Questions about KDP account setup

I'm trying to set up my Amazon KDP account but there's one thing that concerns me. When entering the author/publisher information after putting in a U.S. address, will KDP reject it if I try to input an international phone number? I want to publish to the U.S. marketplace despite living overseas.

I don't know the answer to your question. However, if you have a branch of Amazon in the country you are living in and you access and use KDP through that, the book you publish there should also be available in other Amazon markets including the US.

You need to declare where you are. Mostly because of VAT or any other country specific taxes.
However as @Teresa Edgerton mentioned--and depending on the specifics of Amazon contracts with different countries--you will be available for several or all or most countries where Amazon has markets.

I'm trying to set up my Amazon KDP account but there's one thing that concerns me. When entering the author/publisher information after putting in a U.S. address, will KDP reject it if I try to input an international phone number? I want to publish to the U.S. marketplace despite living overseas.

You don't need a US address or US phone number to sell on Amazon. It's an international publishing platform.

The only issue is that if you live outside the US, you will need to fill in a W8-BEN tax declaration, which Amazon provides as part of the set up.

@Brian G Turner Although that does not answer my question, thanks for the advice. I know that Amazon is an international publishing platform. What I wanted to know was if I choose the US as the place of residence, will I be unable to enter an international number? Since I still pay taxes to the US, wouldn't it make more sense to choose them as the residence location and default marketplace?

My memory is not all that it could be, but I think the default marketplace is all the Amazons. When you upload a book and enter the price, they show you what it is going to sell for at all their other locations. My sales report also shows how much I have made in each of those markets for the month in question.

If your are doing this to avoid paying taxes somewhere...
@Brian G Turner Although that does not answer my question, thanks for the advice. I know that Amazon is an international publishing platform. What I wanted to know was if I choose the US as the place of residence, will I be unable to enter an international number? Since I still pay taxes to the US, wouldn't it make more sense to choose them as the residence location and default marketplace?
it might not be wise.
The first question that comes up is Where is your primary place of residence?

Also the answer to your question is that wherever you publish from it should end up in the US market it doesn't rely on publishing from US.

On the other hand if you publish through a US publisher through traditional publishing they would take care of a lot of your questions.
If you have an international phone and are in a non-US country: how do you have a US address.
eg; are you a US citizen living temporarily in a foreign country?

There is something possibly missing from your question that might help clear up the answers,