What Short Story Do You Love Above all Others ?

"Dormant" by A. E. Van Vogt, it's one of those stories seen mainly through the eyes of the machine, rather like 'I Made You" by Walter M. Miller Jr, another great story.
This was one of the first SF short stories I read as a boy, from one of the Faber & Faber best SF series edited I think by Edmund Crispin, I think it was the first story in volume one, it really made an impression on me, I can remember sitting and reading it in my father's car having just got it fresh from Nuneaton Library, great final line!
Van Vogt also wrote a story about how aliens accidentally resurrect a superhuman from an earth where all intelligent life has been wiped out by a cosmic storm, can't remember the title, maybe "Resurrection" not sure, very good ending in this one too.
Also Hugo winning "Exploration Team" and "A Logic Named Joe" both by Murray Leinster
"Four In One" which starts with the hero being eaten alive and "The Country Of The Kind" both by Damon Knight and both excellent!
"The New One" by Frederick Brown, a gem of a fantasy, love the ending in this one, plus of course his single page gem "Answer", this story cannot be bettered!
Where do I begin with Henry Kuttner, he wrote so many great stories, I just can't start to list them, try to get "The Best Of Henry Kuttner" which is a Ballentine paperback out of print but they might still be some out there!
"He Walked Around The Horses" by Harry Turtledove, did not get the punchline on this one until years after I first read it as a boy, by then I was interested by history, also his great "The Road Not Taken", "In The Presence Of My Enemies" which is a bit disturbing, he also wrote one about Ghandi trying to deal with the conquering Nazi Germans as if they were reasonable human beings like the British, plus a very surprising story about a vampire imprisoned deep underground in the Vatican!
Will type out a few more when my old befuddled brain can think of them!
There is some great stuff out there, so it's worth wading through the heaps of mediocrity and tripe to get to them!!!

Last edited:
For me, it's the classic Robert A Heinlein short story "All You Zombies". The time paradox story that all time travel stories have followed, but not Hollywood. :cry:

Coyote Peyote by Carole Nelson Douglas
Midnight Louie is a hardboiled PI on the mean neon streets of Las Vegas. It just happens Midnight Louie is a cat. Funny and witty but still a noir mystery tail [see what I did there?].

"Dormant" by A. E. Van Vogt, it's one of those stories seen mainly through the eyes of the machine, rather like 'I Made You" by Walter M. Miller Jr, another great story.
This was one of the first SF short stories I read as a boy, from one of the Faber & Faber best SF series edited I think by Edmund Crispin, I think it was the first story in volume one, it really made an impression on me, I can remember sitting and reading it in my father's car having just got it fresh from Nuneaton Library, great final line!
Van Vogt also wrote a story about how aliens accidentally resurrect a superhuman from an earth where all intelligent life has been wiped out by a cosmic storm, can't remember the title, maybe "Resurrection" not sure, very good ending in this one too.
Also Hugo winning "Exploration Team" and "A Logic Named Joe" both by Murray Leinster
"Four In One" which starts with the hero being eaten alive and "The Country Of The Kind" both by Damon Knight and both excellent!
"The New One" by Frederick Brown, a gem of a fantasy, love the ending in this one, plus of course his single page gem "Answer", this story cannot be bettered!
Where do I begin with Henry Kuttner, he wrote so many great stories, I just can't start to list them, try to get "The Best Of Henry Kuttner" which is a Ballentine paperback out of print but they might still be some out there!
"He Walked Around The Horses" by Harry Turtledove, did not get the punchline on this one until years after I first read it as a boy, by then I was interested by history, also his great "The Road Not Taken", "In The Presence Of My Enemies" which is a bit disturbing, he also wrote one about Ghandi trying to deal with the conquering Nazi Germans as if they were reasonable human beings like the British, plus a very surprising story about a vampire imprisoned deep underground in the Vatican!
There is some great stuff out there, so it's worth wading through the heaps of mediocrity and tripe to get to them!!!
You've mentioned lots of great stories. However, "He Walked Around the Horses" was by H. Beam Piper.

The Egg by Andy Weir is a story that always hits me at the end, no matter how many times I've read it.

Oh yeah, just posted elsewhere on Chrons about "And I Awoke And Found Me On The Cold Hill's Side", James Tiptree Jr. Also on the same tip, Sam Delany's "Aye, And Gomorrah". Delany's "Time Considered As A Helix Of Semi-Precious Stones" must have been the first punk sf, though not cyber

Ive seen the Van Vogt story about the resurrected Superhuman under two two titles The Monster and Resurrection . The first title I saw In the Van Vogt anthology Destination Universe which a was also it original title when it was published in 1948. Either way , its a terrific story , one his best. I wish he had written sequel follow up to it.:cool:

REF: johnnyjet.
Quite right, dropped a bit of a clanger there, it was some time later after posting that I realized I mucked up, thanks for the correction!