Tolkien: "I am myself a member of...fandom"; thoughts on a movie of LotR

He would very likely dislike all the various film and tv incarnations of The Hobbit and the LOTR . I would imagine he would be even more dismayed by Rings of Power.

Last edited:
Film Director John Boorman was offered the chance to adapt LOTR in the early 70s, after Universal decided that his treatment for Excalibur was too expensive. (How they expected LOTR to come in less I've no idea.) Boorman corresponded briefly with Tolkien about it, and Tolkien apparently was fairly amenable to the idea then, though possibly mostly just relieved that it wouldn't be a cartoon. (Somewhat ironic given what happened later in the 70s.)

Film Director John Boorman was offered the chance to adapt LOTR in the early 70s, after Universal decided that his treatment for Excalibur was too expensive. (How they expected LOTR to come in less I've no idea.) Boorman corresponded briefly with Tolkien about it, and Tolkien apparently was fairly amenable to the idea then, though possibly mostly just relieved that it wouldn't be a cartoon. (Somewhat ironic given what happened later in the 70s.)

Im thinking that Boorman would have done a very good LOTR film. He might have also cast Christopher Lee in the role of Gandalf . :)

Im thinking that Boorman would have done a very good LOTR film. He might have also cast Christopher Lee in the role of Gandalf . :)
It's hard to say. I would like to know more about how he envisaged it. Apparently some of the set designs etc were later used for Excalibur, but I'm not sure which (nor can I guess).

It's hard to say. I would like to know more about how he envisaged it. Apparently some of the set designs etc were later used for Excalibur, but I'm not sure which (nor can I guess).

I would to have seen his visualizations places like Moria and Mordor .:)