Recommend an AE VAN VOGT, DEAN KOONTZ & ELMORE LEONARD novel.

The Voyage of the Space Beagle by A E Van Vogt
Slan E He Van Vogt

Yes definitely Maximum Bob by Elmore Leonard It's alos the only book ive read by him . It was also the basis for a short lived vdv series with Beau Bridge in the role of Bob.

By Koontz I hight recommend his 5 book Frankenstein saga. It terrific. ! :cool:(y)

Depending on what brand of Koontz really grabs you the Odd Thomas and Jane Hawk series are good.
Also his Moonlight Bay books are great--Fear Nothing and Seize the Night.

It's been a while since I've read any Dean Koontz but I'd recommend Lightning, Phantoms, Midnight and Twilight Eyes,

A.E. Van Vogt, The Voyage Of The Space Beagle.
Dean Koontz, The Face or Dark Rivers Of The Heart or The Bad Place.
Elmore Leonard, Glitz or (sorry folks but I couldn't resist this one) Maximum Bob!

Last edited:
I second (third?) Baylor and BBB's Voyage of the Space Beagle. Also loved both Weapon Makers (a little dated.)
I would have said SLAN, due to fond memories, but on a Vogtian kick I just re-read it and the others (after 55 years!). it did not hold up well. On the other hand Voyage did. It's a fix-up with the two of the three classic space beasties of all time (my opinion.) (The other is the thing in Campbell's Who Goes There.)
Like most of Elmore Leanard. Just about anything. Try Pagan Babies or Get Shorty. Unless you like Westerns. Then try Hombre.
Koontz? Haven't the foggiest.

Last edited:
Dunno about audible.com but some of my favorite van Vogts are The Mixed Men (aka Mission to the Stars), The Voyage of the Space Beagle (like everyone else :)), the Weapon Shop books, and the collections Away and Beyond and Destination: Universe. But, really, almost everything van Vogt wrote from at least 1939-51 has something in it to fascinate.