Is it alright for men to read Jane Austen?

Or you could report on your reactions to each book in the monthly reading thread where a longer review isn't necessary, or you could open a separate thread just dealing with your progress through the books.

In answer to the question of this thread I would say yes!
Any adult should be allowed to read whatever they like, if your a six foot eight twenty stone heavily bearded, muscled and beer drinking biker and you like to read Mills & Boon romances then why the hell not if it gives you pleasure.
Any one grown up should be allowed whatever they like, I remember someone on some TV talk show saying that adults should not be allowed to read Harry Potter, I just thought, who they hell do you think you are saying what I can and cannot read!
Personally I would only read Austin with a gun to my head, this goes for most straight/literary/classic novels of this type, but that's just me and I wouldn't dream of criticizing anyone from doing so.
So have at it guys and gals, read whatever gives you pleasure and ignore any one criticizing your taste in books.

I read pride and prejudice and sense and sensibility for my a level for Austen but I forgot what the story is about, don't really enjoy them.
I enjoy Tenant of the Wildfell hall, though, by Anne Bronte. Will re-read it some day.

You most absolutely should and would benefit from reading these books to gain a perspective opposite but just as valid as your own. In any case, all literature is aiming for clarity and understanding of the existence, so if you dive into books with this perspective, you soon go mad with choices. At that point, you'll probably want to narrow your scope for your sanity. However, I do think that there's a ton of published, both self and traditional, material that's utter garbage and is only sold because it appeals to peoples wants and fears. Inclusivity and magical thinking are easy to sell if that's the foundation of people's orientation. Inclusivity is more instinctual though and should be promoted, but what sells, ironically, promotes individualism and promises of financial prosperity for everyone. The global economic system is set up to promote truth because it damages this message.

Too long, didn't read?

In short, you definitely should read novels that have stood the test of time.

Read what you want. People don't think the same way, so everyone has there own idea of what they find enjoyable to read, sometimes what other people think, is right on the money, and other times their likes have nothing to do with what you like. If you're not sure, go to a bookstore or a library and read a bit of a book you are considering or never considered before and see if you like the author's style. I like to check out what other people have collected and sometimes choose something from there.

After reading 150 pages of Sense and Sensibility. I have decided that Jane Austen is not for me.
I don't think this one was highly visible among Austen's books till the movie came out 20 years or so ago. A better book for judging Austen is Pride and Prejudice or Emma. If you give either of those a fair try & don't like it, you probably can leave Austen's work alone in good conscience.