Good Sci Fi authors

fixit7

I am looking for recommendations for good sci-fi authors. Preferably authors and books within the last 20 years.

I understand that opinions are subjective.

Thanks.

Hi fixit7. Welcome to the Chrons.

Iain M. Banks will always be my number one suggestion. My favourite is The Player of Games, his best is Surface Detail. He writes with both darkness and humour. Alas, he has passed on.

I also enjoyed Alistair Reynolds, especially Revelations Space and it's sequels, although that probably falls just outside of your window, as it was first published in 2000.

The last few years i have been especially appreciative of Neal Asher's Polity books with my favourite being his Transformation trilogy. The best place to start is probably his agent Cormac series. It's top notch Space Opera, so if your're looking for something a little harder, he might not be to your liking.

Adrian Tchaikovsky's Dogs of War is a brilliant read and a recent entry into my favourite books i have read.

If you fancy a little Military SF, Dan Abnett's Gaunt's Ghost books are phenomenal.

I'd also recommend T.C.McCarthy's Germline Trilogy.

The Killing Star by Charles Pellegrino. and George Zebrowski
The Dragon Never Sleeps by Glen Cook
A Fire Upon the Deep By Vernor Vinge
Eisenhorn and Ravenor Bothe by Dan Abnett
Gaunts Ghosts Dan Abnett
Straken by Toby Frost
Caiphis Cain by Sandy Mitchell
Darwinia by Robert Charles Wilson

I became a science fiction fan when, as a young teen, I read my first Robert A. Heinlein book -- specifically, DOUBLE STAR. With experience (in reading sf) it has become harder to say, as I once did, that he was my favorite author.
Now, to me, there are many sf authors whose work I love and admire, and I find it impossible to list them as "best," or "next best," or whatever. So I'll just throw out the names of some great stories as they come to my mind now (with the understanding that I will likely, two hours from now, realize that I failed to mention this or that great one):
WAY STATION by Clifford D. Simak
HEAVY TIME by C.J. Cherryh
CREATURES OF LIGHT AND DARKNESS by Roger Zelazny
CITY AT THE END OF TIME by Edmond Hamilton
THE FOREVER WAR by Joe Haldeman
I, ROBOT by Isaac Asimov
DUNE by Frank Herbert
THE SHINING by Stephen King

Oh, and so, so many more. But that will give you a start.

Last edited:
It's more than 20 years old, but Douglas Adams' Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy remains unsurpassed for a lighthearted journey into scifi.

It all depends upon what your tastes are, doesn't it?

Keeping it to within the last 20 years (and just selected works for each author):

John Scalzi - Old Man's War
Becky Chambers - The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet
Kameron Hurley - God's War
Mary Robinette Kowal - The Calculating Stars
Gareth L Powell - Embers of War
Ian McDonald - Luna

I'd also second two authors previously mentioned.
Iain Banks (I'd read anything he ever wrote, a sorely-missed giant of sf); and
Adrian Tchaikovsky (a brilliant mind).

We also have some pretty good authors who are members of this site. I've got a copy of Brian G Turner's space opera Destroyer, which I need to read, and has some good reviews. For something which makes you think, in terrestrial sf, perhaps Stephen Palmer. Or, for post-apocalyptic mayhem, and military space opera, you could try Jo Zebedee.

Like I say, it all depends upon your own personal taste, but there really are so many to choose from. These are just a selection of authors who I've enjoyed, plus one (Brian) who's on my TBR list.

Murderbot Diaries by Martha Wells

Bobiverse trilogy by Dennis Taylor

entertaining tho not as good:

Destroyermen series by Taylor Anderson

Well, you've had a little time to review some of the recommendations, Fixit -- do you have any reactions to report?

Well, you've had a little time to review some of the recommendations, Fixit -- do you have any reactions to report?
Op has not been back since he posted this, his one and only post. We can hope to be regaled with a detailed and critical appraisal of the recommendations, and that the delay may simply be due to the size of the reading list and the time required to produce an authoritative synthesis.

Back