Used Book Store: When Was the Most Recent Time?

Extollager

When was the last time you visited a used book store?* Did you buy or sell or trade anything?

For me, it was about 3 1/2 years ago, on the 14th of July 2017. This was the Book Exchange in downtown Ashland, Oregon. I bought a Penguin paperback of The American by Henry James for $2.50. I haven't read it yet.
1614205103489.png

*Define as you wish. I have in mind a store that is devoted to selling used books, although it might have a few other odds and ends such as postcards or something. But if you want to consider as a "used book store" a thrift store that has a shelf of used books along with aisles of clothing, dishes, etc., go ahead.
1614205124878.png

Sadly all the ones that used to be on my hometown are gone and I miss them. I used to pay them a weekly visit when they were open.

Last time was in early November, shortly before lockdown started. My local Oxfam bookshop which is very well run. I picked up a few tasty morsels, and I look forward to the shop reopening.

Had a great day at the end of August rooting around in Hay- on - Wye with my son before he went off to university.

Its been many years. I don't know where any used book stores are anymore. I have bought a lot of used books on line, only bought a handful of new books.

I go several times per year usually, but not since 2019 due to all the lockdowns. I’m often selling/trading, but usually buy more than I earn.

Mid-January. We still have a very good one just outside the city and I usually stop there 2-4 times a year. I suspect their on-line trade is what keeps them in business, though. I picked up a mystery and Uncharted Territory by Connie Willis and The Shadow Pavilion by Liz Williams, for $11.50.

The place called McKay's here in Chattanooga, Tennessee, which buys and sells huge numbers of books, videos, CDs, etc., is always crowded. Masks required and all, but no decrease in business I can tell.

Last week, here, in Auckland:

1614283967483.png

I go there often, at least once a month, more than any store selling new books. I'm much less interested in new books, as most of what I want to read is out-of-print or only available online from the likes of Amazon. The 'Hard-to-Find' bookshop in Auckland has a whole SFF room/corridor:

1614284207731.png

I also sometimes go here, in Devonport on the north shore of Auckland (maybe 3-4 times a year):

1614284393304.png

This place, called Bookmark, sells only used books, and has a fair few first editions and collectable hardbacks. I have found there first edition Harlan Ellison, antique Edgar Rice Burroughs, first edition Aldiss, etc.

Of course, I appreciate that, living in New Zealand, I'm able to pop out to stores without even a face mask, whereas in much of the world, you have a very good excuse not to have visited a used books store in a little while.

It's probably been about 14 months. I can remember visiting one doing some Christmas shopping in 2019. Due to lockdowns and distancing the majority of my shopping since March 2020 has been online. I've shopped at several local bookstores through their websites with curbside pickup but this has been new books only.

I'll be hitting all the local used bookstores as soon as it's prudent given the pandemic conditions.

A couple of months ago just before the latest lockdown. I rarely visit new bookshops but the secondhand ones I love and am a regular, both the one in my lovely home town of Aberdare ( aberdare - Google Search )
and in Brecon.

A couple of months ago just before the latest lockdown. I rarely visit new bookshops but the secondhand ones I love and am a regular, both the one in my lovely home town of Aberdare ( aberdare - Google Search )
and in Brecon.
*Makes note for post-lockdown trip*

Yesterday I went into a half 'n' half bookstore. I picked up a used copy of a side by side translation of Lovecraft's Necronomicon, in English and Spanish. Looking forward to seeing how he's been translated.

About three years ago, the Old Pier Bookshop in Morecambe. A bit out of the way but well worth a visit. Somewhat of a serendipitous place - it doesn't matter what you go in looking for, what you actually find is just as good...

45420155_1982787105119992_432644330742611968_o.jpg

I'm lucky enough to have two in town -- a dedicated Oxfam bookshop and another called Kim's, and I visited both in December. Most of my purchases from both are Folio Society editions. These tend to be about 30% of the list price and in many cases have seemingly never been read (in some cases are still in plastic wrapping).

My local Oxfam is a dedicated Bookshop. Since the area I live in has/had some fairly important people resident, you will occasionally find fairly rare books [often dedicated by Henry Kissinger or some equally random] on the shelves. A couple of years ago the there two or three shelves of Russian and German history books in Russian and German [respectively]. I had to ask... Apparently they came from a diplomat's family after he died.
But my favourite find was Most Secret War by RV Jones, signed by RV Jones. My father was a fan so that was Father's Day sorted for £5
Haven't been there [or anywhere] since 23 Dec...

But my favourite find was Most Secret War by RV Jones, signed by RV Jones. My father was a fan so that was Father's Day sorted for £5

Lucky. There's no chance of me finding a bargain like that. At my Oxfam bookshop, the manager is very hot at working out the market value for unusual copies. A lot of those then sell online.

Back