SciFi book series. Advanced civilizations have a galactic government system (like a UN), humans are only Level 3 advanced, out of Level 5 or 6

TroubleMan

I would have read this in the late 90's early 2000's. I only caught a book in the middle of the series and I remember I liked it, and wanted to read more....but you know life happens. Two marriages and three kids later priorities change, and you forget about things. Over the past month I've been thinking I'd like to check out this old series to see if I'd still like it, but I can't remember enough about it to find it.

Overall setting: Throughout the galaxy (or maybe galaxies) most advanced life forms can contact each other and travel from star system to star system rather easily. The species are ranked by how advanced they are - it's either 1-5 or 1-6. The top levels, I think 4/5 or 5/6 have their own little governing body, and they sort of oversee the rest of the species. They don't interfere really, unless it's a crisis. It's similar to a UN. Oversee is maybe too strong of a word. They let everybody do whatever, unless it would cause wars or major economic problems, I believe.

Humans are level 3. However, some humans go for training to become more advanced....to learn "sasera" or maybe it was "sassera" techniques, and one human is considered Level 4. I think the guy was named Jace or Jase. He was one of the main protagonists of the book. This guy was trusted by the higher level species, and he worked for them like a detective.

There was some crisis on a human world or outpost. He and some others were sent to investigate it, and it turns into a larger problem. What I remember specifically is that he would meditate or concentrate to find the "sasera truth." Doing this, he could see and sense things most humans couldn't. I know I'm misspelling sasera or sassera, because a google search comes up with nothing. It's close to that, however.

I remember that some humans were thankful for the extra technology, but many were resentful that humans were though of as a lesser species.

Thank you in advance for any help.

One more thing to add. Humans were being considered for Level 4, and I think the what Jase was investigating turned out to be part of a plot to keep them from getting Level 4.

Sounds like the sequel to All the Colors of Darkness, by Lloyd Biggle Jr. ATCOD involves Earth developing teleportation (set in the far-flung future year of 1986), and The Watchers who aren't sure Earth is ready for such technology. The teleporters work OK, but there were unexplained problems during development. Once the network was up and running, a few passengers disappeared. Jan Darzek, detective, was hired to find out what was going on. He did. It involved his being in the Watcher's base on our moon. His memory was erased by the watchers' supervisors (who decided that the watchers were over-enthusiastic and should not have intervened) and he was returned to Earth.

The sequel involved Jan Darzek being contacted by The Watchers to solve another case. I don't recall if he's given back all of his memories of his first contact in book 1 or not. Nor do I remember the details of the plot...

I checked out that series just now, and that's not it. That's a very close guess. I can see a lot of similarities. I think the main difference is that the series I'm looking for is more star-wars-y or more in the future. The protagonist is named Jan, which is close. That makes me wonder if maybe I misremembered the protagonist's name.

Prob not your book, but some resemblance to elements of The Man With Absolute Motion by Silas Water.

Thank you both for the suggestions, but those aren't it. However, the Canopus in Argos, has some very similar themes, it appears.

Back