Rock band and portal

LeeOB

I am trying to remember a book from the 1960s or 1970s that involved a rock band or rock musician that traveled either to a different universe, or parallel universe, or country via a portal. It may have been written by a two-author team

We had a similar query in here a while ago that was eventually found, you may be looking for the same book:

World-Walker by Melissa Michaels

The Time of the Hawklords or one of its sequels, by Michael Moorcock and Michael Butterworth?

1970s, featuring the band Hawkwind. Odd postapocalyptic hippie space-rock fantasy.

Last edited:
Will check them both out, thanks.... now I'm worried that is was so long ago that I won't actually remember!

It's not either of these. more like a group of young people (or one musician?) go through to an alternate world. sort of Guy Gabriel Kay in Fionavar, but not! I realize this is so not helpful but please keep trying. Pretty sure it was by a writing duo.

The War of the Flowers by Tad Williams involves a musician in a rock or metal band who goes into a magical world. I think it's too late, though: early 2000s, if I remember rightly.

The War of the Flowers by Tad Williams involves a musician in a rock or metal band who goes into a magical world. I think it's too late, though: early 2000s, if I remember rightly.

Similarly War for the Oaks by Emma Bull, (one of the earliest books in the urban fantasy subgenre) features (spoilers!) a battle of the bands type situation in fairyland - rock musician protagonist, but also later than 70's - 1987.

Please take a look at the standard advice on book search questions. Additional information would very likely help in identifying the book. Even seemingly trivial tidbits or uncertain details can trigger someone else's memory.

In this case, for example, some easy questions that might help you dredge up more details include:

• If there were two authors, was it two men, two women, or one of each? Can you remember any first letters or partial names of either author? Can you remember whether the names reminded you of anything?
  • What was the process for traveling to the other world? Did it require machinery or magic, or was it simply unexplained? Did the protagonist(s) go intentionally or accidentally?
  • What was the other world like? Can you remember any key differences that were mentioned? Any unique animals, physical traits of people, technological devices, or names of people, places or things?
  • Was the protagonist(s) music of a specific subgenre of rock? Was anything mentioned about career, performances or specific songs?

EDIT: I see that this question was also posted elsewhere some time ago with additional details.

Last edited:
Please take a look at the standard advice on book search questions. Additional information would very likely help in identifying the book. Even seemingly trivial tidbits or uncertain details can trigger someone else's memory.

In this case, for example, some easy questions that might help you dredge up more details include:

• If there were two authors, was it two men, two women, or one of each? Can you remember any first letters or partial names of either author? Can you remember whether the names reminded you of anything?
  • What was the process for traveling to the other world? Did it require machinery or magic, or was it simply unexplained? Did the protagonist(s) go intentionally or accidentally?
  • What was the other world like? Can you remember any key differences that were mentioned? Any unique animals, physical traits of people, technological devices, or names of people, places or things?
  • Was the protagonist(s) music of a specific subgenre of rock? Was anything mentioned about career, performances or specific songs?

EDIT: I see that this question was also posted elsewhere some time ago with additional details.
Yes I asked it 6 years ago, none of the answers fit. I thought to try again. I'm not sure about the gender of the 2 authors, and don't remember more. I am not sure why it nags my memory. I have read Emma Bull, Foster and Tad Williams --- I read a lot of sci fi/fantasy plus other fiction. In the 70s I read Zelazny, Russ and Delaney among others. I really appreciate any suggestions, and will diligently check them all

It sounds like a bodacious book and a most excellent adventure! I wonder if it was an influence on Wyld Stallyns? If you ever track it down that is!