10.17: The Walking Dead - Home Sweet Home

ctg

weaver of the unseen
TiV7ZFk.jpg

Maggie has returned with a story she is not ready to share, even when her past catches up to her. Negan's safety is at stake again. Daryl and Maggie fight an unseen and unknown threat.

This is first of the six special episodes filmed during the Covid19 lockdown to finish the season 10.

It kind of feels weird to see Maggie back in the small screen. She left everyone to fend for themselves. And she wasn't there when they really needed her. To be honest, there hasn't been a proper leader in the RickNation since Maggie decided to leave.

The committee in the Alexandria SafeZone and in the Hilltop, they all failed. They tried to do a proper job, but at the end it was all for nothing. What good does it do, when everything is gone and things are even harder to replace than they were before?

I know, I know, all of that sounds so pessimistic, while in the past I've been preaching about being positive, seeing the future. But as it is with everything, there is a time when you have look behind and find out what you left in the past. For Maggie, the wound still keeps oozing and she cannot see how Negan has tried to redeem the past errors.

dlJolPa.jpg

"Not all the horses and knights could put back together..." Oh, Negan, things that you could have done differently, but didn't. None of us are clairvoyants, and he is the last one to see the future, even though in the recent times he kind of saw all of it coming, but couldn't do nothing because of all that hatred. It is almost the same route that Darth Maul took after the Emperor cast him away.

There was no redemption for the Old Maul and I doubt there ever will be for Negan. Karma after all is a bitch as you reap what you sow.

43rAdss.jpg

Hilltop, Alexandria, Kingdom, all ruins. The thing is Maggie might have imagined that the RickNation is strong without her presence. That they would keep everything churning, even though the evidence in the past has shown that the region is rife with conflict. It is not a safe-haven.

You could say the same thing happened in the Fear, where no base, no faction turned out to be stronger than the other. It is almost as if we are watching the show, where everything failed. Even the hope. But you look at the past, the calamities humanity had to endure. We took them and we overcame even if everything was in ruins.

In the theories about the Flood is true and there was ancient lost lineages millenias ago, then the tale of humanity is long and arduous. It is trodding through the swamps of misery to reach happier times. The same thing applies to all survivors in the Kirkman's world.

You cannot give up. You cannot go at the bottom of the garden and cover yourself with leaves, because even if you die, you will turn and come back to live once again in sh*t and misery. Only that time you'll be the Dead.

Maggie's people are the same, complaining about having to live next to Negan. Oh man, why don't they just shut up and take it with a smile on their faces?

According to Maggie she went with Georgie to do exactly the same thing south of the DC that the Fear gang has been trying to do ages. It is kind of strange to think that in the essence the old authority took Maggie and planted her as a seed to another community, but nobody in the Ricknation knew what was happening. Maybe the strangest thing is that none of them thought about the old world and tried to establish connection with the Hilltop and Alexandria.

She claimed that it was Negan that prevented her from coming back and we all can understand that. Everyone of us can approve her decision on trying to be a better person, to live a life that Old Man Hershel thought her and her sister.

BtpA37b.jpg

Reapers? So not only everything was left in ruins, but Maggie brought the next threat in the DC. To be honest I was kind of expecting them to the helicopter people, finally pushing the TWD gang in the direction, where Rick already went, wherever it is.

I personally own the whole collection now, including the specials, but I've avoided dipping into the source material. It's just I wonder was it intentional to bring in another threat besides the Dead in the last parts of season 10? Are we really facing the end of Alexandria?

Maggie's people claimed that they use burned land tactics. I get it against the Dead, but against the living it is harsh, as you are also destroying safe heavens, deposits of valuable things. The whole strategy is about preventing the enemy from utilising the sources.

So why do it in the Kirkman's world? The Dead owns the land.

f0KTt6O.jpg

I was screaming at the small screen, when Maggie decided to go against Daryl's wishes. What on Earth possessed her to become a rambo? The ghillie geezer was hunting them. All of them. With subsonic ammo, while using proven tactics to lure the prey to the killzone.

The geezer was all kitted out. All doing it on his own as if he was on a mission. He even committed to do the last act as if Maggie's people were the worst scourge in the land. Pulling a pin and laughing at the enemy is a though thing to do and not everyone are capable of it.

We all die, that is for sure, because nothing last forever. But doing suicide bombing requires that extra will, a tragedy and the hatred. So what Maggie's people could have done that the "Pope" would have marked them for death, by any means?

UK air date 1st March on Fox.

You are right, but there is a way to see the episodes early and I apologise for jumping the gun. The official air date is 1st of March. The Walking Dead season 10 streaming: How to watch episode 17 early

If there is a way for you to hide this thread for a week, then I'm happy. Didn't mean to spoil anyone.

Last edited:
"This Attacker they meet in the woods, we know that this is part of the backstory of what Maggie's been up to up until this point. There's a lot of clues there about who this person is, even though he's mysterious and doesn't say much," showrunner Angela Kang teased on Talking Dead. "But clearly [he] has a high level of training, is an excellent fighter — there's a moment where he is shot with a bolt and he just snaps it off and keeps going — and this is one guy in the woods that takes out multiple people. He gets Maggie and Daryl, who are two of our strongest characters, into a bind in a really dangerous situation."

Pope and the Reapers have no exact counterparts in the comic books, but executive producer Denise Huth says questions will be answered when the Attacker's group hunts down their marked prey in future episodes of The Walking Dead.

"I think what's even more terrifying than what he was able to do physically as just one man is when he actually starts talking, they've finally apprehended him, and he mentions: 'Pope marked you.' And Maggie doesn't know what that means, we don't know what that means, but it's really creepy," Huth said. "I think it's really interesting to see characters like Maggie, and Cole, and Elijah — they're afraid. And for characters as strong and as good as fighters as they are, for them to be afraid, this is a whole other level of what they're going to be up against."

Huth continued, "And unfortunately, baddies never stay away. They always rear their ugly heads, so it's probably only a matter of time before we'll see a lot more of the Reapers."

"Little Hershel is freaking adorable. The young actor, he's great," showrunner Angela Kang said of series newcomer Spiller during The Walking Dead Extended Season 10 Preview Special. "I think he's really this wonderful mix of the characters Maggie and Glenn. I feel like his vibe, it's a very Maggie-like vibe where still waters run deep and there's sort of like a zen seriousness to him. And yet there is this rascally side too that I think is very reminiscent of Glenn."

I thought the Reapers might be the Helicopter People Human Remnants Cleanup Division.
The militarily decked out sniper seemed intent on executing every survivor he could get in his sights. Was his mission simply to exterminate anyone who does not qualify as an "A" or B"?
According to Maggie's group, the Reapers have been following and killing them for no apparent reason. The sniper's self-execution also seemed to follow the Helicopter People's prime directive to reveal nothing about themselves. Replacing the traditional poison pill with a grenade would be an option designed to take a anyone who might have learned too much with them when they go.

The helicopter people, reapers and the Civil Republic ( world beyond) I think once the films come out we will discover they are all the same group.

Maggie has returned, harder more cynical but she still has compassion, she may be the leader we have been crying out for.
Problem is she has brought more danger, they haven't yet recovered from The Whisperers can they survive another war?

Judith wears Rick's hat, his gun, Hershel Glenn's cap, what is left for RJ?

This was a really good episode. It seemed fresh, genuine tension. Elijah seemed like a real badass with the mask but underneath he was just a kid trying to deal with a terrible situation.

I am intrigued how the Maggie/Negan story will play out. Hopefully not a long drawn out one as is TWD's wont.

Maggie isn't stupid, she knows in times of conflict you have to accept strange bed fellows. I think she will tolerate him, he has skills they need. They have bigger problems at moment, her focus will be on rebuilding Alexandria, fortifying against the reapers, she will use Negan until he is no longer useful.

I thought the Reapers might be the Helicopter People Human Remnants Cleanup Division.
The helicopter people, reapers and the Civil Republic ( world beyond) I think once the films come out we will discover they are all the same group.

That would be a huge operation to keep three companies supplied and in the action. Especially with the limited resources they have available, unless they're part of the government that went hiding.

I vaguely remember Lt. Col. Kublek giving a pep talk to a subordinate who had reservations about an operation the Civic Republic military had carried out. I got the feeling that it was a My Lai-type slaughtering of civilians in the same kind of scenario Huck had rebelled against in her military past.
Both Kublek and the helicopter pilot Althea encountered in Fear both expressed a strong means-justifies-the end philosophy in doing whatever is necessary in the present to underwrite the future. Does that include eliminating all survivors outside of the Republic and its allies, which seems to be what the Reapers are doing?

In my own books I have a group called Gladius. They are not nice people to say the least. The thing is, the Authorities released them to aid the zombie apocalypse to make sure that the people couldn't survive and their target was the engineers, teachers, scientists, any who could make people to survive.

Maybe the Reapers are like them and Maggie was targetted because she was doing too good and therefore hindering whatever plan the Helicopter People/Reapers/Civic Republic. Hence her community got targetted to be wiped out, with her name on top of the list. And the Pope is the Handler/Mastermind/Commander.

Does that sound plausible?

“Look sir…” I gulped. “I-I don’t know…”

Brian studied my eyes for a moment before he stepped back and took a battered-looking field canteen from under his jacket. He took a sip, before shoving it my way. “Drink. We have a long way ahead of us.”

I took the canteen and asked: “Where are we going?”

“To a safe place, where you can explain to Jane about how you failed the task.”

“You mean about getting facts about the Gladius?”

“Yes.” Brian nodded. “Exactly.” Then he took a deep breath and said: “I don’t know what went through the Authorities’ minds, when they set those guys on us. I mean, it was already bad with the ****ing roamers and them screaming idiots. Not talking about the Damned kind, but facing your own lot…” Brian shook his head sadly. “…wasn’t really what we needed.”

“Are you telling me that they came after you?”

Brian let out a deep sigh and nodded. “Kind of… but it wasn’t me, but the important ones. You know: the leaders, the thinkers, the engineers and the makers. The ones who could have helped us to rebuild civilisation, after society had gone to hell in a handbasket.”

“Could you be more specific, please?”

*** Brian ***​

You might look at me and think I’m some sort of convict, but I’m not. The scars, the wear and tear, and even the short haircut are because of the times. It just wears you out. You cannot escape it. One day you’re a young lad walking down the street with long wavy hair, and the next you’re changing diapers and cussing like a sailor, because you trod on a piece of Lego in the darkness. It hurts. Badly.

The point is you get old, and with that age, you should get a bit wiser. But more often than not, it just doesn’t happen. It is so easy to be lulled into a false sense of security, even though your very own eyes see that reality is quite a bit different than the fantasy playing in your head. You could even say that wisdom is like a nagging wife; you should have listened, but you didn’t, because you were so deep into stuff, you didn’t stop to wonder what’s really going on.

Critical thinking is just a concept that never ever crossed your mind.

I thought we had it under control, when we hunkered down as the jets rumbled above us to destroy the city. And when the dust started to settle, a few weeks later, I stubbornly believed that our hastily-erected fortifications would have kept all unwanted elements outside our nice little community.

They were so high. So thick. Almost like the walls of the bloody Tower. There was no way in, and no way out. To be honest, those barriers should have lasted until the army saved the world. But, I was so wrong…

We were wrong.

At least one of us should have realised the military wasn’t going to last forever. Not against the fast movers, and certainly not against the slower ones, like the roamers as they after a while started forming hoards. Someone said: “They are savages who don’t have any humanity left,” when they started to ravage through pockets of communities, there was no way for us to stop them. Not with what we had in our hands, and certainly not after it looked like the army ran out of bullets, and disappeared.

Maybe they thought it was better to hunker down like the bloody elite. To be honest, trusting them was deeply rooted in us, because outside the realms of possibility none of us believed the roamers were going to live for as long as they do. Seriously, there weren’t any scientific facts to make us believe otherwise. The person dies and they rot away… slowly. If you ask anyone - and there was a lot of that going around in the amateur radio community – they would’ve claimed ‘the peak would be reached within a couple of months and then the creeps would go away one by one.’ The real truth was they didn’t, as one day that illusion were shattered.

I was in the back-garden, pulling out flowers, bushes and plants to make room to grow some vegetables and whatnot, when I heard an explosion. I turned to look towards the main street, but that was a mistake, as a pressure wave blew out the windows and showered the back gardens with thousands of shards. In a second they became a cloud that cut through almost anything. But I didn’t feel a thing. I didn’t even notice the cuts as I was in shock; thinking the creepers had caught us and the army was fighting somewhere near us.

So, I ran inside only to see my wife laying on top of our daughter. Kelly was bleeding profusely from a neck wound, where shards had cut her arteries, and her face. For a fleeting moment I thought I could save them. Then I saw the lights die in Kelly’s eyes just as I heard a weeping coming from underneath her.

“Mummy, mummy,” she cried when I pulled Jill out.

I shushed her quiet, saying: “She’s going to be all right. Stay strong.”

I held Jill close to my shoulder when automatic fire started clattering around us. At first I thought the army were shooting the geezers, but as I raised my head and saw - from the small barred kitchen window - one of our own going down, I knew that something was very wrong. Seriously wrong.

There was no way anybody could have thought that Robbie May would harm anyone.

Yet, there he was, standing on the street, a shovel in his hand, when a hail of bullets from blockade drilled through him. He slumped to his knees and coughed out blood with a stunned look on his face, while the sporadic firing continued, spreading its chaos down the street. In his dying moment he was probably thinking the same thing I was: How could this sh*t happen? How could they do this to us? We’d done nothing wrong!

It didn’t stop them from speeding down the road and driving over him. Then they stopped, backdoors slammed open, and out came the guys, looking like they’d been through a couple of wars already. Each one of them carried a gladius in addition to their weapons. It was almost as if they thought they were Caesar’s bodyguards.

That sight was so mesmerizing and so wrong.

The next thing Jill pulled my sleeve and screamed in my ear: “Daddy, daddy, is mummy going to die?”

I clamped a hand over her mouth and hissed: “Be quiet!”

She mumbled something, and while tears rolled down her face I felt my heart shrinking. Unless I could get us out of there, inevitable death was upon us. But as I heard a high powered shot followed by a scream in the back garden, I knew we couldn’t risk it. I had to find some other way. Something that didn’t involve going out there.

Those guys had not come here to save us, but to slaughter us, of that I was certain.

I saw a human shape passing the window before something slammed on our door hard. Repeatedly. Listening to wood cracking and door giving in cleared my mind. Instantly. I knew what I needed to do. I raised a finger over my mouth and whispered, “Whatever you hear or see darling, you’ll stay quiet, okay?”

Jill nodded. I gave her a hug, and forced her into the cupboard under the sink. Then just as the front door caved in I smeared my face with Kelly’s blood. For a little while the thug rummaged on the ground floor before he started descending the stairs to the basement.

I laid down next to Kelly. When his boot landed on the floor, I held my breath and steeled my nerves, keeping my eyes open, but completely still. Slowly the brute of a man filled my vision as he walked into the kitchen, holding a silenced pistol in one hand and a gladius in the other. He stopped to point the pistol at Kelly’s head.

The red light gleamed under the barrel before the flash took my vision. I heard a clonk coming from cupboard, and so did the thug.

“Who’s there?” he grunted.

I blinked my eyes and through the sea of violet and red dots, I saw him pointing the pistol at the cupboard. As his finger tightened around the trigger, I exploded into action. I scrambled up, grabbed a long shard of glass and stabbed it above the thug’s knee.

He screamed and so did I as I bull-charged him against the fridge. I smashed my fists furiously against his belly. He pushed me back and tried to hit me with his blade. It scraped the top of my head. Then he started collapsing. I grabbed his blade in one hand, the pistol barrel in the other and smashed my head into his jaw. It was one blow and the geezer was down, taking the final countdown.

“Is he dead?” a frail voice asked behind me.

I glanced over my shoulder and saw Jill’s head poking out of the cupboard.

“Yeah,” I said first and then added quickly, “No,” and then, “Maybe. I don’t know.”

*** Henrik ***​

I watched Brian hiding his face under his hands, while his mighty shoulders started shaking in the rhythmic sobs. And for the first time, I didn’t know what to say. How to comfort him and tell him everything was going to be all right; that what he’d experienced - in his house - was just a bad dream.

It wasn’t. Not by any account.

Nevertheless, I couldn’t stop thinking about how closely the Gladius resembled paramilitary contractors, the Mi-6 has favoured since the nineteen fifties. Of course, back then the Agency had not been in its fully realised form, but had come out as an idea. But Brian’s testimony made it clear that they were a cleaning crew. Like the ones we’d used successfully in the Northern Africa campaign to eliminate masses of Jihadists.

Last edited:
"She's making a very conscious effort to not allow Negan to control her," says executive producer Denise Huth. "That power that he had over her is part of why she left, and the decision to come back means he doesn't get that power anymore."

Adds Cohan, "I definitely would love for people to draw their own conclusions about what Maggie may be thinking when she and Negan come face-to-face again. There's a long road ahead, there's a lot to be done. He's in trouble."

The producer is agreeing with you Nixie. There's going to be an accident.

"This Attacker they meet in the woods, we know that this is part of the backstory of what Maggie's been up to up until this point. There's a lot of clues there about who this person is, even though he's mysterious and doesn't say much," showrunner Angela Kang said during Sunday's Talking Dead. "But clearly [he] has a high level of training, is an excellent fighter — there's a moment where he is shot with a bolt and he just snaps it off and keeps going — and this is one guy in the woods that takes out multiple people. He gets Maggie and Daryl, who are two of our strongest characters, into a bind in a really dangerous situation."

When Maggie revealed pieces of that backstory to Daryl, she couldn't bring herself to tell him everything about what happened during her years away on the road with the now-missing Georgie (Jayne Atkinson). But the past has come to haunt Maggie, who is left to question who marked her — and why.

"Maggie doesn't know what that means, we don't know what that means, but it's really creepy," said executive producer Denise Huth on the virtual Talking Dead. "I think it's really interesting to see characters like Maggie, and Cole, and Elijah — they're afraid. And for characters as strong and as good as fighters as they are, for them to be afraid, this is a whole other level of what they're going to be up against."