David Weber's Honorverse Reading-Order Flowchart

Mike J Nagle

An Aspiring Member
Back in 1994 or 1995, I was at a bookstore looking for something new, and I bought The Short Victorious War by David Weber. At the time, I already knew David Weber from his "Dahak" stories, so I anticipated a good read.

The Short Victorious War was actually the third novel in the Honor Harrington series, but I didn't know that at the time, so I took it home and read it.

I was blown away. I immediately fell in love with Honor Harrington, and since then I have bought and read everything Honor, as it came out.

Fast forward to 2017. I had recently created a comprehensive reading-order flowchart for Eric Flint's "Ring of Fire (1632)" series, which I had "published" at Baen's Bar,and it had turned out pretty well. So I decided to do the same for the Honorverse.

That is what I'm presenting here.

Sadly, as of 2018, the Honorverse seems to be about complete, and so is my flowchart.

I hope you all like it.

Mike

Honorverse_Flowchart.jpg

Ive read on Basilik Station loved it . :cool: Have yet to read more.:)

Series you might want o look up Bolos for the Honor of the Regiment Anthology series.

Ive read on Basilik Station loved it . :cool: Have yet to read more.:)

Series you might want o look up Bolos for the Honor of the Regiment Anthology series.

By all means, read the rest of the Honor Harrington novels (On Basilisk Station and all the novels on the main, wide line following it in the flowchart).

They are, in my opinion, all excellent, and well worth the effort of reading them.

I'm sure you'll notice parallels between Honor Harrington's career and Horatio Hornblower's career in the novels by C. S. Forester. I don't think that David Weber chose Honor Harrington's initials purely by accident.

As far as the Bolo stories go, I have read most of them, both the ones written by Keith Laumer and those written by other authors. I agree, they are another series well worth the read.

Cheers,

Mike

I never realised there were so many Honor-verse books. Thanks for posting as these charts are very interesting.

Interesting chart. Thanks for posting it. I've read nearly everything on that chart and several of them multiple times. The best ones still thrill me.

Interesting chart. Thanks for posting it. I've read nearly everything on that chart and several of them multiple times. The best ones still thrill me.

Parson,

I'm glad you like the flowchart.

For what it's worth, I have read everything on the flowchart, most more than once, and I wish David Weber would write more.

I am currently re-reading Echoes of Honor, again. The story that spans In Enemy Hands and Echoes of Honor (I think of the two books as a single long novel) is my favorite of the series.

Cheers,

Mike

The first couple of HH novels were quite enjoyable. The next two were less thrilling, and I increasingly found HH herself annoying. They're not for everyone I guess. I may read more, but I'm not champing at the bit to do so.

it's a fantastic work. the books and your chart olol i saw something like that made for heinlein books and it was quite useful too

Parson,

I'm glad you like the flowchart.

For what it's worth, I have read everything on the flowchart, most more than once, and I wish David Weber would write more.

I am currently re-reading Echoes of Honor, again. The story that spans In Enemy Hands and Echoes of Honor (I think of the two books as a single long novel) is my favorite of the series.

Cheers,

Mike

For me the best 2 books of the series were On the Field of Dishonor (first) and On Basilisk Station (second) Both of which I've read 5 times and seriously considering reading them again. The later novels seemed a bit bloated to me and dealt less and less with Honor. But all that changed with the very last one Uncompromising Honor. Which seemed a lot more like the early ones to me.

Here's a review I did. https://www.sffchronicles.com/threads/572551/

For me the best 2 books of the series were On the Field of Dishonor ...
Also known as Field of Dishonor. ;)
I thought it was weaker than the first ones tbh - by the fourth book, HH was becoming altogether far too perfect, which made me root for her less. And for someone apparently so capable, she harbors an unrealistic degree of self-doubt; she's just not a believable character for me.

And for someone apparently so capable, she harbors an unrealistic degree of self-doubt; she's just not a believable character for me.

I can buy "not a believable character" because she was so hyper competent. The idea that anyone could be that good as so many things approaches the likelihood of FTL being possible. But Honor's self-doubt I can buy. It's my belief that only the truly arrogant have no self-doubt. Anyone who takes an honest view of her/his own abilities can easily see where they are/might be misled or seriously mistaken. It's rather like education. --- The more you know, the more aware you are of what you do not know.

for someone apparently so capable, she harbors an unrealistic degree of self-doubt;
In many branches of art, there have been and are people whom we might consider to be geniuses in their fields who are racked by self-doubt. I see no reason why there wouldn't be such people in other walks of life.

Honor's self-doubt I can buy. It's my belief that only the truly arrogant have no self-doubt. Anyone who takes an honest view of her/his own abilities can easily see where they are/might be misled or seriously mistaken. It's rather like education. --- The more you know, the more aware you are of what you do not know.
But its not binary, Parson. I don't mean to suggest she should have no self doubt - that would be arrogant of her as you say. But her sense of self-worth or self-esteem is so low - despite the fact that she has been repeatedly told how capable, intelligent, empathetic and attractive she is by large numbers of people (including the Queen and many of her superiors and crew) - that I find her complete lack of self-realisation annoying. If you're good at things, surely you can see it in the same way as you can see if you're bad at things. She's constantly amazed when she's given a compliment, despite having received more awards, medals and compliments than anyone else in history (probably an exaggeration :) )

To answer Ursa's point - that's also very true, but it doesn't make this fictional example less irritating for me. Of course, this is my opinion only - Weber's books sell by the skipful, so I daresay it's a minority opinion.

I began my Weber journey with Mutineer's Moon. Great novel. The second book in the trilogy was pretty good but in the third, he appeared to run out of ideas and essentially repeated ground covered in the first book. Then came the first Honor book. Again, great start. Again, it fell into the same formula of repetitive storytelling. I made it to book five and so ended my journey.
I know that his books are enormously popular so here I am, once again, in the minority. Drof shrugs and returns to writing book five of my none repetitive series.

I know that his books are enormously popular so here I am, once again, in the minority.
Think of it this way, Droflet, hundreds of thousands of SFF fans love Weber's HH series. But that means well over 7.5 billion people either don't like it or haven't even read it. Admittedly its mostly the latter...

Until we know for sure that they wouldn't read the books, couldn't most of the people in your "admittedly, it's mostly the latter" group be considered, in the meantime, to be... er... honorary fans...?

Until we know for sure that they wouldn't read the books, couldn't most of the people in your "admittedly, it's mostly the latter" group be considered, in the meantime, to be... er... honorary fans...?

Shakes head, and wonders what goes on in Ursa's head.

Could it be that „Dark Fall“ (at the top of string B) is really „Nightfall“?

Could it be that „Dark Fall“ (at the top of string B) is really „Nightfall“?
The author says in the notes under string B that "Nightfall is left out because it is only an expanded version of Chapter 33 of Ashes of Victory.

Thanks for resurrecting this thread. I'd forgotten the terrifically helpful chart.

I am doing a re-read following the chart, but I cannot find Dark Fall in the listed short stories below the chart.