2D, one note, characters

I have a confession: my favourite ever book and character is probably very 2D and Mary Sueish.

Her only real flaw is that she makes puritans angry but even within that there are some she makes friends with (but she sort of corrupts them a bit). But I don't care. She's warm, colourful and a teen girl using her brain and smarts to outsmart the men in a very masculine environment.

I think we can get too hung up on all that good advice and overlook a really, really basic principal - write an engaging story. Whether the engagement comes from beautifully depicted characters, glorious writing or appealing events, just write something that appeals and entertains.

I think we can get too hung up on all that good advice and overlook a really, really basic principal - write an engaging story. Whether the engagement comes from beautifully depicted characters, glorious writing or appealing events, just write something that appeals and entertains.
Biskit, you forgot to tell us *how* to write something that appeals and entertains! <g>