Underrated Monsters and Villains

Timebender

What are some monsters or villains from Doctor Who that you think are underrated? Given the sheer volume of them in the show's history, there should be plenty.

Personally, I think the Smilers from "The Beast Below" are underrated, I think their "gimmick" of the rotating faces is really creepy and cool, and something that would really have creeped me out if I had seen it as a kid.

I'd love to see the Vardans back, or maybe Axos. Their abilities + our modern techno-centric society would make for some great paranoia fuel. To a lesser extent, Axos, but I think their third Doctor story is just as relevent today as it was then so I don't know if there's any more new ground for it.

The Toclafane. A really nasty concept: an army of giggling psychopathic cyborgs who are basically just severed heads inside heavily armed drones. It seems like the kind of thing that might emerge again through parallel evolution, like Cybermen.

The Vashta Nerada: carnivourous shadows. Surprised they haven't been back, their story was so good.

The Krynoid. Revenge of the plants!

hey everyone how are you :)

I think the Slitheen , very cool idea lots of potential , I wrote a lot about why I want them back in a post in another Doctor Who Forum Website so more details are available if anyone is interested :)

Take Care Everyone Hugs :)

Regards - Declan Sargent

hey everyone how are you :)

I think the Slitheen , very cool idea lots of potential , I wrote a lot about why I want them back in a post in another Doctor Who Forum Website so more details are available if anyone is interested :)

Take Care Everyone Hugs :)

Regards - Declan Sargent

I found it interesting that the Slitheen weren't a species. They were a family of criminals, which left it open that we could meet other, more benign or neutral members of their species. This is unusually nuanced for "Doctor Who," where entire alien species are so often cast as adversaries. It's a shame there wasn't more of a follow-up on this idea. I'd love to see a story about the Slitheen set on their home planet - "Gangs of Raxacoricofallapatorius"!

The Animus - from The Web Planet (Zarbi ruler and Great Old One)
I didn't know a lot about the Animus bar vague memories of the novelisation. Looked it up on the Tardis wiki, and yes, that's a fascinating monster all right! A bit like the (rather later) Great Intelligence, but with more Lovecraftian biological horror going on. Uses existing life-forms as slaves rather than creating its own from scratch. Both effects-wise and script-wise, it'd be interesting to see what the modern series could do with it.

The Silurians were interesting, in that they weren't aliens and actually pre-dated the human race on Earth. They simply wanted to get their planet back, which (if the positions were reversed) humans would probably have done the same thing to them.

And , in the new series , they ended up going into outer space.

Planet of Evil The antimatter monsters. With such limited budget and special effects , this one is really quite impressive ! Imagine this one with a large production budget and as a feature film ! :cool:

I found it interesting that the Slitheen weren't a species. They were a family of criminals, which left it open that we could meet other, more benign or neutral members of their species. This is unusually nuanced for "Doctor Who," where entire alien species are so often cast as adversaries. It's a shame there wasn't more of a follow-up on this idea. I'd love to see a story about the Slitheen set on their home planet - "Gangs of Raxacoricofallapatorius"!

Hey Fiberglass how are you :)

Yeah its a thought to consider :) I keep thinking (mostly cause of my love of the Slitheen) that we may get a friendly Slitheen aboard the Tarids like a companion, but your never quite sure if they are gonna trick the Doctor or worse attack one of the companions and hide in them aboard the Tardis :)

The thing is like you say you have to remember they are a family not a species, I think there or 4 or 5 families on their planet and if you watch The Sarah Jane Adventures in the first Slitheen ep they mention two of the families the Hostrozeen and the Blathereen the later of which we see in a future ep :)

In the first ep you really get a sense of that family connection and you kinda feel sad each time they lose a member of their family or when they lose as their motives are to give a better life to their children like we would do just not in Slitheen ways.

Lots of Potential for Slitheen stories and new additions :)

Regards - Declan Sargent

The Happiness Patrol and especially The Kandyman. They appeared at the very death of the original series so there was next to no money spent of the costumes, and little more on the story, but I still like the concept of a police force that will make you enjoy yourself even if it kills you.
Well then, you are not not happy any more...
It could have become a very Orwellian presentation given the right writing.

The Happiness Patrol and especially The Kandyman. They appeared at the very death of the original series so there was next to no money spent of the costumes, and little more on the story, but I still like the concept of a police force that will make you enjoy yourself even if it kills you.
Well then, you are not not happy any more...
It could have become a very Orwellian presentation given the right writing.

hey CupofJoe how are you :)

You look at The Candy Or Kandy with a k I am not sure but you look at The CandyMan and you think wow what a cracker its funny they are ripping of the sweet brand but then you see The Candy Man at work and oh wow he is a great and scary villain :)

I hear lots of people say the story is overlooked and they say why cause its really well told like great ideas ect :) interesting thank you for reminding us all of this great story it makes us happy hehe :)

Regards - Declan Sargent

Hey Fiberglass how are you :)

Yeah its a thought to consider :) I keep thinking (mostly cause of my love of the Slitheen) that we may get a friendly Slitheen aboard the Tarids like a companion, but your never quite sure if they are gonna trick the Doctor or worse attack one of the companions and hide in them aboard the Tardis :)

The thing is like you say you have to remember they are a family not a species, I think there or 4 or 5 families on their planet and if you watch The Sarah Jane Adventures in the first Slitheen ep they mention two of the families the Hostrozeen and the Blathereen the later of which we see in a future ep :)

In the first ep you really get a sense of that family connection and you kinda feel sad each time they lose a member of their family or when they lose as their motives are to give a better life to their children like we would do just not in Slitheen ways.

Lots of Potential for Slitheen stories and new additions :)

Regards - Declan Sargent
Or a Raxocoricofalapatorian (sp?) of another family as a companion? I can imagine the Doctor constantly having to tell people "Don't panic, she's a Glutherween, not a Slitheen!"

The Matt Smith story "Rings of Akhaten" doesn't get a lot of love, but I do really like the multi-species civilisation it's set in. All these aliens just going about their business in the marketplace, like we're on Tatooine or something.... I think it's a shame they didn't re-use some of those character designs to populate the Whoniverse with ordinary-Joe aliens.