Wizards and Witches and Magic Users of All Types Etcetera in Cinema, Television , Literature, Graphic Novels Games Thread .

My first witch would've been the one in the Hansel and Gretel story by The Brothers Grimm. (I think the original story is quite violent. Don't the kids come back and chop the witch up?)

The Wicked Witch of the West from the Wizard of Oz is probably my most memorable witch. She terrified me as a child.
I believe they throw her into the oven and locked the door.

Last edited:
My first witch would've been the one in the Hansel and Gretel story by The Brothers Grimm. (I think the original story is quite violent. Don't the kids come back and chop the witch up?)

The Wicked Witch of the West from the Wizard of Oz is probably my most memorable witch. She terrified me as a child.

I liked the version of Wicked Witch of the West in show Once upon a Time . They gave her a history, depth and dimension that she never really had in The Wizard of OZ.

Sybel the Sorceress in Patricia McKillip's Forgotten Beasts of Eld . Makes me wish her and his menagerie of remarkable beast were real.

Ann Rice wrote some books about the "Mayfair" witches. I remember reading The Witching Hour, but it was a long time ago.

Clive Barker's Weaveworld (one of my favourite books) had a trio of witches as the main combatant. One was beautiful and alive, the other two were dead. Their power came from "The Menstruum".

Ann Rice wrote some books about the "Mayfair" witches. I remember reading The Witching Hour, but it was a long time ago.

Clive Barker's Weaveworld (one of my favourite books) had a trio of witches as the main combatant. One was beautiful and alive, the other two were dead. Their power came from "The Menstruum".

Yes, that trio was of witches were memorable for mode of power, especially the on sister that produce parody doubles of those they victimized and was Shadwell and magic coat . I remember when Weaveworld first came bookstore, I grab it immediately. This is a great fantasy novel , a powerful and epic read and a fantasy classic.

Malygris the sorcerer. appears in only two stories by Clark Ashton Smith . He was one of most powerful sorcerers that Clark Ashton Smith ever came up with. I wish Smith had done more stories then he about the character . Malygris who lives a place in the city of Susan on the continent of Poseidonus is the most feared and hated man. His knowledge and magical power are the greatest of any Wizard in that age. He's best left alone.:)

Tolkein is full of wizards and witches and Gandalf is basically an underachieving stoner compared to most of them. Tom Bombadil and Goldberry, Sauron, Celeborn and Galadriel can create and destroy entire worlds at will, Gandalf the Grey is a mere conjurer of cheap tricks by comparison (though Gandalf the White is possibly another matter)

I always liked the Mad Mage Halaster, creator and boss of Undermountain (from various D&D settings)

I really like Saruman; such a complicated character. And so said that he has fallen from such a lofty powerful position - and he knows it. The thing that fascinates me about him is a small passage from LOTR where it is mentioned that he is known by the Uruk-hai affectionately as 'Sharkey'. Whereas the orcs of Mordor deeply fear their master and are ill-treated, Saruman's orcs like him, and he seems to treat them almost as his children.

It's also ironic that if it wasn't for Saruman, Pippin and Merry would have been carried off to Mordor, and all of the Fellowship's plans would have been exposed. He was obviously at one time and great and powerful wizard for the force of good, but the lure of the Ring has changed him to the 'dark side'.

Probably the most interesting and multi faceted of any character in LOTR.

What about the rise of witches in TV shows, such as Charmed. There are a few now, I think. (I never saw Charmed, but my dad loved it.)

Wasn‘t Willow from Buffy the Vampire Slayer a Witch?

"Charmed," was a vehicle for Shannon Doherty, until she did her usual of getting up everyone's nose - the reboot is utterly pointless.

I always had a soft spot for Belgarath, a drunk, a womaniser, a thief, a lar, and capable of stopping the sun in its tracks, and his daughter, Polgara, the only one who could tame him into some kind of responsibility.

Another I've just remembered - Samantha Stephens from Bewitched. Used to love watching this on tv, and she's probably the best looking witch there's been!

What about the rise of witches in TV shows, such as Charmed. There are a few now, I think. (I never saw Charmed, but my dad loved it.)

Wasn‘t Willow from Buffy the Vampire Slayer a Witch?

Yes , Willow was a witch and one one point the she such power and promise the head of the Vengeance demons wanted to recruit here. She politely and nervously turned him down . He was very clearly disappointed by tis but, gave her a talisman if she ever decided to change her mind. That scene and reaction on his part was unexpected and hilariously funny. I loved that show ! :D

Last edited:
I really like Saruman; such a complicated character. And so said that he has fallen from such a lofty powerful position - and he knows it. The thing that fascinates me about him is a small passage from LOTR where it is mentioned that he is known by the Uruk-hai affectionately as 'Sharkey'. Whereas the orcs of Mordor deeply fear their master and are ill-treated, Saruman's orcs like him, and he seems to treat them almost as his children.

It's also ironic that if it wasn't for Saruman, Pippin and Merry would have been carried off to Mordor, and all of the Fellowship's plans would have been exposed. He was obviously at one time and great and powerful wizard for the force of good, but the lure of the Ring has changed him to the 'dark side'.

Probably the most interesting and multi faceted of any character in LOTR.

Someone on Youtube did scenario of what if Saruman had taken a different path and stayed a good guy and traced how the story of LOTR might have unfold differently. :)

Someone on Youtube did scenario of what if Saruman had taken a different path and stayed a good guy and traced how the story of LOTR might have unfold differently. :)

Thanks will check that out. I think that even if Saruman had remained good, he would have wanted the Ring to be used to destroy Sauron, which would have led to disaster. With him in charge, the Council of Elrond would have gone very differently.

Ironically, if 'bad' Saruman had sat back and allowed the Ring to be destroyed by the Fellowship, he and his Uruk-hai would have been the major force in Middle-earth.

Either way, if Saruman had done anything differently to what he did, it is likely things would have ended badly.

Thanks will check that out. I think that even if Saruman had remained good, he would have wanted the Ring to be used to destroy Sauron, which would have led to disaster. With him in charge, the Council of Elrond would have gone very differently.

Ironically, if 'bad' Saruman had sat back and allowed the Ring to be destroyed by the Fellowship, he and his Uruk-hai would have been the major force in Middle-earth.

Either way, if Saruman had done anything differently to what he did, it is likely things would have ended badly.

There LOTR other scenarios on Youtube you might find of interest , What if Saruman had got the ring , What Gandalf had taken the Ring , what if Thorn Oakenshield had lived .:)