favorite

There are a number of those that I name but Ill start with

Issac Asimov who , had a very long and very illustrious writing career. He gave us His Galactic empire novels , Robot novels, The Foundation series and so many other wonderful books and stories . It put him top of the list .:cool:

It's a good question, Bay. However, it's like asking what is your favorite day. You know? Too many outstanding writers to choose from. Good question though.

With the mind bogglingly vastness of the universe and the number of crazy things that happen in it, scifi has to be tempered with a healthy dose of humour. So Douglas Adams it is then.

I like lesser del Ray but I don't know if he my favorite

Ive read one book by him, Day of Giants. The edition I had was the Airmont book edition in which what was on the cover bore no relation to what the book was about . It was a very good book. :cool:

why wouldn't he

The Incredible Shrinking Man , I am Legend , He wrote for. The Twilight Zone , Did the Screenplay for the Vincent price version of Fall of the House of Usher and many others things

Jack Williamson The Humanoids, and Darket than You Think the Legion of Space adventures , The Star Child Trilogy which he co wrote with Fredrick Pohl. Life Burst , The Black Sun, Mazeway , Stonhegnege Gate, Terrfroming Earth and many more . He sold his first story in 1928 and wrote almost to the year he died 2006 , He coined the terms Genetic. Engineering and Terraforming.

The Dark World by Henry Kuttner

The Moon Pool , The Metal Monster both By Abraham Merritt . A genius ,light years ahead in story concepts and ideas and very much and under appreciated writer He died in 1943 so he just makes it into the golden age,

Jack Vance.
I suppose Edgar Rice Burroughs is kinda-sorta science fiction, even if the stuff isn't very science-y. Right period anyway and way important as an influence (including on me).

Jack Vance.
I suppose Edgar Rice Burroughs is kinda-sorta science fiction, even if the stuff isn't very science-y. Right period anyway and way important as an influence (including on me).
I think ERB is a bit pre-Golden Age, brilliant as he is.

Jack Vance is a good call.

I think ERB is a bit pre-Golden Age, brilliant as he is.

Jack Vance is a good call.

ERB did influence a few writers that came after but, his stuff was more in the sci adventure mold than serious science fiction . I agree he was brilliant and , incredibly imaginative . There are times when I wish places like Barsoom ,Pellucidar and the great island Caprona existed. Ive never been disappointed by anything ive ever read by him.

Jack Vance gave among other things, his Dying Earth and Demon Price novels. One of The all time greats , hands down.

There is another thread discussing the definition of the 'Golden Age', but for me this is the period in which - whatever the subject - it can be looked back on as the best of times, which is usually shortly succeeded by a (often irretrievable) decline.

As I've mentioned before I think that the 'great age' of science fiction was the mid 1960s to mid 1980s. A period in which we had the best of literature and movies. We had authors ranging from Asimov to Clarke to Adams writing great scifi, on tv were was Star Trek, Blakes 7 and Doctor Who and at the movies we saw the likes of 2001, Star Wars, Alien, The Thing and The Terminator. In real life we were venturing into space, we had landed on the Moon and with space stations, satellites and now a reusable Space Shuttle, journeys to other planets seemed only a short time away.