The New Legends of Monkey

M. Robert Gibson

is
Supporter
CBBC are to show a new series The New Legends Of Monkey inspired by classic novel Journey To The West, by Wu Ch’eng-En, as well as Japanese series Monkey, which was dubbed for English audiences.

I'm sure there are many here who remember the 70s and 80s Monkey series. I kinow I do

I'm a fan of the original book as well, it being one of the few book I've read more than once.

Fascinating , ive never seen or even heard of this .:unsure:

Do you mean this new series, or the whole Monkey/Journey to the West saga?

Here the opening to the earlier series
Class :p

I not familiar with either .:(

I just watch the trailer . Oh my god , that looks psychotic ! I love it ! :D

Last edited:
It was almost required viewing in the 80's one of the Beebs best imports.
Might have been the late 70s. This was core viewing when I was at primary school, along with Dukes of Hazzard. There really was nothing else like it on tv. Water Margin had preceded it by a year or two, and although that was unintentionally comical ( bad dubbing, ott fights, odd translation) it was essentially a serious drama. Monkey was hilarious fun.

Loved the original Monkey. The humor was way, way out there. I doubt that an American remake will capture the same magic. But I'll await feedback.

Loved the original Monkey. The humor was way, way out there. I doubt that an American remake will capture the same magic. But I'll await feedback.
Actually @Droflet it's an Australian, New Zealand production filmed in New Zealand. The first three episodes were combined into one telemovie for its Australian premiere.

Holy cow!!! Thanks for that Vladd. I wouldn't have guessed that. I supposed that's where the, ahh, colorful dubbing comes from.

I watched the antipodean series a while back on Amazon Prime. My 13 year old enjoyed it. I found the lead a bit flat.

Holy cow!!! Thanks for that Vladd. I wouldn't have guessed that. I supposed that's where the, ahh, colorful dubbing comes from.
I think Vladd was referring to the new series being an Australian, New Zealand production. The 70s version was Japanese
and according to this
was 'BBC dubbed' :unsure: