Wiki Software

Venusian Broon

Defending the SF genre with terminal intensity
Supporter
Ahoy more experienced users of obscure software.

Does anyone have a recommendation or actively uses software for setting up a personal, private wiki ? i.e. one that I can only see on my Windows PC. Free preferrably.

I understand the basics for setting up a WAMP server (I think I've already got one somewhere, but it's hiding from me) so not afraid of technicalities.

I've found a few on 'best of' lists, so things like DokuWiki, but if someone has an opinion on something else, etc. I am all ears.

Cheers.

I did a bit of research for myself fairly recently, and since, I too, am a fan of 'free' I found the following to be best of bunch

I found Zim the one to suit my needs, but of course it all depends on what you want. Some reviewers prefer CherryTree

I came across Zim - it looks relatively simple. Is it 'plug and play'?

I might just download a batch and see how they feel.

I came across Zim - it looks relatively simple. Is it 'plug and play'?
I'm on Linux, and both were 'plug and play'. Looking at the download pages, I reckon they should be on Windows as well

I might just download a batch and see how they feel.
That's the beauty of free stuff, no need to 'try before you buy', just try them all (y)

VB, are you entirely set on a self-hosted, local solution?
It's really just for notes and thoughts for various projects, nothing special - been collecting loads of stuff using M$ Word and liked the idea of having something a bit more wiki-like and organised. I have no desire to connect to it when I'm not on my PC (nor do I want to sign up and pay a monthly fee to the various worldbuilding sites that have wiki solutions, for them to hold onto potential work! :))

It's really just for notes and thoughts for various projects, nothing special - been collecting loads of stuff using M$ Word and liked the idea of having something a bit more wiki-like and organised. I have no desire to connect to it when I'm not on my PC (nor do I want to sign up and pay a monthly fee to the various worldbuilding sites that have wiki solutions, for them to hold onto potential work! :))
And you can safely manage your own backups, too.

I'd plug the free Quoll Writer again. Unfortunately, the website appears to be offline right now but as I saw an update post on the new version just a couple of days ago I'm sure it's a temporary thing and not a discontinuation.

It has a Wiki built into the software that will auto-link on names and stuff. This means you could have a character profile mentioning where that character was born with it automatically creating a link to that location's information if it exists in another entry.

It would show you how often and in what chapters these things are mentioned if you happen to be using it to write in as well - which you don't have to.

It also has some other storyboarding features you'd find in the paid-for worldbuilding and writing programs - though I don't have much use for them personally.

Overall it's a pretty simple and powerful free bit of kit that handles a ton of stuff and which I like more than Scrivener. Plus it has a brand new version coming out soon(ish) which looks to be a lot more polished.

Look it up and if you can't find a working download link I'd be happy to send it to you direct.

Found another standalone note-taking app that gets a lot of favourable mentions: Joplin

I like the sound of this feature:
"The notes can be synchronised with various cloud services including Nextcloud, Dropbox, OneDrive, WebDAV or the file system (for example with a network directory). When synchronising the notes, notebooks, tags and other metadata are saved to plain text files which can be easily inspected, backed up and moved around."

Which I assume means you could use the desktop and mobile versions and keep everything in synch

It's really just for notes and thoughts for various projects, nothing special - been collecting loads of stuff using M$ Word and liked the idea of having something a bit more wiki-like and organised.
Have you thought about mind-mapping software?