Miss or miss?

jjcomet

When a character speaks to an unknown female - is the female capitalized or not? I think royalty is capitalized. Thanks.

As best as I can surmise, when used as a title before a name, it is always capitalized, e.g. Miss Jones. When used as a reference without a name, it may or may not be.

Reference: Miss | Definition of Miss by Oxford Dictionary on Lexico.com also meaning of Miss (click the hot link to the definition for miss2). The first example for 1.2 shows it as lower case. The examples shown under More Example Sentences all show it as upper case. All of the examples for 2 show it as lower case.

Last edited:
It's a bit of a tricky one. "Excuse me, Miss" or "Excuse me, miss". Personally I think in this context the capitalisation reads better.

I am checking out your reference suggestion. It is the site I need for some more basic questions. Thanks.

So it really could go either way? "Excuse me, Miss" or "Excuse me, miss". What is it they say, 'Writers licensing.' I have been using the lower case, though I like the look to capitalize.

Looking at some comparable terms, ma'am and sir always appear to be lower case. Mister, when used in place of a name, is always lower case, but also carries a somewhat derogatory connotation.

What I though about miss compared to Miss. And that bit you just said about ma'am and sir answers another question. I have a butler (in the story) that always answers with ma'am. First I was going with Ma'am, then later changed it to ma'am.

The style guide that my editors use notes that 'in direct address, do not capitalize a term like madam, miss, or sir if it stands alone without a proper name following. It is good to keep in mind what your editors or beta's use for style guides.

I would beg to differ on this.
And if you knew the name of Miss, you'd use it capitalised. "Excuse me, Jane." You're using Miss as a name, so i'd say it should be capitalised...
However, I would acquiesce to the notion that using the capital form might add some weight of respect in the persons voice rather than necessarily using miss as a replacement for their real name of someone you know. A miss for an unknown might contain a bit of question, leaving an opening for the miss to identify herself so you can stop calling her miss and you might then be open to giving your name..

In a similar way to when a military subordinate uses sir. Once is the accepted practice, and any more begins to broach disrespect becoming bad form.

And if you knew the name of Miss, you'd use it capitalised. "Excuse me, Jane." You're using Miss as a name, so i'd say it should be capitalised....

I agree, and in a similar way if speaking to a priest we did not know it would be "Excuse me, Father" rather than "Excuse me, father". On the other hand "Excuse me, mate" or even "Hey, you" would not be capitalised as neither is a formal title.