Bick's Reviews on Tangent Online

Bick

A Member of the Forum
Supporter
The cover of this issue is interesting. The cover is given over to the Bossert story, which was a dreadful bore, while the best story, by Ahmad, was not referenced at all on the cover. The moral of this story: what's on the cover is unrelated to the quality of the contents!

Bick

A Member of the Forum
Supporter
My review of Lightspeed #134 - July 2021 is now up on Tangent Online.

Quite a good issue, with some interesting stories, though none that were truly excellent. I felt the best story was the time travel story A Smell of Jet Fuel by Andrew Dana Hudson.

1627863422834.png

Bick

A Member of the Forum
Supporter
My Review of Clarkesworld #179 - August 2021 is now up on Tangent Online.

A mixed bag, with some enjoyable stories, but also two poor translated stories. The best story was a steampunk tale: The Clock, Having Seen Its Face in the Mirror, Still Knows Not the Hour by Adam Stemple (which was better than the title might suggest).

1628381392918.png

alexvss

Just a Latin American Lad.
My Review of Clarkesworld #179 - August 2021 is now up on Tangent Online.

A mixed bag, with some enjoyable stories, but also two poor translated stories. The best story was a steampunk tale: The Clock, Having Seen Its Face in the Mirror, Still Knows Not the Hour by Adam Stemple (which was better than the title might suggest).

View attachment 80753
Hey, I liked that title! :LOL:

And I agree about the translations. They just feel off. I guess something always gets lost on translations, specially from distant cultures like the Chinese.

Bick

A Member of the Forum
Supporter
My review of Analog - Sep/Oct 2021 is now up on Tangent Online.

Quite a mixed bag of decent and weaker stories. The best story was probably Room to Live by Marie Vibbert, who's work also seems to get recommended. The Soul is Ten Thousand Parts by Chelsea Obodoechina and the novella The Silence Before I Sleep by Adam-Troy Castro, are also worth a read.

1631221248046.png

Bick

A Member of the Forum
Supporter
My review of The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction - Nov/Dec 2021 is now up on Tangent Online.

A rather mixed bag of stories, with several I really didn't care for (I would suggest skipping the Nalo Hopkinson novelette and the novella by Natalia Theodoridou). It's interesting the editor chose to highlight these 'misses' on the cover. On the flip-side, the fantasy Laki by Eleanor Arneson was excellent and the SF noir thriller A Vast Silence by T. R. Napper was also good.

FSF-11-12-21.jpg