Do You Name Your Chapters?

I usually don't name them — just put numbers. As a reader, I like both. Chapter titles can be fun, if well thought out, but depending on the sort of book (fast-paced urban fantasy, thrillers, etc) I find them unnecessary as they can break the flow if I'm really caught up in the story.

I can attest that HB does indeed write great chapter titles. So does @The Bluestocking! I think they work particularly well in books that have a bit of humor to them, like Rick Riordan's Percy Jackson series. (He actually starts each chapter of his Trials of Apollo series with a haiku, which is next-level chapter title work!)

Awww! Thanks, Ju!

Honestly, I think you're on to something there with chapter titles working well for books with humour. A good title helps set the mood for what's to come as well. I love writing titles though - the appropriate title will also keep readers' curiosity hooked. :giggle:

I haven't titled chapters in the books I've written so far, but I do plan to title chapters in a future project.

Naming chapters is great, I love good chapter titles whether it be a chapter of book or an episode of TV. To be honest I suppose I only really remember the latter, a good episode of tv always stays in my head (s5ep14 - Ozymandias, s7ep1 - The Day Will Come When You Won't Be, s6ep13 - A Mother's Work). But for me book titles are also very important when done well because if I read one I'm curious to know what it means or how it ensues and will be excited to start the chapter - obviously good chapter titles cannot carry a book the writing is most important which goes without saying but I do feel the chapter titles are a special gem.

I find [chapter titles] unnecessary as they can break the flow if I'm really caught up in the story.
I apologize for using a partial quote that does not fully reflect Juliana's original statement, but the end reflects my feeling as a reader. It is probably a matter of personal preference, but I do not find a chapter title that hints at what I am about to read to be helpful. I also do not like the style of putting some somehow related quote to start a chapter as I feel it interrupts my feeling of story flow. Any of these styles, however, will not affect my decision to choose or not choose a book to read, so it may not really matter.