Sequel expectations

Jo Zebedee

Aliens vs Belfast.
Supporter
Okay let’s say you had written a book many years ago that a suprising number of people like and you now are about to complete the half-written sequel that you’ve been asked about lots of times (so, pressure)

now, let’s say you had a main character and a secondary character and you decide for the sequel that the secondary character is actually the main character in the whole thing and holds the key to the completion of the duology - and that the characters are in two different demogaphs (one is a teen, and one an Adult).

as a reader, would you be happy with so many changes?

Last edited:
Well I would say it depends on the focus of your series. I assume it like this since we are talking about a second part, so it is not ruled out that there is a third, fourth, etc.
Let's see how I can explain it. For example, suppose you have a series in which the MC is Indiana Jones, in that case you are fried, the audience throws objects on stage, expresses their discontent, the author escapes.
On the contrary, it is different if we have a river type novel where a character does one thing; another runs parallel to the story apart from him and they eventually cross paths. I mean, I know there are river novels where anyway the common thread is carried by a single MC. A classic example is Dune. But, continuing along the same lines, the same Star Wars and the way it is raised allows any character to have their own story; that is, the narrative weight does not rest on a single character.

So, as you're telling me, the first thing that comes to mind is a case of doppelgänger. Not in the sense of the perfect opposite; but yes in the fact that you are going to make a castling.
Second problem. Potential, yes, only you are clear about that. But, if your novel is YA, and you make that change you say, the boys go to get their baseball bats. That's why the doppelgänger thing. It would be a harmless substitution, except that adolescent / adult implies a generation gap and statistically people always bet the silver on the youngest.
Except, except that the adult has not another alternative. Only something like that could stop people from throwing eggs and tomatoes at you. Let's say that there is such a catastrophe that not even the cat is saved, and this poor adult, who is old and tired, seeing that only he can fix things immediately produces identification in the reader. Damn, very bad person, that screenwriter. Otherwise I find it difficult for them to buy your story, unless you had Liam Neeson.
By the way, could you give a plot synopsis? I believe that with more antecedents we can look for the turn.

In terms of a synopsis this is an alien invasion novel with a teen protagonist, supported by an adult policeman. The teen gets into trouble and ends up in an alien prison, and the cop has to uncover what he discovers about the aliens to reach the needed resolution (A lot of the forum will know the book, so some of the replies might indicate a wider knowledge of the plot - it has been out some time).
Book one was mostly the teen‘s story - and his family - but the cop was very integral to the story, had a lot of the Point of view, and is popular in reviews.
the thing about Inish is whilst it has teen protagonists I have never marketed it as young adult (the Language in it is problematic, at the very least) and most readership are in the 18—30 demograph, as far as I can tell.

A lot might depend on how much the teen shows up in the story.
I seem to recall other series. where I had expectations of a continuation of a character's story only to find that the sequel was another characters story.
I worked for me most of the time--i think because there was almost the promise that there would be more stories and still a chance to revisit the other character.

It sounds like there is a possibility that the MC from book one is incarcerated for the duration--possibly. That means that the focus is on the character that has more agency or freedom to move around. It definitely makes sense.

Don't over-think it and remember that the POV is the one who can best tell the story.

A lot might depend on how much the teen shows up in the story.
I seem to recall other series. where I had expectations of a continuation of a character's story only to find that the sequel was another characters story.
I worked for me most of the time--i think because there was almost the promise that there would be more stories and still a chance to revisit the other character.

It sounds like there is a possibility that the MC from book one is incarcerated for the duration--possibly. That means that the focus is on the character that has more agency or freedom to move around. It definitely makes sense.

Don't over-think it and remember that the POV is the one who can best tell the story.
All the POV characters still standing get their own arc (as long as they are still around - I don’t know the answer to that yet, to be clear) - but I’ve sidelined the cop (as in complete limbo) while I juggled the other arcs (which are almost complete) and then I started to wonder why I had and here we are. In essence I started to wonder whose story I was telling (before I start telling it)

To avoid spoilers for everyone - I don’t know who if any of the characters will make it into book 2 or how far into it. I only know who was still standing at the end of book one. It’s also why I haven’t put the full title into this thread so it won’t show up in a google search

Your point is a good one. Which pov best carries this :)

Last edited:
Wow, it is a marvel plot that gives you thousands of things, the alien that infiltrates and produces a love triangle, that Resident Alien thing that even if it is comedy anyway evidences that even if they look like us there will always be suspicious details, the alien villains like The Hidden, etc. Well, according to the synopsis there are the conditions for a rescue, in which the role that the cop assumes for this second part would work. Assuming so. Because what about motivation? Is that boy that important to the cop? Because in the traditional way it would look more logical if it were a girl ... By the way, what are those extraterrestrial prisons like? Do the bad guys too bad have that concept of locking up people or do they do it V-style? Let's see, let's see, on Independence Day they weren't neither by the side, you must die, etc. In the Fifth Wave it was a substitution of the people as part of a government macro lie. Jupiter ascends was like the alien Cinderella.

By the way, sorry for throwing away so many ideas, but I tend to be crazier than my own children and I always end up going around the bush. But in summary, as it looks, I don't think the transfer of importance between the characters is so conflicting. Still, in terms of plot, I think you should still give yourself a few minutes to think about what happens after the end of this second part. In fact, I'm starting to suspect why that boy is more important in the first story, and I'm also beginning to understand why it has to be the cop who should rescue him. It is precisely because of what he is about to find out, right? In fact, unless there is a cliffhanger at the end (to force a third part), I could bet that this second part is the closing of the story. I saved the king, humanity, etc.

Your point is a good one. Which pov best carries this

Sorry for hanging on to this idea but if I don't say it, with my little head, I'm going to forget it. I suppose the most creative POV would be a Morgan Freeman-type alien who tells the story and is therefore a complete omniscient. It is even possible that he had a key intervention in the precise 90th minute of the game.

Last edited:
I do not think there will be any issue with switching main characters. I recently (in the last year) finished a sequel that switched from a middle-aged main character in the first to his 20ish (?) daughter leaving home to make a name for herself. So, I don't think the main character switch will be an issue, especially as the previous main character remains in the (perhaps deep) background.

As for the target audience, as long as the style doesn't change drastically, I think anyone who enjoyed the first volume will readily accept the second volume as the same demographic.

For me, the main concern is that the sequel does feature at least some of the main characters from the previous book. When sequels ignore these and instead introduce a whole new set of characters to focus on instead, it doesn't feel like a sequel at all. That's one reason why I didn't read past the first book in Yoon Ha Lee's space trilogy.

I know the book well, and I think that having the copper as main POV character in the sequel will work fine as long as you also respect the character who took the lead previously. They don’t need a central role but I think they need to be integral in some way to the sequel. Even a cameo would do, as long as they do something significant in it. Wander in and help the main protagonist then wander off again? Get in the MC’s way? Act as an off-screen worry for the MC?

It doesn't sound like a problem. I can't think of an example (probably because I haven't had breakfast yet), but I'm sure there are books I've read where I've wanted a sequel to find out what happened to someone other than the main character.

I think why I’m worried is I’ve just read Curse of Challion which I loved and can’t get into book 2 with a different protagonist.

Book 1’s protagonist in this case will no doubt be creating mayhem somewhere and is unlikely to allow himself to be sidelined, but that is a good point.

@Boneman - are you mad! I’ve been trying to write one of it for five years....

I would say it less of a problem than it could have been. Changing the protagonist isn't such an issue but changing the age might have been.

Luckily it appears as though you're ageing the book up rather than down. I could see people having issues with going from an adult to a teen, but the other way round...

I would say it less of a problem than it could have been. Changing the protagonist isn't such an issue but changing the age might have been.

Luckily it appears as though you're ageing the book up rather than down. I could see people having issues with going from an adult to a teen, but the other way round...
I can kind of see that, but it doesn't half irk the life out of me. I write books that are often a dual teen/adult perspective. Maybe it's because I live with teenagers (although they're getting older these days and one is not a teen any longer) but I don't see it as going up and down, but just changing life perspective. I'm aware the publishing world doesn't agree with my assessment that they all create the same story and instead slavishly believe teen books must be X and not Y. *sigh*

Yes, I sort of meant more because in this case, readers would more than likely have read the younger perspective while they were in fact younger.

Also, if you read a book featuring a primary adult protagonist and then found out the sequel was about his teenage sidekick it would be more likely to be a book the reader wouldn't be interested in.

Also I had a horrible moment of thinking the title of the thread - that can’t be edited by me - said sexual expectations.... :D

I honestly thought it did say that and I was thinking 'ew, Jo, TMI'. :ROFLMAO:

re. actual questions: MCs are often quite bland so it's nicer to see other characters take centre stage sometimes.