DISCUSSION THREAD -- JUNE 2021 75-WORD WRITING CHALLENGE

Congratulations @Cat's Cradle and thanks for the mentions folks.

While not a religious person I've always found it strange those that choose to follow or even worship deities that are meant to be evil, bad, capricious... you get the idea.

The belief system behind these dark deities are quite honest in what they are. Which, to me, makes it even stranger that people worship them. Why follow a deity who will only trick you and are quite open about it?

Many Congratulations @Cat's Cradle
Well deserved.

And well done also @Zoe Mackay and @G.T.

And many thanks to @The Judge for a last day listing and even more thanks to @Zoe Mackay and @Cat's Cradle for your much appreciated votes. And Cat's Cradle, I'm glad you enjoyed the Arizona Swing Sisters - I'd love to have found out more about them.

I like these months when a large percentage of entrants get a vote. I always think it's a wonderful reflection of the quality of the entrants and the diversity of taste.

Wow, how cool! Thank you for the congratulations, everyone. I am gobsmacked to have won this... I thought it was a good story with a nice/funny reveal, and I hoped to receive maybe a vote and some short-listings. But I think this is the most listings (minus votes) I've ever received.

Humungous thank yous to everyone who listed my story, or voted for it... too many to list without making this mega-long. Condolences to Zoe Mackay and G.T. who were right there till the very end.

I haven't won one of these in several years, and I'd forgotten the terror of the post-victory panic to come up with a theme/genre pairing that seems fun, or inspiring (or maybe both). I will try my best to think of something interesting... or unusual... just something...

Okay, must start thinking... to any newer members, the 300 Word Writing Challenge is also held in July. Check out some of the 300 worder threads below this one to see if it might be of interest. Thanks again, all, CC

I voted. Was a fight between Chrispy and Moonbat with Chrispy taking the lead.
Why, thank you muchly sir. As you've met me you know I'm a shortfella, not a longfellow so that was very definiely Loweratha.
And I've just seen I had another tricksy stealth vote -- thank you, Chris P!!
I didn't intend it to be stealthy, but my computer has not been co-operating - playing tricks itself including losing six months of insulin statistics. So my short list was exaggeratedly short.

Oh, and congratulations CC.

I thought I wasn't going to be able to vote tonight. A thunderstorm here resulted in us repeatedly losing power, usually when lightning flashed -- Thor getting annoyed at Loki getting so much attention in the Challenge, or Loki pretending to be Thor...??

Anyhow, not only have we retained power long enough for me to vote, I've also managed to get my shortlist done. As ever a lot of stories I didn't understand, or which to me weren't quite trickster-y enough, but still enough stories for me to form a long shortlist, which is:

bedyak -- Translation
Cat's Cradle -- *Poof*
CupofJoe -- Turning the Tables
G.T. -- Succession
Hugh -- Comeuppance
Luiglin -- I am who I am
Mr Orange -- Trojan
nixie -- WHY YOU SHOULD NEVER TRUST CATS
Ursa major -- Jester Song: "At Twilight!"
Zoe McKay -- Shell Game
I had a hard time coming up with a winner, but eventually I plumped for Mr Orange's Trojan horse, with Ursa's pun-filled tale and CoJ's table turning coming close behind.

Many pranks-thanks for the lovely mentions and shortlistings BTJ, johnnyjet, sule, MRG, Lawrence, Parson and CC and a multiplicity of trickster thanks for the wonderful vote nixie, and for the stealth vote, TDZ!
I appreciate the mention. I found the trickster one the most challenging so far. I'm glad you enjoyed!

Well done, @Cat's Cradle

And a :ninja: vote from @Luiglin. I can only assume it was a mistake :eek: since my effort was barely on theme

And thanks for the mentions

I honestly didn't expect to get anything as it was very last minute for me

And for anyone who didn't get the reference to Loki, a rope and a goat, and why it's not suitable for a family-friendly forum, this might help ;)

And for anyone who didn't get the reference to Loki, a rope and a goat, and why it's not suitable for a family-friendly forum, this might help ;)
It's why I voted for it, that, and the double inference of 'forum'.

It also made me smile on a crappy day.

Last edited:

Back