John Ringo's Legacy of the Aldenata Reading-Order Flowchart

Mike J Nagle

An Aspiring Member
Hello.

Back around 2001, I went to a book store to find something new to read. I had a little extra money to spend, so I splurged and bought a copy of the Honor Harrington novel, Honor Among Enemies, in hardcover. Honor Among Enemies had actually come out in 1996, but I hadn't read it yet. The book cost me $21.00, but I soon realized that I had stumbled upon an incredibly good bargain.

To my surprise, enclosed in the book, I found a CD from Baen Books that contained—in e-book form—not only every Honor Harrington novel that had come out so far, (which included the next four Honor novels, that I also hadn't read yet) but a couple of dozen other books from Baen written by other authors. Some of the authors I already knew—Larry Niven, Jerry Pournelle, James H. Schmitz, and David Drake. But there were a few other authors included that I had never heard of. Two of those authors were Eric Flint and John Ringo.

The CD included 1632 and 1633 by Eric Flint. I read 1632, and I was hooked on the series.

The CD also included the first three Legacy of Aldenata novels. When I read A Hymn Before Battle, the same thing happened.

Eventually, I created a reading-order flowchart for the Aldenata series, which is, unfortunately, incomplete.

The latest Aldenata novel was published in 2009, and at that point, Ringo has left the series unfinished. Instead, since then Ringo has devoted his efforts to other series, notably the "Troy Rising", "Vorpal Blade", Special Circumstances", "Paladin of Shadows", and, most recently, the "Black Tide Rising" series. I quite liked the first two series, but the last three, not so much.

In any event, here is my humble flowchart.

Sadly, I have no more reading-order flowcharts to share with all of you. However, if any of you know of any other large and popular series that might deserve similar treatment, please let me know, and I'll see what I can do. (I have already considered, but declined, to do J. R. R. Tolkein's "Middle Earth" stories, but I am willing to entertain other suggestions.)

Regards,

Mike
Aldenata_Flowchart.jpg

Last edited: