6.14: Fear The Walking Dead - Mother

Dave

Non Bio
Staff member
It turns out all our guesses regarding the keys and beached submarine were correct. They have also moved into a proper Government nuclear bunker now too, rather than the burnt-out Holding in the underground parking lot/car park. As with last week though, there was a lot of convenient plotting, which taken alone would be okay, but when you put them altogether...

The secret bunker itself, hidden under a bankrupted hotel, has never been found by anyone else. They discovered it by looking in old newspapers. Hard to believe some local didn't remember this, or that only they have access to old newspapers. Or that they had time to look in old newspapers when finding food, ammunition, fighting off armies of walking dead, and the general machinations of a James Bond-esq villain must have taken up so much of their time.

Then there are all the lies that Teddy told. I found it hard to keep track of what wasn't a lie by the end. The whole charade about his mother's body was very strange after you find out that was a lie too.

Then there was the convenient way that different groups of people and dead turned up at just the right time. If they had turned up slightly earlier or later the story would have ran very differently. I cannot believe Teddy has this all carefully planned. He said he just wanted Alicia to find dead people she had know from the stadium, but then he did tell a lot of lies.

The backstory for Teddy in prison was fun and some of the most interesting story for quite a while.

If I was Alicia then I would have shot Teddy when I first got hold of the rifle. I would have done it when Cody suggested it. I would probably have gone with Cody and then left them later. I don't know why Cody felt he couldn't let Alicia go. Dakota is a lost cause though.

The ending was a little strange. Given the episode title I thought they were going to have a different role for Alicia than to simply lock her up again. It seems like the missile is going to be launched very soon. Will Victor run away as everyone expects, or will he inform Morgan and raise the alarm? Will they stop the end of the world and rescue Alicia in time?

Then there was the convenient way that different groups of people and dead turned up at just the right time. If they had turned up slightly earlier or later the story would have ran very differently. I cannot believe Teddy has this all carefully planned. He said he just wanted Alicia to find dead people she had know from the stadium, but then he did tell a lot of lies.

The ending was a little strange. Given the episode title I thought they were going to have a different role for Alicia than to simply lock her up again
I still believe the entire meeting was orchestrated by Teddy, the Nutty Undertaker, to "test" Alicia for whatever crazy role he envisions for her in his post-nuclear strike paradise. Teddy would have no qualms about losing a few of his "recruits" in the process. He left his "key" lieutenant behind and safe from whatever developed in his game plan.
Speaking of acceptable losses, Viv and Doug didn't waste any time exiting the reunion in the worst possible way. They were taken and gobbled down like newbies who had never seen a walking corpse before.

Dakota is a lost cause
Absolutely. She instantly refocuses her murderous, remorseless philosophy to turn anyone from ally to enemy -- depending her best survival assessment of the moment. In that sense, she is even worse than Strand and her mother. Put her at the top of the Kill List.

I thought Teddy was a charismatic nut job, using charm to persuade others to follow him. Now I'm convinced he is a complete lunatic and I've no idea how anyone would buy into his world view.
Why anyone could be in his vicinity for more than few minutes without the urge to put him down like a rabid dog I've no idea. Him, Riley and Dakota need to die.

Alicia should have run when she had the chance, I get that they need to know Teddy's plan but she should have escaped and regrouped with Morgan and found another way to get what they need.