The Tombs of Atuan by Ursula Le Guin

The Big Peat

Darth Buddha
What makes something a classic – to have survived the passage of time and be judged (by rough consensus) to be outstanding in its field, to have a known value, to be considered of the highest quality of its time?

Is it a sense of being important in a genre’s history? Sometimes. Is it about being unusual, maybe seemingly unique for a bit? Sometimes. Is it about being championed by loud voices and lots of voices? Pretty much always.

Well. The Tombs of Atuan is important to the genre and what it does was very rare – and still is fairly rare – and I am here to champion the f*ck out of it.

For once upon a time in Earthsea, a little after the events of A Wizard of Earthsea, there was a girl in Karg named Tenar. Shortly after her birth, the priestesses of Atuan identified her as the new incarnation of the High Priestess of the Old Ones. They take her and raise her to be that priestess again, dedicating her to the Old Ones at the age of six. Her name is forgotten, taken along with her identity. What is left is Arha – the Eaten One.

We see Arha grow up in the temple known as the Tombs of Atuan, shaped by its dynamics, learning about her and her politics. Arha might be High Priestess of the Old Ones but other gods are worshipped there too, the Twin-Gods and the God-King of Karg itself. Their High Priestesses wield power too; they are older, more educated women, and their faiths are backed by the powers of the land, powers that are happy to see rivals forgot.

So Arha grows up, near friendless, always waiting, grasping at tiny shreds of power, embracing the self given to her because it has pride and meaning and she knows nothing else. Until one day Sparrowhawk, the Wizard of Earthsea, comes to steal from the Tombs of Atuan and finally a meaningful choice is put in front of her. Arha – or Tenar?

The Tombs of Atuan is special to read, and I mean that in the most basic sense. The prose is hypnotic, dragging us into the two different places Tenar inhabits – the harsh, scrubby desert of Atuan, and the endless dark of the Old Ones’ tombs – and the worries and thoughts of one woman. There’s a huge number of fantasy books where the author wants you to live in the world they’ve imagined and a tiny, tiny amount of them that can drag you in just as deep.

It is special to think about. It is becoming less so, as more authors write of their experience of having no agency, no choice, nothing but the role assigned to them and then one day finding out that is not true – be that due to gender, sexuality, ethnicity, or any other reason – but it is still a rare narrative in mainstream Anglosphere fantasy. Tasha Suri’s Empire of Sand is the only one I can think of off the top of my head like that. When I read that, at first I was unsure what I was reading, then it struck me like a hammer.

On this reread, I knew exactly what I was looking for (no small thanks to reading Empire of Sand and comparing the two). It’s so thematically compact – no line wasted – without ever detracting from its sense of wonder. Maybe it will even be too tightly focused for some. I might have found it that way if the book was longer, but it’s a fairly slim volume. I have to say, I kind of wonder what would happen if an author tried to write a book like today, post-age of the chonk and with all the expectations to fit a story the audience will recognise. Maybe the rise of the novella will give us more books like this (in fact, I suspect it’s starting to do so and I’ve yet to notice).

If it does happen, which I hope so, I don’t think many will end up with the reputation of The Tombs of Atuan. That’s partly because they won’t be as unusual. That’s partly because it is a crowded market place and it is hard to get championed like Le Guin.

It will also be partly because it’s very unlikely there’ll be as many as good. The use of language, of place, of character and history -it’s very difficult to get every element as good as this. This is a classic in my eyes, and many more.

(This review was originally posted as The Tombs of Atuan by Ursula Le Guin)

Happy to temporarily revive this thread. Agree with much of the above and just wanted to mention the miracle that is Tehanu, book four in this series—a series that many don't even realize goes beyond The Farthest Shore.

These two books (The Tombs of Atuan and Tehanu) are both not only tonal shifts away from the stereotypical male-gendered heroic fantasy motif; I, personally, would go farther and argue that, in Tehanu and thereafter, LeGuin's prose is actually superior to the earlier books, though I was slow to realize that myself. I've talked with several readers who had the same experience with Tehanu as I did. Reading it in my early-twenties, I was like "What is this? What happened to all the cool storytelling?" You know, I wanted wizardry and intrigue...

And then, precisely ten years later, I re-read it and decided that it was a classic.

Probably, having kids myself made a difference in my attitudes. They tend to do that.

Now that I've dedicated myself to my own writing, I'm in awe of what she did. For example, each of the four stories is actually driven in different way! One prism I like to use is O.S. Card's "MICE quotient (Milieu, Idea, Character, Event). When I use that construct for analysis, it plays out (for the most part) like this:
Book 1 ~ Idea-driven plot
Book 2 ~ Milieu-driven plot
Book 3 ~ Event-driven plot
Book 4 ~ Character-driven plot.

She was just remarkable.

Last edited:
The original trilogy stands up to time, and my increasing curmudgeonliness. I originally read it as a 10 year in the mid 1970s, and periodically since, alongside pretty much everything else le Guin wrote.

I am sorry to say that I really did not like Tehanu.

I, personally, would go farther and argue that, in Tehanu and thereafter, LeGuin's prose is actually superior to the earlier books, though I was slow to realize that myself. I've talked with several readers who had the same experience with Tehanu as I did. Reading it in my early-twenties, I was like "What is this? What happened to all the cool storytelling?" You know, I wanted wizardry and intrigue...

And then, precisely ten years later, I re-read it and decided that it was a classic.
Almost exactly my experience. (I still think Atuan pips it, but not by much.) I don't think it works if read immediately after the trilogy.

I bought Tehanu as soon as it came out and devoured it and re-read it and re-read it immediately and was immensely perplexed and disappointed as I'd truly loved the first three (read for the first time in my mid twenties) and just could not "get" this one. Some years later I re-read it and couldn't understand all the fuss I'd kicked up, and found that it connected deeply and helpfully with my inner world, much as the first and third books had. I guess in the intervening years I’d got older and become more accepting of the truths that the story embodies. I haven't read it in a while now, but it's still there inside me, like all the best books.
Ursual Le Guin held a book signing in London for Tehanu and I regret very much now not having attended as I could easily have rearranged commitments. A friend went: when she was in front of Ursula getting her book signed she said “I just want to say thank you”. I thought that was great.

So far I'm with others on Tehanu who bounced on it first time. I've yet to reread it though, although that may come soon. I'm a poor sell on character driven as a rule though.

Still, it can't go worse than my reread of The Farthest Shore.