David Weber's Honorverse Reading-Order Flowchart

I might look up #4 and #6 if I like what I find in #5. I'm appalled by how I lost track of the books in the Honorverse.

I might look up #4 and #6 if I like what I find in #5. I'm appalled by how I lost track of the books in the Honorverse.
Parson,

There are currently seven volumes in the "Worlds of Honor" anthology series.

They are:

1. More Than Honor
2. Worlds of Honor
3. Changer of Worlds
4. The Service of the Sword
5. In Fire Forged
6. Beginnings
7. House of Steel

Strictly speaking, House of Steel is not an anthology, since the novel I Will Build My House of Steel is the only story in it. The majority of the book is an Honorverse infodump. That is, it is a set of articles explaining the social, military, technological, and political facts of life in the Honorverse.

However, even though I Will Build My House of Steel is significantly longer than any of the stories in the first six volumes, I believe it is appropriate to lump it in the same group as the other stories in the "Worlds of Honor" series.

Just my two cents' worth...

Mike

Hello, again.

I have decided to change my Honorverse flowchart.

I noticed that I had not indicated where "Requiem" was published, so I fixed that. I also double-checked all of the shorter stories and made sure that they were all accounted for.

I changed the method from listing the anthologies and the stories included in them, and instead tagged every shorter story to indicate its provenance.

I also marked some of the stories with the dates in which the stories occur, to give an idea of the historical context of the series.

I think these changes constitute improvements to the flowchart, even if I am the one saying so.

I hope you all like the upgraded flowchart.

I store all my reading-order flowcharts at box.com, my cloud provider. I constantly upload every flowchart to box.com as it is updated.

The latest version of my Honorverse can be downloaded here:

This URL can always be used to download the latest version. In the future, if I modify the flowchart again, it will be available there.

All of my flowcharts are also stored at box.com. If anybody is interested, just ask, and I will post the URLs for loading the latest versions of them, as well.

TTFN,

Mike

Honorverse_Flowchart.jpg

Oops, again.

It seems that I posted the latest Honorverse flowchart too early. Since I posted the upgraded flowchart, I have found a couple of errors. I have corrected the errors and uploaded the corrected flowchart to box.com.

The URL in the immediately-previous post will now lead to the corrected flowchart.

As long as I'm here, here is the corrected flowchart. This time, I really mean it. <wink>

Honorverse_Flowchart.jpg

Well, I've listened to the intro. I've re-read On Basilisk Station and listened to the discussion on it.

Impressions
#1 These are ordinary people and bring non-professional ordinary ideas to the pod cast. Their criticisms are not those of a literary critic and for my money more valid for that reason.
#2 I felt that they made me see some of the things about On Basilisk Station that I hadn't picked up on before.
#3 Two of the men are military veterans and they see the story very positively from a military leadership point of view.
#4 It was nice to listen to other people talk about a book that I love and if they post For the Honor of the Queen, I'll read and listen some more.

Oops, again.

It seems that I posted the latest Honorverse flowchart too early. Since I posted the upgraded flowchart, I have found a couple of errors. I have corrected the errors and uploaded the corrected flowchart to box.com.

The URL in the immediately-previous post will now lead to the corrected flowchart.

As long as I'm here, here is the corrected flowchart. This time, I really mean it. <wink>

View attachment 92627
Thank you for sharing! It made my re-read of the Honorverse so much more of a pleasure. :)

(…) Their criticisms are not those of a literary critic and for my money more valid for that reason.
I admit that it‘s been more than 20 years since I read academic criticism, so I‘m probably not a great authority on the state of the discipline. But there is one thing that I love about it: the basic idea that every interpretation of a text is an individual reading. Which requires academics to be up front about what aspect of the text they propose to focus on and to use a defined set of tools.

None of those readings can be authoritative. Each has validity. And how much of it a reading has correlates to the skill of the critic. :LOL:

Has anyone here read To End in Fire? Any impressions? I am very much on the fence if I should continue reading after Uncompromising Honor.

Has anyone here read To End in Fire? Any impressions? I am very much on the fence if I should continue reading after Uncompromising Honor.
Vanje,

I have read To End in Fire. It was very well written, as were all of the novels in the "Crown of Slaves" series. I really enjoyed it.

One caveat: There are some events in To End in Fire that occur after the end of Uncompromising Honor, so it should be read after reading Uncompromising Honor.

Unfortunately, Eric Flint, who co-wrote all of the novels in the "Crown of Slaves" series with David Weber, passed away on July 17, 2022, so I don't know whether we can expect anymore sequels in the future.

I suppose that all we can do is hope...

As long as I'm on the subject, here is an updated flowchart for the Honorverse. As you can see, I have moved To End in Fire so that it reconnects with the Honorverse main line after Uncompromising Honor. I think this placement is more accurate than what I had before.

Enjoy,

Mike

Honorverse_Flowchart.jpg

I haven't read this. I might, but I haven't been too big a fan of this series. I'm not sure why.

I haven't read this. I might, but I haven't been too big a fan of this series. I'm not sure why.
I'm with you @Parson. I'm afraid I just don't get on with Eric Flint's writing; I find it inferior to Weber's. This may be a bit harsh but I find it more pulpy. Uncompromising Honor was the last I read in the Honorverse and I'm afraid I'll probably not be continuing any further.

Thank you for all the feedback! Much appreciated! :giggle:

I reckon I‘ll wait and see. If there’s more and it goes somewhere, I might very well start reading again.