11/22/63

TomMazanec

I love time travel stories, so I loved this one.
The female main character (forgot her name, borrowed this from the library) realized the protagonist was from the future because he sang "Honky Tonk Women". I was just a toddler at the time, but would this actually give a time traveler away? I never was in the military but my cousin/guardian was. One thing I learned from him is that soldiers often sing raunchy songs. During the Age of the Draft many if not most men in the country were veterans. Wouldn't she think that was just some army song?

I love time travel stories, so I loved this one.
The female main character (forgot her name, borrowed this from the library) realized the protagonist was from the future because he sang "Honky Tonk Women". I was just a toddler at the time, but would this actually give a time traveler away? I never was in the military but my cousin/guardian was. One thing I learned from him is that soldiers often sing raunchy songs. During the Age of the Draft many if not most men in the country were veterans. Wouldn't she think that was just some army song?
It wasn't just the song, he had a knowledge of horse race winners and forthcoming major news issues IIRC.
He'd sang HTW a few times in the car while they travelled, (also other songs from 'her future') and it struck her as odd due to the raunchy lyrics wouldn't have got air play at the time.

On a related note, the sitcom Goodnight Sweetheart had Nicholas Lyndhurst playing Gary Sparrow who habitually jumped from the nineties to WW2 London, he often 'composed' songs back in the 1940s that were simply classic pop from the sixties etc

Last edited:
The Steven King novel I really enjoyed (although the ending was a little underwhelming). The tv series version was very poor. If you haven't seen Goodnight Sweetheart, it is definitely worth watching. Very funny with some great characters, and a poignant ending.

For time travel capers , Life on Mars and it's sequel Ashes to Ashes are both worth checking out.

The Steven King novel I really enjoyed (although the ending was a little underwhelming). The tv series version was very poor. If you haven't seen Goodnight Sweetheart, it is definitely worth watching. Very funny with some great characters, and a poignant ending.

For time travel capers , Life on Mars and it's sequel Ashes to Ashes are both worth checking out.

Check out Twilight Zone Profile in Silver .:cool: you can find it on Youtube

Talking of songs from the future, long, long ago there was this rather strange play on the radio.
I can't remember what the plot was but at one point you could hear someone playing a piano in the background from another room.
Now the play was set in the late forties or early fifties, someone said to just ignore the piano as it was played by his rather batty old aunt.
She claimed to be in touch with spirits who showed her things from the future.
I carried on listening to the main characters talking, but after a while it dawned on me what was being played, it was The Beatles "Yellow Submarine"???

The was a story I read where a time traveller was going around singing, trying to make contact with others of his kind, not sure when it was set, maybe forties or early fifties, but the song was The Beatles "Yesterday"!
P.S. It's possible The Rolling Stones song Honky Tonk Women is actually a cover version from an earlier blues record, The Rolling Stones got a lot of their inspiration off old blues recordings.

Last edited:
Back