Does Anyone Have Any Classic Space Operas To Recommend?

Hi, I'm looking for classic SciFi to read, preferably by women writers. Any recommendations?

Northwest of Earth by C L Moore
John Eric Stark of Mars by Leigh Brackett
In Conquest Born by C S Friedman
The Madness Season by C S Friedman
The Coldfire Trilogy by C S Friedman
The Ship Who Sang by Anne McCaffrey
Rimrunners by C J Cherryh
The Faded Sun by C J Cherryh
The Morgan Saga by C J Cherryh
The Corridors of Time by Andre Norton

I find the term "Space Opera" to be quite nebulous. I'm not sure where the line would be drawn between a series of SF novels and "space opera." C J Cherryh can be counted on for deeply interesting and detailed S.F. but if they are Space Opera or not, I'm not sure. One of her series which I feel fits that bill is "The Chanur Saga." In my opinion it is classic SF. It's 30 years old, but that shouldn't matter for a classic.

Northwest of Earth by C L Moore
John Eric Stark of Mars by Leigh Brackett
In Conquest Born by C S Friedman
The Madness Season by C S Friedman
The Coldfire Trilogy by C S Friedman
The Ship Who Sang by Anne McCaffrey
Rimrunners by C J Cherryh
The Faded Sun by C J Cherryh
The Morgan Saga by C J Cherryh
The Corridors of Time by Andre Norton

Thank you so much for these! I'll have to read them.

Classic space operas by women is likely to be a small collection.
Interesting question though. What prompted it?

I love space opera, and I write it, and I was looking for books by women in my genre, because I haven't been able to find that many.

I love space opera, and I write it, and I was looking for books by women in my genre, because I haven't been able to find that many.
If you can live with more modern stuff lots of us women, like myself, write it. A great group on Facebook is called SpaceOpera (Scott McGlasson runs it) and they do a monthly market thread with members’ books in it.

I mentioned Amy Du Boff but there are also writers like Becky Chambers abd Emma Newman worth looking at too.

Don’t feel you’re alone - you aren’t. There are tons of us and our voices are no longer silenced by gatekeepers who believe it’s a bloke’s genre

Might as well start from the top and work your way down:
IMG_0473.JPG

Abraham Merritt A writer who was in many ways, ahead of his time
The Moon Pool an American expeditionary force exploring little traveled Island find an underground a super advanced human civilization in thrall to the power entity known as The Shinning One The Shinning one is entry half biological and Hall Machine . A Cyborg . What interesting is this novel was written in 1919 .
The Metal Monster This book is sequel of sorts to the Moon Pool In this novel that same expedition while exploring an little explored corner of Asia encounter a race of Machines / Androids. Thes machines have a sort of wifi communication and weapons of liquid metal which shift shape and see for any purpose like nano technology . The main thins is the novel was written in 1928 !

The Heads Cerberus by Francis Stevens This is an early dystopian sconce fiction novel . She is large forgotten but a very good writer.

Paris in the 20th Century by Jules Verne his famous lost novel , The book written in 1863 is set in in 1963 and some the production he made are starling He predicted Fax machines . elctroci Music and Subways. His publisher thought the book too preposterous and so he never published it and it sat in a safe until rediscovered in 1989 by one of his descendants.

Back to the topic of Space opera

The Star My Destination
by Alfred Bester
The Ensign Flandry Series by Poul Anderson
The Demon Prince Space Saga by Jack Vance
The John Grimes Space Saga by A Bertram Chandler
The Humanoids by Jack Williamson
The Berserker Saga by Fred Saberhagen
The Nimrod Hunt By Charles Sheffield

The Two Volume anthology
Galatic Empires Volume 1 and 2 edit by Brain Aldiss contain some really terrific class space opera stories

Single volume Anthology
Before the Golden Age edited by Isaac Asimov

Preferably by women, not absolutely necessary.
I think when you read down - @BAYLOR this relates to your post too - and see why that request was made, and knowing the history of gatekeeping in the genre - it would be nice to give the encouragement to a new writer that their voice is valid. Suggesting they work down from a male writer, whose book is about a 20th century man, feels rather (sadly) putting-down if their request. There are a zillion threads to rec wider works.

Here endeth my posts here - not because I give a stuff about the counter posts - but because I don’t want the OP to feel they’re in a bun fight - and I’ll just reiterate my welcome to a new writer and hope they find the role models that SF has so desperately hidden from them.

Last edited:
I think when you read down - @BAYLOR this relates to your post too - and see why that request was made, and knowing the history of gatekeeping in the genre - it would be nice to give the encouragement to a new writer that their voice is valid. Suggesting they work down from a male writer, whose book is about a 20th century man, feels rather (sadly) putting-down if their request. There are a zillion threads to rec wider works.

Here endeth my posts here - not because I give a stuff about the posts - but because I don’t want the OP to feel they’re in a bun fight - and I’ll just reiterate my welcome to a new writer and hope they find the role models that SF has so desperately hidden from them.

Did you see my fry list in comment number 7 ?:confused: