Who's the first to come to mind when I say - Villain?

BAYLOR

There Are Always new Things to Learn.
Thanos , especially given the scale of his schemes.

The Big Peat

Darth Buddha
Brandin of Ygrath, from Tigana.

Probably because he's the villain I've rooted for most; charismatic, intelligent, witty, forward-thinking (at times), cultured. Yet unmistakably a villain, for what he wants and takes isn't his, and shouldn't be his, and his methods cause great suffering and his reasons are deeply selfish.

Cat's Cradle

Time, now, to read...
Supporter
My wife and I are currently watching the Star Wars movies, 1 through 9, so Darth Vader popped instantly to mind.

BAYLOR

There Are Always new Things to Learn.
Kane The Mystic Swordsman from Karl Edward Wager's series . Kane is immortal , amoral, callus ,has the eyes of silent killer , craves power , want's to rule the word no matter how much destruction and suffering is involved.

reiver33

Only Forward
Supporter
Of the ones I recognise, we seem to have a fondness for intelligent menace.

paranoid marvin

Run VT Erroll!
Supporter
The word 'villain' makes me think of someone with few (if any) redeeming qualities and who is (more often than not) ultimately doomed to failure. Equal parts intelligent and ruthless, but also with a touch of the theatrical (because every fictional villain has their own inimitable style).

The person that always springs to mind is William Shakespeare's Richard III. His internal monologues are the stuff of legend, and his portrayal so convincing that even today this is thought to be his true character (even though there is little real evidence to suggest this is so). I think that many a modern villain, from Francis Urquhart to Ernst Blofeld has his roots in Shakespeare's villainous monarch.

Some good suggestions already; I particularly like The Joker, Servalan, and Saruman (much moreso than Sauron). A few others would include Obadiah Hawkeswill, Davros and The Emperor (rather than Darth).

Toby Frost

Darth Vader first, then Lawrence Oliver in Marathon Man, and then some cockney bloke in a Guy Ritchie film who claims to have known the Kray Twins. "I'm a bleedin' villain, me!"

mosaix

Shropshire, U.K.
Supporter
The face of Donald Pleasance immediately sprang to mind.

BTW is there a difference between a villain and a baddie? Somehow, Darth Vader just seems like a baddie to me.

Luiglin

by day Stuart Orford by night Dark Lord's scribe
Supporter
The face of Donald Pleasance immediately sprang to mind.

BTW is there a difference between a villain and a baddie? Somehow, Darth Vader just seems like a baddie to me.
A layer cake of villainhood.

Toby Frost

I think my mental image is of an arch-villain rather than just a straight up bad person. Stormtroopers and thugs would be baddies, to my mind.

M. Robert Gibson

Supporter
This is the kind of person I always think is a villain
villain.jpeg