Whose pen am I holding?

Dan Brown, maybe?

Dan Brown, maybe?

Sorry, no. Although when I was writing it, I started to look more and more like a Dan Brown type of story (although whether his writing style or not I do not know).

I wrote the first part in a way that I feel the author would have started one of his stories. I will do another couple of paragraphs below in a way that I think he would have finished.

Johnson woke from fitful sleep, perspiring and with bedsheets dishevelled. The bedroom was in pitch darkness, which afterwards he thought odd for a midsummer night. As he lay there wondering what time of night it may be, he heard a soft dragging sound coming from the opposite side of the bedroom and slight murmuring. "Who's there?" he demanded, trying to sound braver than he felt "You do realise this room is already occupied?" Then he thought perhaps the person - if it was a person - was more likely to be French; "Qui est la?". But the request only seemed to draw the shuffling , and the murmuring - which now better resembled chattering - closer to his bed.

Trying to steady his hand, he reached across to the lamp on his bedside table. As he did so, his arm was clasped by what he later described as "a claw; soft, wet and fleshy and covered in hair". At this he started in such fright that he swung his arm violently, knocking the lamp over and sending it crashing to the ground. Instantly he was released and a hissing sound was heard receding into the far corner of the room.

I'd like to apologise for comparing your parody writing to Dan Brown.

Weirdly, might it be M.R. James?

Haha, no need to apologise. As a reader I may well have guessed at DB myself.

And yes you are correct in M.R. James. If only I could write a ghost story as well as the master himself I would be a very happy person.

Back