Who What Where

JS Wiig

“Hello, muse?” “Please hold…” *elevator music*
Supporter
Wanted to give this a try, inspired by Mary Robinette Kowal:

The idea is to get a clear Who What Where in three lines.

Feel free to reuse a previous prompt, change an element of a previous prompt, or provide a wholly new prompt.

If you would accept critiques of your entry, indicate “Critiques welcome!” or similar in your post.

who: rouge samurai
what: making a deal with a demon
where: seemingly ordinary village

###

“So, what do you think of my terms?” the demon asked.

They walked in silence; smoke from the village’s thatch hut chimneys hung in the air, but something about the scent seemed off. Akai rubbed his scruffy chin, knowing this deal may be the only thing to save him the fury of his former samurai clan.

###

Critiques welcome!

New prompt:

who: environmental activist
what: going to save penguins
where: rough seas

Great idea for an exercise. I like Mary's idea of only changing one aspect, could be a fun rule to enforce.

I feel like yours might work better if your 2nd and third sentences were swapped. Introduces us to Akai earlier, and then ends with that nice mystery.

where: rough seas

With each swell, the window in Mary's cramped cabin was dunked below the South Atlantic Ocean. It was thrilling, but if the storm didn't calm soon, their mission would have to be aborted. A raft of chinstrap penguins swam by her window, don't worry little guys, I've got a plan.

(critiques welcome)

where: a zoo

Gretchen raced down the pathways between lion cage, rhino pen and giraffe enclosure, her red wagon packed with ice in tow. The summer sun blazed and she cursed the mega corps and their unconscionable polluting ways. As soon as the news broke of the zoo’s failed air conditioning she’d leapt into action; the penguins wouldn’t long survive this unnatural heat.

*critiques welcome*

what: collecting admission tickets

Jason cranked up his walkman to drown out the zoo protestors. Nodding to the beat, he collected customers admission tickets and waved them through the zoo gates. Three days ago he was one of the activists, holding a sign about animal rights; but that didn’t pay six bucks an hour.

*critiques welcome on all my posts in this thread.

who: University graduate
what: collecting admission tickets

Clara crumpled her stack of zoo admission tickets while an old hippy screamed at her about penguins, as if blaming her would somehow save them from overheating. A master's in Psychology and she couldn't even get this man to hand over the damn ticket and leave her alone. Still, it beats smelling like fryer oil all the time, right?

(Critiques always welcome)

Who: a little girl.
What: begging for a souvenir toy.
where: a zoo.

Even cluttered by noise from animals and people alike, nothing could take from the charm of this place. Especially when it came to the wonderful souvenirs. Nothing special from appearance alone but it was the idea that mattered the most. An idea noticed by a child as she and her elder sister entered the store. Her favorite animal had been known as a hippopotamus for years and there was such an adorable figurine of one. As expected, the incessant whining of most children began with her tugging repeatedly on her sibling's shirt and saying the simple words, "Can we get it? Please! Please, please, please! I'd like it so much if you got it for me!" This would certainly continue, but they had come into the building for a reason after all so with a chuckle in response to the child's innocence, she had decided to make the purchase.

Any criticism is welcome.

Who: A curiously gentle yet massive Oni and a young adult woman.
What: Learning about things from her.
Where: A jungle.

@WatermelonPink the idea is to get it done in three lines. Yours is considerably longer than that.

Who: A curiously gentle yet massive Oni and a young adult woman.
What: Learning about things from her.

Gabbo hid his large blue bulk behind the vine swaddled fig tree, careful not to make a sound. He studied the human woman, observing what mushrooms she picked, which herbs she collected, what roots she pulled. She didn't appear dangerous but he had to be careful, his parents wern't around to help him anymore.

Who: A lion
What: Learning about things

Splinters exploded from the tree above her head moments before a blast of thunder pounded her ears. The young lioness sprinted into the jungle without so much as looking back towards that strange two-legged animal. She would never let one get that close again.

Who: A lion
What: Learning about things
Where: A metropolitan coffee shop

Lazlo roared in pain then rose to his full height, shaking his mane to dislodge glass shards from the broken shop window. Giant paws clicked hungry claws on the slate tiled floor as he prowled menacingly towards the terrified barrista. If nothing else, today had taught him coffee shops were far easier than the savannah for catching a bite to eat.

Who: A. Lion
What: A comeuppance
Where: A metropolitan coffee shop.

Antonio taps a claw on the countertop, tossing his mane and growling from somewhere deep beneath his waistcoat. "Market opens now, every dollar I don't make because I'm late, you owe me. Make it right this time." The splash-stained bonobo at the coffee machine trembles, rattling cups. Down-queue, a gazelle lowers her newspaper. "Don't sweat it, Iggy; I'll have the usual. Tony, don't worry about being late, you're fired."

(Critiques welcome)

Who: A lover thought lost
What: A comeuppance
Where: A metropolitan coffee shop

Back