Stasis technology: The stasis fridge.

Suspect there would be an immediate rush to use the technology for the immortality industry, or those with incurable diseases.
I didn't have the right glasses on and read that as "immorality industry". I only re-read because I couldn't immediately think of useful applications.:rolleyes:

The effect on vegetables would be huge. I buy bags of salad but often do not eat it fast enough. It gets soggy and yukky even in the fridge. I probably waste at least a third of it.

Date stamps would become nearly meaningless.

The effect on vegetables would be huge.
A definite yes for salads, and also for seasonal vegetables being available at any time of the year, fresh herbs and spices rather than dried. But would items like sundried tomatoes, or processed food and concentrates be made completely redundant? They are still easier to use, and some people choose ease over quality. There are also foods that have their taste improved with age i.e. the hanging of game and other meats.

The effect on vegetables would be huge. I buy bags of salad but often do not eat it fast enough. It gets soggy and yukky even in the fridge. I probably waste at least a third of it.

Date stamps would become nearly meaningless.
Same here and why do I often make the mistake of buying two bags when I rarely use one a week.

IMO the fridges would all end up massive, like walk in size.

Also would they also preserve heat? Like you could put a full roast in, straight from the oven, and pull it back out in three years and give it "careful, that's hot"

would they also preserve heat?
If they stop Time itself then they would have to surely?

The Dune novels also have "nullentropy" containers, but they were a staple of Larry Niven stories and frequently appear in them (including in the animated Star Trek episode). The stasis boxes were used to store valuables; protected for safekeeping for billions of years. Items found within them from old civilisations were world-changing in themselves. However, he also had stasis fields aboard ships that activated in emergencies to protect the occupants. The occupants would obviously die if there was a loss of heat during stasis.

They could also be used for setting booby traps i.e. a box containing nuclear bomb

Another thought: @hitmouse mentioned that an absolute of anything is impossible but I was thinking why not put one stasis fridge/box inside another stasis fridge/box, inside another, inside another...? Larry Niven avoids that by saying that the stasis fields have particles whose physical properties prevent one field from existing inside another. Precedence is taken by the larger field. Damn!

Wouldn't the outer stasis box freeze all power traveling to the inner box?
I hadn't thought of that! We'd need to use Handwavium® brand stasis resistant cables.

(But it's really part of the bigger problem i.e. what power supply are you going to use that lasts billions of years anyway.)

If they stop Time itself then they would have to surely?
That's one of the insights that is used in the Stasis Stories I referred to early in this thread.

I hadn't thought of that! We'd need to use Handwavium® brand stasis resistant cables.

(But it's really part of the bigger problem i.e. what power supply are you going to use that lasts billions of years anyway.)
Obviously the fridge can use zero point energy. Dilithium crystals do last a long time though, especially if connected to a flux capacitor.

Back