Star Trek references in SF literature.

psikeyhackr

Physics is Phutile, Fiziks is Fundamental
I do not know how often I have encountered some reference to Star Trek, either subtle or obvious, since the 60s. Here is one from Gibraltar Earth by Michael McCollum:

"one of the scientists with a taste for classic literature that had first suggested the name “Vulcan.” What their visit to Klys’kra’t had to do with the god of volcanoes, Lisa had no idea."

McCollum implies that a few centuries in the future only literary aficionados will know the origin of Vulcans.

So I thought it might be interesting to have a thread listing Trek references in SF literature.

Redshirts by Scalzi would be an obvious one.

Last edited:
The Bobiverse Trilogy by Dennis Taylor has lots of Star Trek references. Travel to the Vulcan home star and name planets Vulcan and Romulus.

In Heinlein's The number of the beast they discuss at length the possibility of moving into the Star Trek universe, eventually they decide no way

I'm currently reading Gamechanger by L.X. Becket. There's a very slight reference in one VR chapter
Quote:-
Her fandom mash-up included one of the first media aliens—Vulcans, they were called—so her toon wore pointed ears and the tapestry was of an offworld desert scene.

Last edited:
In Heinlein's The number of the beast they discuss at length the possibility of moving into the Star Trek universe, eventually they decide no way
I haven't read that now I will have to check it out.

Ready Player One has intermittent Trek references.

"O King, live long and prosper," he said solemnly, holding up his right hand with the fingers spread in a V. I always wanted to say that, he thought, then there was a sharp pain in his ankle as Doreen kicked him; she hadn't believed he would actually go through with it.

In the 2nd book of the Nantucket trilogy, Against the Tide of Years by S. M. Stirling, the character Ian Arnstein gives a Vulcan salute to the king of Babylon. Doreen is his wife. That is the only Trek meme in all three books.

The Nantucket trilogy is a time travel story similar to 1632. It may have inspired 1632 since it came first.

Last edited:

Back