(Found) Need help identifying a mythos story

Rufus Coppertop

Who pinched my --ing harp?
I remember years ago reading something which I thought was HPL but may have been Derleth or Long.

I'm pretty sure it was set in Wisconsin in an isolated house in a forest and one of the features I remember that really grabbed me was the trees swaying in the wind except that after a while, the narrator or main character realizes that there isn't actually a wind to make the trees sway.

Can anyone identify this story for me?

Could it be The Color out of Time by Michael Shea ? This was a sequel to H P Lovecraft story The Color of Space.

I remember it being set in Wisconsin and I've recently read the Colour Out of Space and it's not the one.

The weird thing is, I also remember reading the Space Eaters and I was sure it was part of the Lovecraft Omnibus, a three volume set I had at one time by Harper Voyager...........but Space Eaters turns out to Frank Belknap Long and maybe this Wisconsin thing is August Derleth who set a lot of his work in Wisconsin.

Question is of course, what would Long and Derleth be doing in a Lovecraft omnibus when the omnibus isn't generic Cthulhu Mythos but specifically Lovecraft?

Attachments

• x500_e3b38e2b-16c3-4a7c-a980-957dad9520e7.jpg
    x500_e3b38e2b-16c3-4a7c-a980-957dad9520e7.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 138
I'm pretty sure it was set in Wisconsin in an isolated house in a forest and one of the features I remember that really grabbed me was the trees swaying in the wind except that after a while, the narrator or main character realizes that there isn't actually a wind to make the trees sway.

I remember it being set in Wisconsin and I've recently read the Colour Out of Space and it's not the one.

I don't know about the setting, but the trees not swaying I'm sure I remember as a feature of the Color Out of Space.

Question is of course, what would Long and Derleth be doing in a Lovecraft omnibus when the omnibus isn't generic Cthulhu Mythos but specifically Lovecraft?

There was a Derleth collection that fitted alongside the Little Brown books in terms of presentation - though I'm having difficulty finding it on Amazon because I only remember the cover:

It sounds like a Derleth one, I think The Whippoorwills in the Hills? It rings a bell from reading his Cthulhu writings. Then again, I've not read them in sometime. They creeped the hell out of me.

There was a Derleth collection that fitted alongside the Little Brown books in terms of presentation - though I'm having difficulty finding it on Amazon because I only remember the cover:

THAT is the book. I remember now that I see the cover. Whichever story it is, it's in THAT book.

Thank you so much.

Back