Do you read magazines?

Interzone is the only one I read regularly. Been a subscriber for 20 years. They seem to be going through a rocky patch at the moment- I really hope they pull through.

No, never very much.

Since I read some SF short stories from Project Gutenberg and they are from old magazines you might say I started 60 years late.

I still read and enjoy print magazines. Depends on the genre.

only ones I like are Star Wars Insider and Horror Hound and a little bit of Rue Morgue. 18 years ago I loved EGM/Electronic Gaming Monthly Magazine and old Fangoria

I stopped magazines when OMNI stopped. There was simply nothing else that could provide that rich spectrum of fact and good fiction. Occasionally I come across old copies but they are increasingly rare. Ebay is the go to for unread editions, but even with those we are in the Commodore PET era for tech articles.
I believe there may be an opening for something similar. Then again fantasy dominates the world now, it is a different public to my generation.

I have the obligation to read them, for I'm in a mission to being published by them! :rolleyes: I must say though: I often get disappointed. It's much more likely for me to rage-quit than to read a story all the way to the end, but there are some happy exceptions. The magazines that I am most fortunate with are the Escape Artists Podcasts, especially Escape Pod. I also like the dark fantasy magazine The Common Tongue (not just because I work there :whistle::whistle:)

Online magazines? Sure. I subscribe to several, from tech to news & culture ones. Real magazines are rarer. I read The Economist from my library, but they call themselves a 'newspaper', and the library bookstore usually has copies of magazines from a few months ago available for free. If the topic interests me I'll pick one up and read a few articles.

Online magazines? Sure. I subscribe to several, from tech to news & culture ones. Real magazines are rarer. I read The Economist from my library, but they call themselves a 'newspaper', and the library bookstore usually has copies of magazines from a few months ago available for free. If the topic interests me I'll pick one up and read a few articles.
The Economist is published weekly and it contains very densely-written news and comment. Apart from the magazine-like format I think it qualifies as a newspapaper. I think that as a newspaper it also gets preferential treatment by the postal services.

I subscribed to ANALOG continuously from sometime in the mid-eighties until a few years ago. Also subscribed to Asimov's continuously from sometime in the mid-nineties until a couple of years ago. Still subscribing to Fantasy and Science Fiction for the last ten years, or so.

I read 'em all cover to cover. Makes it easier to keep track of which stories I've read.

There's a lot of mediocrity between the gems. So it goes and ever has.

Editors retiring and dying off changed the sensibilities and editorial focus (to the worse, sez the old coot, of course) and at some point I realized they were dominating most of my reading time and I was enjoying it less; so F & SF is the only genre mag that hasn't been allowed to lapse. Yet.

I also take Smithsonian and National Geographic. Always fascinating articles and spectacular photography.

I subscribed to ANALOG continuously from sometime in the mid-eighties until a few years ago. Also subscribed to Asimov's continuously from sometime in the mid-nineties until a couple of years ago. Still subscribing to Fantasy and Science Fiction for the last ten years, or so.

I read 'em all cover to cover. Makes it easier to keep track of which stories I've read.

There's a lot of mediocrity between the gems. So it goes and ever has.

Editors retiring and dying off changed the sensibilities and editorial focus (to the worse, sez the old coot, of course) and at some point I realized they were dominating most of my reading time and I was enjoying it less; so F & SF is the only genre mag that hasn't been allowed to lapse. Yet.

I also take Smithsonian and National Geographic. Always fascinating articles and spectacular photography.
Working through my 2021 backlog of Fantasy and Science Fiction.
So many good novels to read, so little time time ...

F&SF
Galaxy
Venture
If
Unknown
Astounding
Weird Tales
Startling Stories
Amazing

I have shelves and shelves and boxes full of old SF magazines from the 50s through to the 1990s. When I moved to the country and couldn't walk to my local bookshop and pick up that month's F&SF I got out of the habit.
Subscriptions. Weekly: Spirou and The Phoenix. Kids comics but fun. Monthly:The Fortian Times. I used to get Empire Magazine but just got fed up with it's endless wall to wall coverage of Star Wars and Superhero movies and its increasing merging of film into TV into gaming into webseries... It mutated from being a magazine about film into a magazine about anything watched on a screen - and then mostly only if it was juvenile action orientated CGI heavy pap.

( ps Sorry scrolling up I realise I said this 'up thread' but there is additional information here)

No, the only magazine I used to subscribe to was Omni.
I did, and still do, consider it to have been the best magazine ever issued. It new exactly what I was looking for and that is a rare thing indeed.

from Wikipedia: Penthouse Global Media acquired Omni in 2017, and announced plans for a new print issue, to commence publication on 24 October.[21] The issue was published, and billed as the Winter 2017 issue, the first on a quarterly schedule[22] but no further issues were ever published.

I see that there is some kind of online incarnation. I know nothing about it, will check it to see if anything of the original
(There is some fiction in it here to check out what they are buying should they fire it up again.)

Last edited:
The only magazine I occasionally buy is 'Retro Gamer'. There have been times when I have felt the urge to buy 2000AD, but as I've never been a regular reader, I feel I will get lost mid-story and mid-character with what's happening. Then I see the price of 2000Ad nowadays :oops: