Resident Evil: one milked to death franchise...

Peter A

God, that new RE8 was yet another crazy action horror game. Ethan Winters has to be the most boring mainline character there is, with the grizzled veteran Chris Redfield shoehorned in for the fan appeal, teaming up with this faceless friend, who he apparently semi-betrayed to get at the primary antagonist, Miranda. But at least his current look reminds me of how he was in games such as 5 and 6, even though they were kind of crap, and also too heavy on the shooting aspects. But in 7, they just messed up his model. Uh...

The series is incredibly convuluted. I don't understand why they even keep it going at this point. They end the games in a way where they sort of hint at a sequel, but then the next game seems to skip over things and then do more or less nothing in terms of pushing things ahead. Not to mention all of the pointless references, just... because. Purists love all of the dots lining up, I suppose. Although it's neither here nor there.

So um, this mould can magically make people into puppets, robots, vampires, lycanthropes and God only knows what else. Sorry, but that's just dumb. At least with the really old games, they were sort of more believable. In a lot of cases, you could understand this. But now it seems as if they're just going crazy.

Vendors setting up eBay in the middle of nowhere, flogging you Rambo's arsenal and other things. Like, what the hell? In the classic games, your ass had to explore creepy rooms and look for such things, unassisted.

WHERE IS JILL VALENTINE!?

That garbage RE3 remake doesn't count. That was a disgrace to the classic era...

lol yeah I'm still back in the originals mucking around in their retro awesomeness.. one day I'll probably get to the newer games hopefully but I often see dissatisfied comments like yours from RE5 onwards so I'm in no hurry lol.

Speaking of retro RE awesomeness...

Just when you think you've seen everything lol.. these Russian fellows have been working on a Resident Evil 1 game on the good old SEGA Genesis / Mega drive and it looks pretty awesome! Obviously not 3D but a very cool 2.5D isometric retro conversion of all the rooms, monsters, and characters. I tried out the demo on the Itch page and sadly its waaaaaaay older than the stuff they've been posting over the last few years. Hope they get it done before Capcom's lawyers see it lol.

Bio Evil ® (SEGA Mega Drive Tech Demo) by PSCDGames

b41e94659a6b.gif
WzGIrH.gif

Recent test demo that looks insane!

Even the music conversions are awesome

Big fan preview showing lots of cool footage (Commentary not in English so I have no idea what's being said)

They've since done a cool gameplay video that's been making the rounds in the console forums:

Same footage but without all the VHS effects:

I heard the RE4 remake will be more of a horror game.

Now, I am not a big fan of the original, as it's way too action oriented.

It's nothing like a survival horror game, really, as you go to a vendor. Plus, everything you kill more or less dispenses ammo. So that is silly.

Been a while so I thought I'd check in and see how the Resident Evil Genesis/Megadrive Demake guys are doing. They've been mostly focuses on their other commercial games (Alien Cat 2, Hunter Girls, Black Jewel Reborn etc) over the last few years but have been more active on the Bio Evil project again more recently. They also released a much newer Demo 2 on their Itch page too!

New intro cutscene:

Testing tank controls and collision detection:

FWIW, I think this applies to many franchises, and for two reasons: limitations in game systems (e.g., FPS, isometric RPG, RTS, tower games, and so on) and limitations in fictional storytelling (implied by Bloom in Anxiety of Influence and others, like Eco), such that one eventually has games that chooses one of the game systems, and then "reskins" the system using a variation of the same sets of stories, or something like that.

I do tire of hearing about so many remakes. THQ Nordic and Konami are releasing remakes of Alone in the Dark and Silent Hill 2, and Capcom will never be done churning out more half-cooked RE remakes.

Every mainline RE game since 4 has been stupid, convoluted, too action heavy, and downright bizarre. Like that last one where you play as Ethan "Faceless Family Man" Winters, and you meet the fatty with the wagon called Duke, who can sell you like a gazillion firearms and stuff. Which is incredibly stupid, because it's just terribly unrealistic.

Lame additions like that gimmicky stuff and ammo drops from enemies carrying no guns, like what's in RE4 and RE8 is why the genre has been ruined.

In horror games, you aren't really meant to be able to purchase rocket launchers and so on. The idea is that you're a lone survivor trapped in this hellish environment, having to make do with what little resources one can muster up. But in my opinion, RE4 is the reason many survival horror games ended up being rather dumb.

Don't get me wrong. If you just wanna blast away at the same looking villager or lycan for hours, then okay. That's of course gonna feel like fun. But that's really the problem. Games that are like this are supposed to make you feel on edge. Having too much firepower is going to take away the frightful feeling a player could otherwise experience.

Unfortunately, there's just too much of an emphasis on milking the franchise, which is why Capcom just whores out these stupid games on a near annual basis. I'm a member of some dope RE site called Biohaze where they just damage control for Capcom.

When it comes to Capcom, they aren't angels. Over the years, they've basically ripped off things from different games, copied ideas from popular movies, and this is highly laughable, but they claimed RE8 was toned down because some stupid YouTubers said RE7 was 'too scary' or whatever. Not to mention the plot is just so obscure.

Like, what the heck happened to Umbrella? They always act as if they're supposedly returning, since all the crappy notes you read kind of imply Umbrella is up to no good again. So then why not like, actually finally reveal this, instead of just remaking or remastering all the old titles from around 20 odd years ago?