself, to He Who Remains/Victor Timely, to Ravonna Renslayer alone, and now to the Artificial Intelligence Ms Minutes?
Yes I do. It's almost as if they cannot think better plot. Something that would require more than two braincells. I didn't even consider Ms Minutes as a big time villain, but they made it, because she's pissed at men and therefore wants the world to burn. Which reminds me of one of the Steven King stories, the Langoliers. It was original dimension stuff with a psyko or rather a pyro, who simply were fed up on everything and therefore wanted the world to burn.

Ms Minutes doesn't have an agenda. She just wants to see what'll happen when the timeloop is completely wrecked. With everyone gone, who she is going to pissed at? So disappointing.

I leave this here. It is a long read in the issues, and it also suggests that Kang might be phasing out from the MCU due to Major's trial. What it clearly shows is the executive meddling, and one of the last quotes is revealing on what goes on Disney exec's head.

“With Marvel, it used to be as close to a guarantee as you could get,” says Paul Dergarabedian, a box office analyst at Comscore. “So, going all in on the budgets made sense. ‘Guardians 3’ was a bit overlooked in how successful it was. But that had James Gunn and Chris Pratt, and I think star power is becoming more important. Then there was ‘Quantummania’ with $476 million. Anything under a half billion dollars is viewed as a disappointment. And these overreaching expectations are a result of so much success over the years.”

It's all about the money, not the quality and even though it's not written in black, Disney uses its franchises to milk people. That is the problem! The fandom has its limits.

I leave this here. It is a long read in the issues, and it also suggests that Kang might be phasing out from the MCU due to Major's trial. What it clearly shows is the executive meddling, and one of the last quotes is revealing on what goes on Disney exec's head.

It's all about the money, not the quality and even though it's not written in black, Disney uses its franchises to milk people. That is the problem! The fandom has its limits.
There will be a season 3