Whom Do You Consider The Greatest And Most Memorable Characters In All Of Cinema ?

...we have the question of most famous now...
No, we don't! That wasn't the OP's question. That was my point. The question said, "Whom Do You Consider The Greatest And Most Memorable Characters In All Of Cinema?" Where does it say "now" or "among living people" in that question?

a time when film was the number one mass consumer entertainment medium
Precisely! Which is why those older, popular characters, Tarzan, Sherlock Holmes, Dracula, Frankenstein's Monster, would also score higher than more modern characters.

Also, I would disagree about how many living people recognise recent science fiction cinema characters. I personally know people who wouldn't recognise Darth Vader. I know people who wouldn't recognise Captain Kirk. Okay, not very many, but certainly not 100%. So, when we get down to characters like Robocop and George Taylor (Planet of the Apes) you are really going to struggle. I really do think that people on this forum overestimate the number of people who watch science fiction, which is understandable.

Probably, if we are going to make the question apply only to living people, then more people would recognise James Bond, Rocky or Batman.

That's the thing--there are people who do not care about movies and never would--even if living decades back.
When we say memorable and greatest, I am trying to think in terms of overall and lasting cultural impact.
Most people have never seen Nosferatu and wouldn't know who Count Orlock is, but that image of a vampire has resonated and been copied or used as a reference ever since.
Is he the greatest character for witty dialogue?
No.
Or rather,
nein.

No, we don't! That wasn't the OP's question. That was my point. The question said, "Whom Do You Consider The Greatest And Most Memorable Characters In All Of Cinema?" Where does it say "now" or "among living people" in that question?
Humble apologies. I lost the OP's question a while back and was responding to the posts.

Thomas More for me, from A Man for All Seasons. A genuine hero.

Hilary Mantel is less enthusiastic about More in her novel Wolf Hall. Also, from Wikipedia:

During More's chancellorship, six people were burned at the stake for heresy; they were Thomas Hitton, Thomas Bilney, Richard Bayfield, John Tewkesbury, Thomas Dusgate, and James Bainham.[19]: 299–306  Moynahan argued that More was influential in the burning of Tyndale, as More's agents had long pursued him, even though this took place over a year after his own death.[42]

Burning at the stake had been a standard punishment for heresy: 30 burnings had taken place in the century before More's elevation to Chancellor, and burning continued to be used by both Catholics and Protestants during the religious upheaval of the following decades.[43] Ackroyd notes that More zealously "approved of burning".[19]: 298  Marius maintains that More did everything in his power to bring about the extermination of the Protestant "heretics".[40]

John Tewkesbury was a London leather seller found guilty by the Bishop of London John Stokesley[44] of harbouring English translated New Testaments; he was sentenced to burning for refusing to recant. More declared: he "burned as there was neuer wretche I wene better worthy."[45] After Richard Bayfield was also executed for distributing Tyndale's Bibles, More commented that he was "well and worthely burned".[19]: 305 

The question said, "Whom Do You Consider The Greatest And Most Memorable Characters In All Of Cinema?" Where does it say "now" or "among living people" in that question?
I'm unsure if "most memorable" even implies popularity. Something is memorable if it sticks out in the minds of those who have seen it, regardless of who has seen it or not. I took the question to mean "who is most memorable to you?"

The Tramp is not the way Gary Oldman is. To me.

Hilary Mantel is less enthusiastic about More in her novel Wolf Hall. Also, from Wikipedia:

During More's chancellorship, six people were burned at the stake for heresy; they were Thomas Hitton, Thomas Bilney, Richard Bayfield, John Tewkesbury, Thomas Dusgate, and James Bainham.[19]: 299–306  Moynahan argued that More was influential in the burning of Tyndale, as More's agents had long pursued him, even though this took place over a year after his own death.[42]

Burning at the stake had been a standard punishment for heresy: 30 burnings had taken place in the century before More's elevation to Chancellor, and burning continued to be used by both Catholics and Protestants during the religious upheaval of the following decades.[43] Ackroyd notes that More zealously "approved of burning".[19]: 298  Marius maintains that More did everything in his power to bring about the extermination of the Protestant "heretics".[40]

John Tewkesbury was a London leather seller found guilty by the Bishop of London John Stokesley[44] of harbouring English translated New Testaments; he was sentenced to burning for refusing to recant. More declared: he "burned as there was neuer wretche I wene better worthy."[45] After Richard Bayfield was also executed for distributing Tyndale's Bibles, More commented that he was "well and worthely burned".[19]: 305 

There's an old expression: "Ce qui commence en mystique finit en politique," loosely translated as "What is first preached by mystics ends up as politics."

We moderns are radically incapable of understanding society prior to the French Revolution, which isn't said to excuse everything done by that society but which helps put it in context. Our problem is that we can't grasp the fact that in the pre-revolutionary world there was no such thing as a secular state. A secular state means that government and religion are separate; the government does not base its authority or lawmaking on the precepts of a religion, even if that religion is held by the majority of its citizens. This means that if somebody comes along and starts preaching a new religion and makes converts, there is no reason for the government to impede him as he is not threatening the social order in any way.

It was a very different thing in the past. Then, it was considered obvious that the government upheld the religion of its citizens since the citizens took for granted their rulers would protect and defend their most cherished beliefs, beliefs which were the foundation of the social order. A government could not be neutral in religious disputes as its authority and legitimacy were precisely founded on religion. So when somebody came along and began to preach a new religion everybody knew what would happen next. Once the preacher had gained enough converts he would raise an army and attempt to compel the authorities in his region to support his religion. Luther attempted it, Calvin succeeded. The result was religious civil war. It happened in Germany where about half the population died in consequence.

It is for this reason that the Inquisition existed in Spain and Italy and something similar in France and England: you were always free to believe whatever you liked in private, but you could not propagate your beliefs in the public forum. The best modern equivalent are perhaps Marxist guerillas. They have a set of social and political beliefs but their whole aim is to compel a government to adopt those beliefs, which means civil war with its pandora's box of horrors. Governments at that time executed heterodox preachers in the most horrific way possible as the most effective means they could devise to stop religious political dissent in its tracks before it got out of hand and turned into a civil war.

Sure, we are repelled by the thought of burning people alive, but are we nobler beings? The Inquisition in Mediaeval and post-mediaeval Europe executed surprisingly few people: the Spanish Inquisition in its 350-year existence put to death about 4000 people, say 12 per year. Let's look for comparison at the bombing of Dresden, January 1945. Dresden wasn't a military target; it had no factories or anything else that much helped the German war effort. Nonetheless British and American bombers dropped incendaries on it for a day and a night. The resultant firestorm burned 25 000 civilians alive, people who had committed no crime, were not soldiers, but were nevertheless targets of the Allies. If someone like Thomas More had known of it what would he have thought of us? What about Hiroshima or Nagasaki?

The ideal of course is to live in a world where people get along in perfect harmony and don't drive governments to act in such extreme ways. Good luck with that...

The resultant firestorm burned 25 000 civilians alive,

Digressing as we are, Stars and Stripes--the US Military newspaper, using eyewitness US and UK estimates, said in 1945 it was more like 200 000 killed. I don't know how modern historians would be more accurate. Did they find some kind of records? It sounds like a really low number for a place that had a lot of people and refugees and considering how destructive it was for Tokyo.
Kurt Vonnegut talked about it-- I don't know if he offered his own estimate. I checked, 135 000.

Hundreds of years after More, you could still be executed in England for poaching or, as a 13 year old in 1801 was, stealing a spoon. More only burned 6? Sounds downright humanitarian compared to how the justice system of that nation functioned.

There's an old expression: "Ce qui commence en mystique finit en politique," loosely translated as "What is first preached by mystics ends up as politics."

We moderns are radically incapable of understanding society prior to the French Revolution, which isn't said to excuse everything done by that society but which helps put it in context. Our problem is that we can't grasp the fact that in the pre-revolutionary world there was no such thing as a secular state. A secular state means that government and religion are separate; the government does not base its authority or lawmaking on the precepts of a religion, even if that religion is held by the majority of its citizens. This means that if somebody comes along and starts preaching a new religion and makes converts, there is no reason for the government to impede him as he is not threatening the social order in any way.

It was a very different thing in the past. Then, it was considered obvious that the government upheld the religion of its citizens since the citizens took for granted their rulers would protect and defend their most cherished beliefs, beliefs which were the foundation of the social order. A government could not be neutral in religious disputes as its authority and legitimacy were precisely founded on religion. So when somebody came along and began to preach a new religion everybody knew what would happen next. Once the preacher had gained enough converts he would raise an army and attempt to compel the authorities in his region to support his religion. Luther attempted it, Calvin succeeded. The result was religious civil war. It happened in Germany where about half the population died in consequence.

It is for this reason that the Inquisition existed in Spain and Italy and something similar in France and England: you were always free to believe whatever you liked in private, but you could not propagate your beliefs in the public forum. The best modern equivalent are perhaps Marxist guerillas. They have a set of social and political beliefs but their whole aim is to compel a government to adopt those beliefs, which means civil war with its pandora's box of horrors. Governments at that time executed heterodox preachers in the most horrific way possible as the most effective means they could devise to stop religious political dissent in its tracks before it got out of hand and turned into a civil war.

Sure, we are repelled by the thought of burning people alive, but are we nobler beings? The Inquisition in Mediaeval and post-mediaeval Europe executed surprisingly few people: the Spanish Inquisition in its 350-year existence put to death about 4000 people, say 12 per year. Let's look for comparison at the bombing of Dresden, January 1945. Dresden wasn't a military target; it had no factories or anything else that much helped the German war effort. Nonetheless British and American bombers dropped incendaries on it for a day and a night. The resultant firestorm burned 25 000 civilians alive, people who had committed no crime, were not soldiers, but were nevertheless targets of the Allies. If someone like Thomas More had known of it what would he have thought of us? What about Hiroshima or Nagasaki?

The ideal of course is to live in a world where people get along in perfect harmony and don't drive governments to act in such extreme ways. Good luck with that...

Justin, I replied in PM as we are getting way off topic here (my fault).

If the required property is recognition by the most people over the longest time then I would say Superman wins.
A character known on screen from the 1940 s (apparently) but certainly known now throughout the world.
I'm afraid the 3Stooges and Perry Mason etc are a fairly local thing, not that well known even in Britain, let alone the rest of Europe or (God forbid) elsewhere in the world.

Superman is indeed an interesting choice. It would certainly belong on any short list.

Superman was not a cinema creation though.
His fame is not due to the cinematic versions alone.
Cartoons, comics, toys, radio, tv shows...there is so many other things that promoted the character.
Likewise for Tarzan, Sherlock Holmes, except that the 1930s film and radio versions tended to dominate the general perception.
"Me Tarzan, you Jane." That line has become so common place and the same is true for Rathbone's Holmes. There's an expectation about how one says, "elementary, my dear Watson!"

Dracula and Frankenstein, same thing. Even if you have never seen the movies, who isn't familiar with a Hungarian accent for Dracula or the Karloff Frankenstein image. It's been used so many times in other works.

Also, the term "superman" was already known in the 1930s.
I watched a 1936 Zorro film, and someone spoke a line --"you must be a superman."
It was already in circulation.
Nowadays if you say "Superman" everyone thinks of a red cape.

Also, the term "superman" was already known in the 1930s.
I watched a 1936 Zorro film, and someone spoke a line --"you must be a superman."
It was already in circulation.
Nowadays if you say "Superman" everyone thinks of a red cape.

From Encyclopedia Britainnica:
superman, German Übermensch, in philosophy, the superior man, who justifies the existence of the human race. “Superman” is a term significantly used by Friedrich Nietzsche, particularly in Also sprach Zarathustra (1883–85), although it had been employed by J.W. von Goethe and others.

From Encyclopedia Britainnica:
superman, German Übermensch, in philosophy, the superior man, who justifies the existence of the human race. “Superman” is a term significantly used by Friedrich Nietzsche, particularly in Also sprach Zarathustra (1883–85), although it had been employed by J.W. von Goethe and others.
Nietzsche's term (and the thinking behind it) was adopted by another prominent German (Austrian actually) who popularised it in Germany in the 1930s and in Europe in the first half of the 1940s. Clarke Kent, you Nazi, you!

That's an interesting aspect to it--superman originally meant being the best you can be-or rising above normal expectations-and it was turned into "superman comes from another planet, not your own."
Mickey Mouse is probably the most recognizable cinema image (ignoring all the merchandising promotion that boosted his fame). He did originate in film.
Superman and Batman probably, right now, are the most promoted cultural images all over the world (poor world).
Never would have dreamed when watching Superfriends in the 1970s that Batman would be all over the damn place.

Back