Author analysis from Astounding/Analog through the decades

Interesting stuff. I note the lack of any double-digit author in the 1970's, while every other decade has at least one author reaching at least 29 appearances. Were there a lot of new or unprolific authors at the time?
A couple of answers to this I think Victoria.

(i) There were actually some double-digit authors in the 70's: Card, Robinson, Haldeman, Pournelle and others, but they only really contributed in the 70's so they don't make the century's top contributor table.

(ii) But, yes, they only just got double-digit numbers themselves (10 or 11), so I think its right that in the 70's (mostly ed. by Bova), more new authors were tried out

The number of authors in the different decades does tell us the 70's indeed had more authors:

1614830057454.png

The top 10 contributors to Analog in the 2000's decade (2000-2009):

1614918843497.png

Interesting to see Niven back up there - I would not have guessed that. Lovett, Frederick and Oltion are the go-to authors for the magazine in this decade.

I have started a bit of a project on my website: see here.

Fantastic and fascinating job! A lot to ponder over and a lot of new perspectives.

Hmmmmm ... Maybe I should dig out The Best of Raymond Z. Gallun and finally read it.

Same here.

Zahn's early short stories, before he got sucked into writing Star Wars extended-universe books, were generally pretty good. I've read and enjoyed several.

Have you not read Sheffield? His novel Between the Strokes of Night, is excellent.

I second that on both Zahn and the Sheffield novel. I wonder what Zahn's career would have been like if he hadn't hit the Star Wars lode. On the one hand, he might be much less known but, on the other, we might have a lot more of his excellent independent stories and novels and he might be seen differently by a lot of SF readers.

No, never have read Sheffield, but maybe I will give that one a try. But before then I think I'll give Clarke's Rendezvous with Rama a try.

I may have missed why Clarke came up but it's interesting you should mention him in connection with Sheffield given the kind of famous bit that Sheffield and Clarke independently came up with space elevator novels within months of each other in the late 70s and have been linked by that ever since.

The top 10 contributors to Analog in the 2000's decade (2000-2009):[...] Interesting to see Niven back up there - I would not have guessed that. Lovett, Frederick and Oltion are the go-to authors for the magazine in this decade.

I was surprised by the Niven, too. For some reason, nothing specific by Oltion springs to mind, but I seem to recall Lovett (also a big non-fiction contributor) and Frederick doing some things that could merit their place.

Just some of the million things that occurred to me going through the lists:

On the 1930-4 list, I have read stories by Bates, Wandrei, and others, but only have (unread) books by Ray Cummings and then, of course, lots of Williamson and Leinster but those survived to make continued impacts. Just from 1935-9, it changes drastically, as I have books by Gallun, Binder, Campbell, Long, Weinbaum, Rocklynne, Wellman, Williamson, and de Camp or 9 of 17 names.

Astounding captures almost all the biggest SF names of the 30s/40s except Edmond Hamilton, who had a much more hospitable home in Weird Tales.

On the 40s, I have read at least one Jameson story but I agree that he (and perhaps Raymond F. Jones) sticks out as "not like the others" in terms of name recognition, though he may have more great stuff that I should be aware of. (One thing I'm struck by is how often I'm surprised at people's seemingly strange notions of "household names" yet how in accord our households seem to be.) Either way, almost every author (even on the 5-year breakdown) is well worth reading. Rocklynne (split across the late 30s and 40s) might be my "greatest contrast between how well he's remembered and how well he ought to be remembered" candidate.

On the 50s, Fyfe is a name I know but it is surprising to see what a big deal he was. More surprising is that Everett B. Cole was a frequent contributor and I'm not sure I've ever even heard of him. Anvil is a guy whose name didn't really register for a long time, but it eventually did and I do have a book or two of his to read someday. Budrys, though reasonably well-remembered, I suppose, would be my nominee for the greatest discrepancy there.

On your website, you say "Looking at the decade as a whole, it is interesting to note that van Vogt, George Smith, Hubbard and Jameson have now disappeared from Astounding." We can blame Dianetics for Hubbard and van Vogt (though van Vogt at least wasn't involved with Scientology). And, while Campbell didn't absolutely let it stand in the way of buying a good story and I don't know all the facts behind it, I can't imagine he was exactly eager to buy George Smith stories after Smith ended up with his wife. Sometimes writers being prolific contributors might not mean much beyond personal issues - Williamson's writer's block, Leiber's occasional alcohol problems, etc.

The 60s doesn't quite go back to the early 30s, but there are several unfamiliar and less familiar names there. Of those I do know, James H. Schmitz should be remembered better. (Like Budrys, I feel like he is, but not enough.) Seeing Harrison and Reynolds along in here make me again think that Campbell and Astounding have a somewhat monolithic conservative reputation when both those writers (perhaps even more than Asimov) are examples of very left-of-center writers who were frequently published by Campbell.

Interesting that Wodhams was so productive at both the end of Campbell and the beginning of Bova while only a few others hit both lists at all, and lower down. That's definitely a writer I have to find something out about. One thing that is striking is that being a prolific contributor is no guarantee of top quality but many of the most prolific are top-quality and some unjustly forgotten, so it seems worth finding out there.

Speaking of the 70s discrepancies, while original anthologies go back to at least 1951 and Healy, they had a significant impact on the market in the 70s, which may also account for some of the shifts. For instance, Silverberg was still quite prolific in short fiction but was captured by Pohl and Galaxy/If in the late 60s and then, in the 70s, published mostly in upscale markets like the original anthologies and Playboy and so on. In the late 70s and on, Omni pulled a lot of people, both because of the pay and because of the Bova connection, as he left Analog to edit Omni.

On the 90s, G. David Nordley and Stephen L. Burns never seemed to get as much traction outside of Analog as they should have. Nordley, especially, has written some really good stuff. And regarding Asimov publishing there through seven decades, loyalty is a big component of his character. I don't know that he was ever all that prolific but Nelson Bond may be somewhere near that longevity mark, too.

Thanks for all your thoughts and feedback, J-Sun - and its great to have you and your thoughts back.

I didn't know the background to van Vogt and to George Smith - and yes, that probably affected his publications in the magazine!

You wondered if Nelson Bond might be up their for longevity. I'll post further stats and tables on this due course, but just for the record, here is Bond's output for the 20th century in Astounding/Analog, alongside a few others who published for numerous decades and started doing so as early as the 30's or 40's:

1615088777790.png

You can see that Bond perhaps published a lot more elsewhere - he wasn't that prolific or longstanding in Astounding. Murray Leinster is interesting as he's the only author with longevity in Astounding who actually predated the magazine's founding under Bates by more than a decade (he first published SF in 1919). Williamson had dry spells, but just kept going. MacLean wasn't anywhere near as prolific as Moore in the 40's, but she just kept going with a few stories each decade. Charles Harness surprised me - he got a second wind toward the end of the century, having made his first publication in the Golden Age (Aug 1948).

You wondered if Nelson Bond might be up their for longevity.

Thanks for looking into that. It's funny how the mind works (or fails to) - I remembered he'd published a story in the 90s and thought he'd published throughout but (a) the 90s story was a bit of a comeback and (b) it was in Asimov's, anyway. All kinds of wrong.

Okay, a few things to note and update on this:

Firstly, as I near the present day, I appreciate that the location of this thread in classic SF is a bit odd, but I guess it stemmed from an analysis of classic SF magazine authors starting before the 'golden age', and the recent data can be viewed in context with the classic decades already analysed, so I'm happy for it all to be here if other don't mind.

Secondly, I have updated my website feature to include my in-depth analysis of both the 2000's and the 2010's. See here, for the website feature.

Thirdly, for those who just want the low-down top 10 for each decade, I'd already posted the 2000's, Here is the top 10 for the 2010's (2010-2019):

1615437631538.png

I have now got full data from Astounding/Analog compiled for 1930-2019. I could post the all-time table, as there is not another full decade. But should I post the all-time table up to this month's analog, or up to the end of the last decade, as it'll be a moving target and I won't be updating it every month, I guess. Views? What do you want to see? Data to end of 2019, or data up to 'today'?

I have now got full data from Astounding/Analog compiled for 1930-2019. I could post the all-time table, as there is not another full decade. But should I post the all-time table up to this month's analog, or up to the end of the last decade, as it'll be a moving target and I won't be updating it every month, I guess. Views? What do you want to see? Data to end of 2019, or data up to 'today'?

I think what you say about the moving target makes sense and you might as well keep it consistent and do it to 2019. If this was 2023, I might say "round up" (to the five-year block, anyway) and do it all, but given that it's just early 2021, 2019's close enough. :)

On your full write-up, good catches on the Williamson/Anderson longevity and on the Spinrad re-appearance. I've always loved that "the point-man of the New Wave" was a "Campbell discovery." He's one of my favorites and it points up how, while you can erect fictional barriers, it's a voluntary and not a necessary thing.

Speaking of, I get that, as a result of the politicization of things, Torgersen's name is likely mud with many folks but he's actually an excellent writer I've enjoyed a great deal. I recently read his latest book, A Star-Wheeled Sky, and I should have revived my blog with a review of it, as it was a blast.

Another odd note relates to John G. Hemry. It probably took two things to get me to end up buying fifteen of his books. There was a thread here at the Chrons about his then ongoing Lost Fleet series which made it sound interesting but I don't know I'd have followed up just anybody there - the fact that I was familiar with Hemry from Analog first-hand combined with the buzz resulted in a sale and the fun of the series resulted in many more.

And regarding the number of stories from Analog in the 2010s, it's true that there were something like eight thin single issues and two "special" "double" issues each year which were then boiled down to six almost "double" bi-monthly issues like the "special" issues had been, so the decrease of issues wasn't as damaging to the overall word count as it might have seemed but the main reason there were so many more stories is that Quachri had this (to me) really irritating habit of publishing issues made almost entirely of many very short stories with no, or almost no, novellas and very few novelettes. I don't know if he's continued the habit but it made reading and reviewing Analog a real pain for me. Very short stories are very hard to do well (most tend to be kind of fluff) and, while I enjoy them very much when they are very good, I prefer something with a little more meat. (But, as the Spinrad re-appearance indicates, I do give credit to Quachri for trying to expand the contibutor list as a sort of shadow of what Bova did in the early 70s.)

Anyway - I'm really looking forward to the all-time table, however you decide to do it.

Many thanks for your thoughts J-Sun. More on those later. For now, I've collated few tables that may be of interest.
This is the all-time Astounding/Analog publication ranking table, with all authors who had 30 or more stories published in the magazine:

1615494823994.png

So, Jerry Oltion is the current leader, and given he's still publishing it's hard to see him being overtaken in the near future.

I found it interesting to see who was 'active' for the longest time. This table shows the authors who had stories published in 5 or more decades:

1615495274638.png

Last edited:
It's also perhaps interesting to see whether the SFWA Grand Master Award winning authors published much in Astounding/Analog. Some didn't at all. For some of the greats, this was because they didn't write Campbells' style of 'hard SF'. Softer SF writers of course published elsewhere. This doesn't explain Phil Farmer's absence and its especially strange to me that C. J. Cherryh has not published in the magazine, as it seems her cup of tea. The recent crop of award winners that haven't published in the magazine, 2017 onwards, perhaps says as much about the award than it does the authors or the magazine. (And Willis has published a lot in Asimov's and I find a lot of her work is hardly SF, so her absence is to be expected).

1615495502834.png

These two final tables (for now) show the fastest publishers per decade and the slowest publishers that showed real longevity. The hares and the tortoises, so to speak.

The hares:
1615496549806.png

The winning hare was clearly Nat Schachner, as most of his stories came in the 30's and 51 is the most by any author in a single decade, all time.

And the tortoises:
1615496528797.png

Walter L. Kleine (who I had never heard of) deserves mention - 6 stories in 4 decades, but over a span of 7 decades! Now that's dribbling the fiction out! Not quite so impressive, but also clearly 'stayers' were Katherine MacLean, Dean McLaughlin and John Berryman - each contributed just a few stories most decades over a span of 6 decades.

Last edited:
Cool additional charts! By the way, I've just realized I have a question: how are you counting serials? Not at all, as one, or as however many parts the serial has?

I had two decisions to make in what I counted, and in the end I went with the following:

(i) Serials - I counted the whole serial as one story. So, I ignored parts 2, 3 etc. This does some authors a disservice. EE 'doc' Smith only published serials. But there's not necessarily a right way to do it, and if I counted serials as 'a story' I could make consistent claims about 'stories published' as opposed to having to refer to "total number of fiction entries in magazines" or some such.

(ii) I ignored 'Probability Zero' stories. ISFDB includes them, but they are not 'real' stories to my way of thinking.

(i) I agree there's no one way - on the one hand, they're single sales of single works and, on the other, they take up X slots of the magazine, so counting them either way would make sense.
(ii) Some PZs are more story-like than others but, yeah, most aren't very. That's one of my complaints about some of the Quachri issues - for every thing billed a PZ, there'd be a half-dozen more "stories" that were virtually indistinguishable from PZs.

Anyway, thanks for the clarification!

Just looking at that graph, should Stanley Schmidt be considered as important an influence on the magazine as JWC, just because of the length of service? Maybe not. The relatively short term of Ben Bova seems to have led to some important changes in the direction of Analog.