Poll. Repeat reading and your writing style.

Which writing and reading combination describes you best?

• I am a planner and I often reread books

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • I am a pantser and I often reread books

• I am a planner and I seldom reread books

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • I am a pantser and I seldom reread books

• Total voters

Astro Pen

Write now.
Supporter
There seems to me to be a divide between readers. Those who read the same book multiple times and those (like myself) who nearly never do, preferring to explore the shelves and discover something or someone new.
Then I wondered if there is a pantser, plotter divide on this?

Pantser who seldom rereads but that's not 100% true. I don't often reread books, but there are some that I have reread depending on my mood - so less than often but more than seldom. Last year I reread a bunch but prior to that it was only ever on commutes when I wouldn't be bothered about not being able to finish a chapter before stopping :)

I'm mostly a planner (or I try to be) and seldom reread. That makes me so far unique!

Some books I must have read a thousand times. When my mind is busy or foggy I return to old favourites. Unless I really hated it, I always read a book at least twice - once just to be carried away with the magic and the second to see how they did it.

I ticked pantser but that's not always true. I plan some stories and when it comes to my scripts every scene is micro managed because you have to get so much more into a much smaller space. Poetry gets some planning after I have jotted down my ideas and so do short stories. Novels are different as I have more space to tell the story but even then sometimes a story needs a plan.

I pantsed one book and it nearly killed me. Or at least felt that way. So I'm definitely a planner. And, of course, I reread. Doesn't everyone, except, if we can believe him, HB.:unsure:

Edit: I just read the poll, then reread it. Wow. I am genuinely blessed to be in such company. :whistle:

When I've written, it's come from a scene or a bit of dialog or some other scrap that interested me enough to start trying to develop. I have to write to discover what there is in it of interest and what it stems from and (if it's not the destination point) what it leads to. This is pretty much true of essays, reviews, whatever, not just the fiction I've attempted.

And, no, I won't frame that as an all positive thing.

I used to reread more than I have the last few years. Although saying that, I am currently rereading some stories by J. S. Le Fanu while also reading a couple I hadn't got to before, so ...

Part planner, part pantser. There are some books I've enjoyed so much as a reader that I'll read them again. There are others I hold as examples as great genre writing and therefore use them as guides for my own writing, especially when unsure on a specific issue and want to reference how it has already been done. :)

Some books I must have read a thousand times. When my mind is busy or foggy I return to old favourites. Unless I really hated it, I always read a book at least twice - once just to be carried away with the magic and the second to see how they did it.

I think I used to re-read more than I do now, but then writing takes up more of my time than it used to. About two years ago, when we were going through the nausea of getting the Biskitetta's diagnosis and treatment plan, I had a major comfort re-read of some old favourites, including books that I probably haven't read in a decade or two, which was particularly interesting to see how those older books measured up to my current reading tastes.

I used to read once most of the time though some favorites would get a second read.
Now I'm often rereading because I find I need to either go back to find out why I didn't like some part or the whole and or when finding errors in the work I go back to make sure I caught them all.

I'm a sort of planner for the world building and a rough idea of the plot themes I write about; yet a pantser when it comes to writing the actual story: if that makes any sense.

What I really wanted to say was I'm usually a pantser except that one time someone stole them and I had to run around half naked: that wasn't planned.

I'm a planner and seldom re-read, but do tend to have a few reference books to hand when writing, so I might re-read several bits and pieces of books whilst writing. Only the special books get read more than once or twice.

I'm a planner and seldom reread. Yeah, I planned to reread so I can track the story and find my writing style. Unfortunately, when I bought a new book to read, I sometimes change my mind to read the new book and forget to do some rereading. Kekw

Back