Past and Passed

paranoid marvin

Run VT Erroll!
Supporter
These are probably the only two words that I have some confusion with when writing. There are times when the right option seems obvious, but other times when (to me) not so obvious.

So for example, A car drove past/passed. or I can see a car driving past/passed. or In the future, cars will drive past/passed my house.

So here we have the past/present and future tenses. The right word to use here seems to be 'past'.

Although if my examples were He passed/past the point of no return. or He will have soon passed/past the point of no return.

The right choice would seem to be 'passed'.

Why is this, and does anyone else have similar issues with these two words?

Last edited:
I'm clear which is which, but I have sometimes used the wrong one as a typo, and also with other homonyms. Sometimes, horrifically, seeing the wrong one used often enough will infect me; I'll see the correct usage and think "ha, that's wrong", then realise it isn't. Loose for lose is a recent example of that.

Here's another random thought: In the old days there was no "correct" spelling of words. People just spelled things however they damn well pleased. This led to lots of inconsistency you see in pre-modern printed and handwritten documents.
Here's an interesting article:
So don't feel bad about it.

You're confusing two different things, pm -- "passed" being the past participle of the verb "to pass" and "past" which is a preposition roughly meaning "beyond" (as well as being an adjective and a noun at times -- no one ever said English was a simple language!!)

These are probably the only two words that I have some confusion with when writing. There are times when the right option seems obvious, but other times when (to me) not so obvious.

So for example, A car drove past/passed. or I can see a car driving past/passed. or In the future, cars will drive past/passed my house.

So here we have the past/present and future tenses. The right word to use here seems to be 'past'.
You're right. This is "past" because it's the preposition -- rephrase it and it's more obvious (if rather awkward...) eg "A car drove beyond the place where I was"

Although if my examples were He passed/past the point of no return. or He will have soon passed/past the point of no return.

The right choice would seem to be 'passed'.
Again you're right. This is "passed" because it's the past tense of the verb, and again if you rephrase it, this is more obvious eg "He went beyond the point of no return"

That help?

You're confusing two different things, pm -- "passed" being the past participle of the verb "to pass" and "past" which is a preposition roughly meaning "beyond" (as well as being an adjective and a noun at times -- no one ever said English was a simple language!!)

You're right. This is "past" because it's the preposition -- rephrase it and it's more obvious (if rather awkward...) eg "A car drove beyond the place where I was"

Again you're right. This is "passed" because it's the past tense of the verb, and again if you rephrase it, this is more obvious eg "He went beyond the point of no return"

That help?

Thanks, as you and Valtharius both explained I was mixing my verbs with my prepositions.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N Book Discussion 25
chongjasmine Literary Fiction 4
AnyaKimlin Grammar & Spelling 12
Coragem Writing Discussion 8
Phil Brown Workshop 14