Stuck on inspiration about politics.

Omits

I'm writhing an Arrival novel (just for retirement fun really) set in the near future and stuck on the politics of such an event where a large Alien ship arrives and parks itself above Earth (initially cloaked until a strategy is decided). There being no Aliens in charge the Alien Intelligence (AI) on board decides to invite (by stealth) a human to volunteer and represent the AI and a group of 'accidental' aliens on board. Like, 'can we make friends with humans'. The Aliens are sentient and have ethical rules so there's no real threat except that perceived by Humans themselves.

The chosen (by the Aliens) Human agrees and after abduction and familiarisation they declare themselves to the world as a whole. I am just wondering about how the United Nations Organisation would gather itself to meet the challenge. That is the politics of it all. What sort of themes would arise to build into the story? Yep, I know there will be stuff going on outside of that and indeed there is. Having written about 350K words so far I'm just getting in a teensy bit of a muddle :unsure: not having really got an idea and realistic set of squabbling happening at the top level in world politics.

Any references, books to read etc. welcome. Or advice of course. Please ask for further clarification.

PS, please note it is not the intention to major on a particular nation. I find many Sc-Fi novels are US based (yes, OK! I'm UK (y)) and seem to isolate maost of the ROW.

Last edited:
I would research the UN Security Council as I would guess it would have the lead in this for the UN. Of course, the five permanent members are China, France, Russia, the UK, and the US. I could certainly see internal squabbles between at least three of them with the intent of delaying multi-lateral talks while individual delegations attempt secret one-on-one negotiations.

You may want to also research the International Space Station, which is half Russian and half US. This might be a logical departure point for negotiations initiated from the Earth. I am assuming from your description that the AI initiated contact is hidden from Earth governments.

Is this the kind of information that you are looking for?

Last edited:
This article is a decade old, but no doubt this is a subject that has been discussed seriously at a highest level.

Ah, yes. in my near future the UN is somewhat different with 20 voting members (try and imagine that coming to pass!). My Human insists the UN sets up a committee for Alien negotiations (based on the long-standing UNOOSA). The trick for him is to aim at motivating the public world-wide (heavy Socmed activity here) on the Aliens side. In this world China predominates technologically. ISS is now practically out of the story and the Gateway is in place supporting Moon operations. Military is creeping into sis-lunar space. The AI leaves the Human to act as negotiator as it's rules forbid it direct contact with biological beings. The back-story to that is a bit lengthy for here. You have given me the idea that the 20 could split for - against but think about it if Aliens arrive and announce the undercurrents would include fear, panic, intense media (Socmed) activity, heightened military levels, etc.

Yes, thanks. Just someone else's view gets the mind thinking in different directions. What would this guy set in place to mitigate the worst reactions? At this time I have a decloak strategy of a benign interruption to all the worlds Space Ops. I center this around 'Joint Space Admin' JSA a joining of the West's Space organisations (SETI gets a kick in the ass as well) but not sure how to represent or think about how commercial side might react. See my muddle? And of course, who might be majoring in Space in say thirty years time?

Must not rabbit on I keep telling myself!

Thanks.

From your description, the main political conflict would seem to be non-voting UN members vs. voting UN members vs. nations with military in space. Each of these might have a desire to be the primary point of contact and may make threats against human contact's friends and family. May also resort to assassination attempts to force appointing a new contact person. Another angle to consider, a militarized space force might declare the alien ship abandoned and seek salvage rights - research current maritime law and salvage. It looks like there is room for a lot of background coalitions between various groups if you want to go in a political thriller direction.

Thanks both. Yes, the angle of self-interested groups is covered by the fact that the Protagonist insists on meeting with a UN contingent, but you have a point and I will build that in. Remember that there will be certain reluctance to clash initially with a powerful visitor (manifest by the decloak process and the fact that a landing craft can get from 2400Km orbit to ground in 30 seconds). A pickup of three volunteer officials (the UNSG, American General and the current Chinese Space affairs chairperson) to the Alien ship is arranged. I need to develop that a bit but a vote in the SG (voting now by the 20 is by population density - OK, not a likely evolution of the UN but I will stick to it as it has been muted as a way to go for the UN and surely as Space evolves more countries will sign up to the OST) wins despite the perceived risks for the 'volunteers'. The story moves on with a visit by the biological Aliens and the Protagonist to UN HQ in Geneva (US avoided here as Switz is neutral) but while they are there an attack (EMP) followed by a mercenary force attempt to land and take the Spaceship which fails (of course). Rocket tech now permits delivery of personnel in Space especially from the Moon where the Chinese have an extensive base with hidden military facilities). The storyline is rather tame atm so I need some politics. Need to consider assassination (thanks for that idea so likely a suicidal Drone flock) and of course social media activity and even military Drones. Salvage rights - good one! There's a Mars angle I'm working on for later chapters.