How does covid affect book/magazine publishing

TomMazanec

I could see covid torpedoing movie/TV production...you can't film with everybody wearing masks...but does the pandemic hurt the printed word? Can't you do everything in that field by computer nowadays?

I would imagine you can still produce magazines, but i would bet that the articles just aren't quite as good. Magazines by their nature are a creative field and I would imagine that there is a lot of subconscious information exchanged that takes place when you are working with colleagues in an office. You can't get that in a working from home atmosphere.

I'm not sure what is behind your rush of questions recently on books/magazines and publishing, and it might help others to give you the information you actually need if you were more forthcoming as to whether there is an agenda here or all of this is idle -- frankly, very idle -- curiosity.

If people are ill or anxious or grieving or at their wits' end over home schooling or loss of income or freedom, they're not going to be able to write well or quickly, and perhaps not at all. That's going to mean the stories aren't going to be there, or aren't going to be as good. Editors may also be sick or worried or depressed or simply rushed off their feet looking after shielding relatives or covering for others who can't work, so won't be able to produce at their best. And so it goes on all down the line. And that's without factoring in the loss of collegiate thinking and help when people are working from home and can't meet, not to mention all the issues of how to sell books when bookshops are closed and even when open are largely deserted because a great many people are frightened to enter shops.

The publishing business is not filled with and run by AIs or automatons. Perhaps if you actually thought about the real impact of Covid and the terrible strain it's putting on so many people everywhere you would be able to understand how it affects everything, not just the visuals of film.

As a bookseller with a closed shop, the answer is a big impact, particularly on the lower selling and middle list authors (the supermarkets are still selling their version of best selling novels), which is what many readers like. But! bookstores are still open to phone, email and SM enquiry and most are delivering locally and this place (bookshop Uk - the link will take you to us on it, as that's the default I have set, but you can search out your local store on their map) is still taking orders, posting and delivering The Secret Bookshelf Bookshop UK so it's not all doom and gloom. But I've already noticed a couple of titles that were supposed to be out in January being pushed back.

I bet ebooks have really soared in the past twelve months, right (of course almost all my purchases have been Kindle for several years now)?

How does a publisher sell books when all the high street book stores are closed?
They have just said on BBC News a few minutes ago not to order that "click and collect" parcel if you don't need it. I really "need" that "Stop that Leak" aerosol spray that I ordered, but could I ever justify ordering fiction books? However, I guess this is bordering on World Affairs, so I think the short answer to that question is "very poorly"?

They have just said on BBC News a few minutes ago not to order that "click and collect" parcel if you don't need it. I really "need" that "Stop that Leak" aerosol spray that I ordered, but could I ever justify ordering fiction books? However, I guess this is bordering on World Affairs, so I think the short answer to that question is "very poorly"?
Go to bookshop.org. Order but not on Amazon :)

Some of us do need fiction books to maintain our sanity during the lockdown. But I can see how people who have been out of work for months simply can't afford them.

Reactions: Hex

Back