E-mail List

Lafayette

Man of Artistic Fingers
Supporter
I asked one author how he sold books and he told me e-mail lists are great helps. However, he didn't tell me how to get an e-mail list. So how does an author acquire an e-mail list? And how much money is needed?

I suspect he meant an email list made up of people who had signed up to his blog/website or had given him their emails at conventions, book signings or other events. It takes time and persistence to build a big list like that. Buying a list of random people who have never heard of you or your book and sending them emails doesn't seem likely to be very productive.

I suspect he meant an email list made up of people who had signed up to his blog/website or had given him their emails at conventions, book signings or other events. It takes time and persistence to build a big list like that. Buying a list of random people who have never heard of you or your book and sending them emails doesn't seem likely to be very productive.

Thanks for responding and commenting.

It looks like I'll have to track him down and get more details.

I detest mailing lists with a passion. They are incredibly effective but an utter bore to maintain.

I saw your post earlier. If you don’t fancy marketing online build a local following and promote locally. Sure you won’t be an Amazon bestseller but you’ll still have a blast :)

You could try Mailchimp. That's free to use up to 2000 subscribers.
If you are setting up an email list make sure to put a link to your sign up page. Maybe offer a reader magnet (free novel or even a short story).
You could try something like promotions on StoryOrigin (it's free at the moment) to drive sign ups too.
As Brian said, you need to regularly send e-mails. If you send one every six months, the subscribers will forget who you are and the list will go stale. Send an email once or maybe twice a month max.
There's a book called Newsletter Ninja by Tammi Labrecque which you might find useful.
Don't expect miracles from it. Typical open rates are say 30-40%. Think of all the emails you've subscribed to and how many you open and click. Realistically, if people are signing up for free stuff, then free stuff is going to motivate them to act more than paid.

I send a newsletter every Wednesday. I include insights on my writing journey, offer review copies, provide links to any cross-promotions I am in (through StoryOrigin - not free anymore, but affordable), and try to write something entertaining.
Ogma stated: "Don't expect miracles from it. Typical open rates are say 30-40%. Think of all the emails you've subscribed to and how many you open and click. Realistically, if people are signing up for free stuff, then free stuff is going to motivate them to act more than paid.". It's just another marketing tool with the hope that some of them will purchase your book, and subsequently your next books. Your list can be used for acquiring beta-readers as well.

I purge my list regularly, sending out final emails to subscribers who haven't opened anything for at least two months. They are just in it for that freebies, and will probably not make any purchases. It also improved your open rate.

I only have a blog subscription list instead of a separate newsletter. I don't keep any kind of schedule so it's low maintenance. I mostly post news and announcements. I maintain a separate blog and subscriber list for a flash fiction serial. Both lists acquire new subscribers by posting giveaways/contests on social media. I've got one going right now. Take a look at the link on my Proudly Bookish page at www.SarahHovorka.com