Late 1970s fantasy cover art

jamesdoyle

Hi guys. Just discovered this forum yesterday, and I hope that someone might be able to help me, although it's a bit a stretch, this one!

So, the book I remember is from the latter half of the 1970s, and probably 1977 on. I was between 10 and 15, so money was tight enough that I couldn't afford to buy books often, so every trip to the bookshop would mean choosing between a number of desirable books. Sometimes, a book wouldn't make the cut several times in a row, before eventually getting chosen. The one I want to find is one that never got picked!

This means of course that I've got no story clues, but what I do remember is the cover. The main feature of the cover was a guitar or similar stringed instrument, held upright in front of a landscape. Within the guitar sound hole was visible another landscape, different to the one behind the guitar. As I recall, the landscape within the sound hole was distinctively fantasy, or at least medieval - countryside with either a walled town or a castle with banners flying.
The second thing I remember about the cover is a goblin-like creature, either peering over the guitar (or holding it?), or perhaps looking out of the sound hole. I'm inclined to think it's the former rather than the latter, as I think the latter might be my faulty memory merging this with the cover of Martians Go Home.

My impression is of a light, humorous fantasy novel, possibly involving someone being taken from our world to another. I'm inclined to think 1977-79 because in my head this book was linked to the song Wonderous Stories by Yes, which is from 1977; but it could have been earlier because the bookshop I remember this from did have a habit of keeping books on the shelves for a long time, so it could have been hanging around from before then.

I'm currently wading through all the cover art on ISFDB, a bit at a time. It's a long shot, but thanks for taking a look at my request.

That's an interesting site, thanks! I've had a look through using keywords like 'guitar', but haven't found anything, but I might spend some time browsing that anway - who doesn't love a terrible SF/F cover?!
The one I remember probably wouldn't qualify as terrible, tbh - I think it was probably something like a Del Rey/Ballanatine cover - a bit lurid perhaps, but not dreadfully so. All in the eye of the behold of course.
On ISFDB, I've been through their entries for 1975, 76 and 77, and not found it yet.Still looking though...

I know my copies didn’t match your description but I thought there may have been a different edition.

Back