The Nevers (HBO)

REBerg

Registered Alien
Supporter

Excellent! I haven't enjoyed the pilot of a new series as much as this in a long time.

Rodders

|-O-| (-O-) |-O-|
Supporter
Never heard of this, REBerg. What's it about?

REBerg

Registered Alien
Supporter
Never heard of this, REBerg. What's it about?
I thought that the trailer conveyed a good general feel for the show without giving too much away. I hope the same applies to my comments below, but I made it a spoiler -- just in case. :)
My first impression is that this show is a feminist version of X-Men.
Central characters, mostly women, are given extraordinary abilities, not quite on a superpower par with X-Men, but anachronistic in turn-of-the-19th-century London. They are labeled "touched" and perceived as a threat by the establishment.
It usually takes several episodes for me to be sold on a series, but this one grabbed me immediately. Of course, that's just me. I've been known to be seriously out-of-touch with popular opinion.

Mouse

ejtett.weebly.com
Looks good. Also looks like I won't be able to watch it in the UK as it's on Sky.

Dave

Non Bio
Staff member
"Directed and created by Joss Whedon" should give it the instant seal of approval, but he apparently exited the series during postproduction, and pandemic delays then hampered its new showrunner. So, while the steampunk, lady x-men, pilot is excellent, the series itself may struggle to be quite as good. Excellent cast though. As this article says, it's very ambitious, but maybe too ambitious? - Review

Mouse

ejtett.weebly.com
"Directed and created by Joss Whedon" should give it the instant seal of approval, ...
Not anymore, Joss Whedon is apparently a bit of a douchebag and was a complete arse to some of the ladies on the Buffy set.

REBerg

Registered Alien
Supporter
No loss of quality in the second episode, with Whedon still at the helm. I hope it continues to entertain in the episodes produced after he ceded directorship.

Dave

Non Bio
Staff member
Whedon didn't leave until after the third episode, apparently. Then Covid-19 restrictions hit them. I've seen the pilot but not watched any other episodes. It does look interesting though. Other reviews have compared it to a female League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. It seemed much more than that, suffragette superheroes with James Bond gadgets?

JohnM

It's good. The parallels with the X-Men are pretty obvious for comic book fans. I am no longer concerned about who creates/writes anything on TV as long as the quality is there and continues.