Terry Pratchett's Discworld Reading-Order Flowchart

Mike J Nagle

An Aspiring Member
Greetings,

Over the years, I have encountered many people who have encouraged me to read Terry Pratchett's Discworld stories. About a year ago, I gave in and read The Colour of Magic. I enjoyed the novel, and wanted to continue with the next story, but I didn't know which one it was.

So I did a bit of research, and then read The Light Fantastic and Sourcery. After a lot more research, I finally got a handle on the reading order of the series.

I then decided that, rather than letting all that research go to waste, I should create this flowchart, so I could share the fruits or my labors with other fans.

I hope you all like the flowchart, and find it useful.

Cheers,

Mike

Discworld_Flowchart.jpg

Mike , If you like Terry Pratchett another you might find of interest is James Branch Cabell . He was early 20 century fantasy writer and satirist . In all he wrote 50 fantasy novel , his s most famous being Jurgen a Comedy of Justice . He was the Terry Pratchett of his era, a master of iron humor , witty and hilariously funny, about 17 of 50 published novels are set in the local of Jurgen which it the imaginary medieval French provinces of Poictesme. :)

Also the comic novel Silverlock by John Myers Myer a comic fantasy novel staring all the character of myth and literature.

Last edited:
Useful, but a lot of the events in Discworld cross over between sub-series so the best reading order is pretty much just publication order.

Interesting to see it all laid out clearly like this! A few times I've found myself struggling with my memory when, say, a fan of Captain Vimes wants to know what to read next. The "Death" strand seems like it could cross the "Industrial Revolution / Moist von Lipwig" strand at "Soul Music," which is thematically related to "Moving Pictures." I've always thought of it in terms of different populations of characters. If you wanted to turn this into an eye-bending multidimensional nightmare, there's also Archchancellor Ridcully and his faculty at Unseen University, who seem to get the "B" plot in about every other novel from "Moving Pictures" onwards....