Hugo Nominees for 2021

Do Nebula, Locus, BSF have similar issues as the Hugos with nominations? From this thread there seems to be a lower respect for the Hugos.

Absolutely a matter of opinion.
(from Wikipedia)
"The British Science Fiction Association Limited is an organisation founded in 1958 by a group of British academics, science fiction fans, authors, publishers and booksellers - - -
The BSFA Awards are presented annually by the British Science Fiction Association, based on a vote of BSFA members and members of the British national SF convention (Eastercon). The BSFA is based on a vote of BSFA members, and members of the British national SF convention, Eastercon."
I would have to cede any opinion on how well that award is received to British fans here. Personally, I have liked all of their choices for best novel.

The Nebula is voted by the Science Fiction Writers Asso., dominated by USAers, but not exclusively American.
The Locus is a readers poll of that magazine, which was such a consistent winner of the Hugo award that they redefined catagories to add "Semi- prozine" to give others a chance at the fanzine catagory. You want great commentary ? Read it. I subsribed for years but gave up my subscription because they were piling up unread.

Jo Walton in her book on the Hugos compared the Hugo with the Nebula and also how well the two had done in the novel catagory the first 34 years that they overlapped. The Hugos did slightly better than the Nebulas in terms of picking books of lasting impact and not just passing popularity (not exactly the way she described it.) In the 20 years since the period that Walton discussed, the Hugos have come under increasing fire for reasons discussed above. Still, for me, since they and the Locus all come down to votes, the question would seem to be how they are administered and which constituency best matches one's personal taste.

I prefer both the Nebula and the Locus over the Hugo for the past decade. because I pretty consistently prefer their choices. I also like the fact that generally the Locus publishes a longer list of nominees to look at. Still, definately, Chacun a son gout.
The awards expose titles to both the fan world and the general public, as I stated above. Sadly this often only speaks to the Hugo. We have the luxury of looking at more than the sole award for suggestions, which is also the largest reason that I post and read comments here and on another SFF board.

Last edited: