Men's shoe types

Astro Pen

Write now.
Supporter
Funny what you come across when researching. Whole areas that you thought were fairly simple become complex voyages leaving you with an extended vocabulary. Able to pin down a precise style of shoe for example. Beyond plain lace ups, brogues, loafers and slip-ons lies this little lot.
Scroll down for 60 examples and click (sluggish site) for more detail.
ps 'Back' doesn't work, clicking on shoe types and styles gets you back to the index page

Last edited:
I suspect that trades that use a lot of detail can develop their own vocabulary that gets very technical. I remember someone putting a chart of women's shoe types on Facebook. It seems that there are many more than "normal", "sandal" and "painful-looking".

One of my favorites came from a post on a site for medieval historians. The person wanted to know what sort of shoe a 12thc Cistercian monk would wear when going outside the monastery. Fer reelz.

I do so wish I'd archived the replies...

Paul Dickson's "A Connoisseur's Collection Of Old And New, Weird And Wonderful, Useful And Outlandish Words" has an entry: "Skigs. Shoe - business word for a slow - moving item."
You can view examples of skigs at any branch of TK Maxx or Clark's Factory Shop

...although. thinking about it, I may have got that the wrong way round, and it's really: one's that don't fit on the left foot and one's that don't fit on the right foot.

Rather worryingly, the vast majority of shoes are, simultaneously, of both types.

Back