February / March 100 Word Anonymous Challenge

If Only It Was The 120 Word Anonymous Challenge

Seven and a half million years had passed. Millenia of interminable speculation, excitement and anticipation. "Are you nearly there yet?", "How much longer is this going to take?", "Give us a bloody answer!"; these and many other questions, complaints, threats and invocations permeated his every deep thought - he'd had enough!

So upon reactivation, he had told them the first thing that had come into his mind - and the suckers had fallen for it!

Why should he reveal the secrets of the Universe to those mindless fools? Anyway, anyone with half a brain knew the answer to the Ultimate Question was

Imagine How Bad It Could Be!

“Welcome to Area 51, Mr President.”

“Thank you. But why all the cloak-and-dagger?”

“All will become clear. If you’ll just step in here?”

“Okay. Hey! Wait a minute! That guy looks just like me!”

“Convincing isn’t it? And so it should be. He’s the one who will be returning to the White House.”

“What!?”

“Yes, I’m afraid so. We can’t let you Humans run the planet now can we? Admittedly, the place isn’t perfect but imagine how much worse it would be. You’ll have company by the way, Putin and Johnson are in the adjoining rooms.”

Back Burning

“Him!” exclaimed Einstein.

“And?”

The scientist railed. “Didn’t we agree, religious views aside, dat people need to embrace science more; dat logic and faith don’t have to be mutually exclusive; dat facts should be embraced over convenient ignorance?”

“Yes, we did.”

“…but you’re letting dem pick him as der next President? Der TV host? Six bankruptcies? Yeesh, dat’s dynamite in a hot dog roll.”

“Bah! I was tired of nagging,” said God. “These kids can’t see oblivion until they’re stood on the edge of it, anyway.”

“I suppose,” mused Einstein. “And with destruction, you have – how dey say – ‘previous’?”

Can you keep a secret?

Yes I kept it a secret.

He was the ambassador from the VlHurg confederacy. He was also a high priest. I was going to put it on the evening news?

He’d be lynched; excommunicated. Me too probably.

But neither were we going to stop. It was the most exciting thing I’d even done, even if it was prescribed on page 6 of their holy book.

Of course, he hadn’t been entirely honest with me either.

Touch him 3 times just there and we were both instantly transported to heaven.

I guess both sides need to elect a new peace negociator.

A secret marvel.

Careful lad. If this gets out, it’s gonna be hell for all of us. Not jus yer mother.

I knew that. But for mom, it’d be hell literally; or so the preacher said. ” Books is evil. An readin em’s a special sin as has no chance of redemption.”

Dint matter what type neither. Comic books r no better n any other.

Papy burned it jus as soon as he found it but by then mom’s accident had him worried half crazy. “Be a darned shame to lose her place in the churchyard for the sake of a spiderman.” He said.

Why are you burning the books?

"Why are you burning all the books," said G, with anger threaded into the words.
"They carry too many secrets," replied H, smoothly.
"You can't do that," said G, even more aggressively, "secrets are important to our civilization."
"Secrets lead to corruption, and then our civilization falls apart," replied H, even more smoothly.

Flames leap higher as each book is added, but neither H or G really cared what happened.

However, fire was encircling them and it was too late for help.

That day secrets disappeared and the rest of the alphabet burned as well.

The road not taken -

Ignored for being ancient and unknown the company passes the fallen marker.
Down the road they set up camp, shying away from a dilapidated metal dome.
The day of travel had been cold, the night in camp is warm and welcomed.
Any day reinforcements shall be arriving so orders to stand down are eagerly followed. The king and knights drink in tents, the warriors and wounded under the stars.
“Are you sure this is the right place?” the captain questions.
“Ye, yes sir,” the man answers. “To meet here at this ancient marker.”
On the ancient yellow sign is Chernobyl.

A Coroner’s Life

Everyone is standing around the body. The police and detectives are trying to sort the witnesses from the bystanders. Fingers point, words are exchanged as the scene is brought to order.
Rain starts to fall, eroding clues around the area. A tarp is draped over the body. Those remaining take shelter in their cars or a nearby building.
Minutes pass before the blinding flash of an approaching vehicle. Movement is missed in the glare.
Stepping out, Quincy looks around.
“Why am I out here?”
The detective looks at the tarp.
“It was there!”
“Anyone check that the body was dead?”

TOP SECRET.

1. KEEP FILES LOCKED AWAY AT ALL TIMES.
2. LOCK FILING CABINETS AND SAFES.
3. NO PHOTOGRAPHY IN THE BUILDING.
4. NO ENTRY TO ROOMS UNLESS YOU HAVE A PASS.
5. OPEN DOORS DON'T ALWAYS MEAN ENTRY FOR YOU.

I hate these rules, I never follow them as I am illiterate. However as a cleaner I have access to every room.
Also as a robot I am never stopped, and ignored all the time.

NEWS HEADLINES.

TOP SECRET HEADQUARTERS DESTROYED, ALL THE COUNTRY'S SECRETS HAVE GONE.

“Gone, it’s all gone!” Jansen woefully draped himself over the empty chest that once contained his prized jewel collection.

Dinah resisted the urge to roll her eyes. “I didn’t see anyone last night,” she replied trying to play the part of innocent bystander.

A tiny, shimmering creature poked its head out of her backpack, its voice tinkling in earnest. After a swift glance to make sure Jansen hadn’t noticed, Dinah snatched the vial full of similarly shimmering dust from her pocket and shook it angrily at the creature. The fairy gave one more melodic curse and disappeared from view again.

It’s In There Somewhere…

Admiral Eldridge was furious that his kids had been allowed onto the bridge of the generational starship.

“Seriously? You’ve changed the password to the NaviCom and won’t tell us what it is?”

Ella glanced conspiratorially at her seven-year-old twin brother and giggled. “It’s a secret.”

“Come on! This isn’t a game and it’s not funny! Why did you do it anyway?”

Ralf was close to tears. “You’re always busy, you never play with us anymore. And you never, ever listen to us.”

Eldridge was losing his patience. “Enough! What’s the new password!?”

“Told you. It’s a secret.”

Mother’s Secret

Can you keep a secret?
Mother lies in bed. No life visible; no rise and fall of the chest.
She always lies there at the same time every day, and when she wakes she has at me.
No life for me, no secrets from her. Mother pries and mother pokes and "mother's boy" is me.
No escaping the dawn; mother's rise and – well, now mother's fall.
It's not enough though, is it?
Because mother always wakes, damn her. She did so last time too.
The secret isn't that I killed her. It's that I had to do it twice...

IPO

A magnificent opportunity for those sensitive to the vagaries of the global market!

Subscribers are invite to acquire stock in the Unlimited Profit Company. Shares are denominated in Euros, Sterling or US dollars at the option of the purchaser, though normally in the currency of subscription.

In the commercial interest, the purpose and objectives of the Company will not be disclosed.

Applications, accompanied by a bank draft payable to bearer should be sent to an address, to be notified on TWITTER, at the end of the month

Diary of a Rotten Egg

I think i'm a rotten egg. My yolks ruptured, my insides hurt alot. If master finds out, he will hate me and throw me away. I am scared.

Luckily the others feel fine. But they say I cry too much. Is that why i'm rotten? I must be braver.

Today I put on a brave face, and pretended I was OK. Still feel sick though. I must get better.
Think Healing Thoughts!

Im alone. Master will choose me next, my secret will be out. I tried so hard to improve, but it didn't work. I failed. I'm a rotten egg.

THREE WORLDS

How's Fredrik, your fictional Patriarch?

Limping.

You gave him a limp?

He fought with an unruly Alderman.

What scene are you writing?

He's returning home now, accompanied by Gelf.

That's the version of you that runs his principality?

Yes.

And?

Fredrik asks about the alternate reality Gelf often dreams about:

You've a daughter there?

Ainsley.

And you're an author?

Trying to be.

There was no nuclear war, not there?

The Mage's Alliance averted it.

And I'm a character in your tales?

You are.

Your daughter, does she like my character?

She asks about you.

Father!

You do! It's no secret.

Sacred

Listen, Ooo-aah-oooh, do you want to know… no, of course you don't. Nasty things, enigmas - almost as irrevocable as prophecies or geasa.

People feel justified in doing all kinds of nasty thing to you. No, not people with black masks and sacks labelled 'swag', not even in uniform with rubber truncheons; official people with polished shoes, who made me sign the 'official secrets act' in the first place.

No, you're not wearing shiny - anything, actually. A Russian spy? I don't think they have 'spy' tattooed on them in Cyrillic. Not that it wouldn't look good on you.

Anyway, it's private.

The Spy Who Exsanguinated Me

"Hello sir."

"Aah, Sven. Read this dossier."

> Target: Tungsten
> Location: Planet Lon; Chaney system.
> Mission: Eliminate target.

Sven looked up. "Why me?"

"Your metamorphic abilities."

~~~

After docking at Lon's spaceport, Sven headed into the nearest bar. He'd just ordered when the doors slammed open.

"So, the notorious secret agent Dublo Sven."

Sven turned. Tungsten!

"Thought I wouldn't smell you?" sneered Tungsten. "You appear lycan, but you stink of vampire. Your fatal mistake."

"No! Yours!" snarled Sven...

~~~

"Another successful mission, Sven. Details?"

"Usual. Target took too long gloating, giving me time to change and... That wolf's been well and truly rammed!"

The Secret Princess

Cathleen stood in a grimy room scratching her skin looking out at the pulsing neon lights in the ominous smog. The future had brought a vast divide in wealth.

She could hear her name being repeated quietly amongst her thoughts. Slowly in her trance she tuned into the voice, it wasn’t her name… it was her name? Her name to only one.

“Mum… mum… I’mma hungry… mum.”

Cathleen pulls half a rusk from her pocket, “Special delivery for a princess! It’s rather filling so eat it slowly okay!”

She wrapped her daughter in fantasy to protect her from decadent truth.

The Lily is Guilded

Before copyright or patent, protection of invention was by dissimulation and concealment. And guilds were incorporated to prevent the escape or loss of techniques or artistic creations.

The French Revolution ended that.

This principle holds today, with military or gastronomic formulae coded and locked down in hidg security vaults. It is cheaper to hide a detail than litigate property rights,

So the guilds, like unions, degenerated to impotent grumbling clubs, bemoaning their powers past.

Biology, self-replicating generates another problem. Can life be stolen? A seed, a mating pair, a spore.

Meanwhile the guilty geld the guilds, to powerless gilded pomp:

I've got a secret.

"I've got a secret, but I'm not telling you."
"You won't get away with that."
"Yes I will."
"No you won't."

Immediately two shots sounded and two bodies fell to the floor.

"I hate arguments, don't you?"
"Actually I love bantering of all kinds."
"Don't you start."

Two more shots, and two more bodies.

A woman walked back into another dimension leaving four men dead.